Recovering from failed BIOS flash on Asus K8V SE Deluxe

Old September 18th 04, 05:40 AM
William R. Minto

Default Recovering from failed BIOS flash on Asus K8V SE Deluxe

I have an Asus K8V SE Deluxe which came with BIOS 1001. After
installing Windows XP SP2 for the third time (and changing to the
"AlwaysOff" option for DEP in boot.ini) I downloaded afudos 2.11 and
the latest 1004 BIOS.
After booting to a floppy and flashing the BIOS which appeared to go
OK, when I rebooted ... "System failed due to CPU Overclocking" said
the voice.

I talked myself out of switching to Fedora Core or OSX for my main box
for the fifth time this week, and called Asus to get a trouble ticket.
The tech was helpful and patient as I unscrewed the covers off my
case.

Here is what worked for me:

(1) Follow the instructions to clear the clock (RTC RAM) from the
manual. Briefly, move the jumper, pop the battery, move the jumper
back. Power back up and ...
(2) Boot to floppy and reflash the BIOS.
(3) Go into the BIOS setup ([Del] key) to fix your boot settings.
(4) Reboot.
(5) Set the system clock to the current time.

Luckily the BIOS was not damaged, and the system boots fine ... the
second time.
Good luck to anyone else who tried afudos and it hosed their BIOS the
first time.
Old September 18th 04, 04:40 PM
Mike

[...]

I've had this mobo for several months now and it does seem to be occasionally
susceptible to bios corruption after a flash, necessitating a ram reset to
remedy the problem..
ie. as you found and fixed above.

I found that it needs the battery jumper removed for several minutes to clear
the cmos to reset it, unlike some mobo's which clears in a few seconds.

I assume that putting the battery jumper on pins 2 & 3 as suggested in the book
is intended to dissipate any charge in capacitors etc. But IMO its always taken
several minutes to effect this. So remove battery jumper and place on 2 & 3 or
just leave it off for 10 minutes (go have a cup of tea) always worked for me.

Mike