ABIT TH7IIRAID - Anyone got one working with Win98se & a HT 3.06ghz+ P4 ?

Old April 23rd 04, 11:08 PM
127.0.0.1

Default ABIT TH7IIRAID - Anyone got one working with Win98se & a HT 3.06ghz+ P4 ?

On my P4 TH7IIRAID board I am using a P4 3.06Ghz processor with a 533Mhz
Bus.

Settings a

133 FSB
23 x Multipler
CPU Default Voltage
RDRAM 300 x

After a fresh install of Win98SE on a formatted drive it will lock up when
it comes to detecting PnP drivers.
In the logs I find:

[000F2A88] Starting Unknown (HTREE\RESERVED\0)
[000F2A88] Started Unknown (HTREE\RESERVED\0)
[000F2A88] Enumerating Unknown (HTREE\RESERVED\0)
[000F2A88] Enumerated Unknown (HTREE\RESERVED\0)

What is this its finding ?

Has anyone with a Hyper Threading processor got Win98se to work ? Or is thie
BIOS bugged (version EH) ?

Putting the an older P4 1.7 works straight way so I assume its something to
do with the P4 3.06 processor. As it a fresh install
with no cards except a graphics card in there.

Old April 23rd 04, 11:10 PM
127.0.0.1

Forgot to say WinXP works fine its only Windows98 that has a problem.

Old April 24th 04, 06:44 AM
John Lewis

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 23:08:14 +0100, "127.0.0.1"
wrote:

[...]

The 850 chip-set does not physically support hyperthreading. It seems
as if WinXP recognises and avoids inappropriate calls but Win98SE
apparently doesn't. The BIOS, of course gives no HT choice (since the
850 chip-set does not support HT).
When Win XP comes up, how many processors do you see in Device
Manager ? You should only see one....

Of course, I am assuming that you loaded a motherboard driver
appropriate for both the TH7II and Win98SE. Presumably you
have since the P4 1.7 works OK ?

John Lewis

Old April 24th 04, 01:32 PM
127.0.0.1

[...]

Yes I can only see 1 CPU. If I use utils like PCWizard they can see the HT
features.

Of course, I am assuming that you loaded a motherboard driver
appropriate for both the TH7II and Win98SE. Presumably you
have since the P4 1.7 works OK ?

Yes on the older installation.

On a formatted installation of 98 it will not get to allow me to install the
drivers.. except in safe mode - but
when I go to normal mode it will freeze.

I've got a hard disk free.. im gonna install various O/S and see how they
react..

Old April 24th 04, 10:14 PM
Chris

Disable the onboard network/ethernet port

Windows 98 has big problems when running a processor above 2ghz and
connected to a network card.

try disabling the onboard lan then do a clean install, see how you get on.

I went through this around 18 months ago when I had an abit kd7 and an
xp2400+. worked fine until I overclocked it to 2.2ghz (200x11) then it
refused to boot. Microsoft know of this problem and there was a different
network driver file available for 98/se, but only on request. It was at
that point I gave up on 98(se) and went to xp home on my games machine. If
you dont need the onboard lan, disable it thru bios.

my 2p

hth, chris