Problem With GA-7VT600(-L) and Graphic Cards

Old February 6th 07, 11:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Roberto Panagos

Default Problem With GA-7VT600(-L) and Graphic Cards

Hello i am a newbee here,
i am sorry if i bother you , i have the following PC Parts
GA-7VT600(-L) motherboard with bios version F6
AMD Athlon XP 2600+
System memory 1G RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GS (256MB)

so my problem is that i have changed 2 graphic cards. I had a Geforce
6600 and some day my monitor had the indication NO SYNC so when i took
it to a store to look at it they told me that the Graphic Card was
dead!!! so what a chance to change my card , so i bought 7800 GS the
best for AGP i assume. After noticing that when my PC was shuting down
, in the last second of powering off i heard each time a noise like
when a wooden door need some oil. hehe... and the problem was that when
i turned on the PC , the displat settings sometimes where changed and
sometimes where not. After 6 days of doing that the same problem NO
SYNC in my monitor. I went to the store where i bought the card and
because it was in the warranty they give me one new, telling me that
the previous was dead not even the fan was moving.
Now i have the same problem and i am concerned if my AGP slot has some
problem and burs my cards. It is any program to see if i have a problem
with my motherboard. Or sb that can tell me something??

Thank you in advance...
Roberto from Greece...

--
Roberto Panagos
Roberto Panagos's Profile: http://www.futurehardware.in/member.php?userid=767

Future Hardware - http://www.futurehardware.in

Old February 7th 07, 12:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
fondue

"Roberto Panagos" wrote in message

[...]

Hard to say. Can you tell where the noise is coming from, (make sure you
turn off the speakers first)?

Some HDDs make a click or clunk noise when parking the heads on shutdown,
but provided this noise doesn't get any louder and the sectors on the disc
check out OK, this isn't a problem.

I would look at the HDD first. Usually non moving parts don't make those
kinds of noises, (high pitched whines if anything).

Rus Scandisk, or if you are using XP run Chkdsk from the Command Prompt. If
you get a message telling you to run chkdsk /f, do that but make sure you
backup your data first. I would run Chkdsk /r, as this command will check
the entire disk, not just the file system.

Just because the fan is working on the old card it doesn't mean the graphics
card itself is working.

The motherboard could be failing, in which case you would need to buld
another PC - In any case make sure you have copies of your data.

Ideally you need another PC to swap parts and check for function.

Hope this helps.

Old February 7th 07, 03:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Roberto Panagos

Tnx fondue ,

About the noise the speakers are off , because i though about that,
as for the HDD it isn't from there. Because the noise is comming from
the card itself...!!!!

I have made tests that you told me, in read only mode.
Copies of my data i have because my data i have it in an external 500G
HDD.
Another question if i built a PC in 1 month , it's good to keep my 7800
GS and the new motherboard to have both AGP & PCI-Ex slots?

Thank you again for your information fondue!!!

Old February 8th 07, 03:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
fondue

"Roberto Panagos" wrote in message

Tnx fondue ,

About the noise the speakers are off , because i though about that,
as for the HDD it isn't from there. Because the noise is comming from
the card itself...!!!!

As I say, apart from fan related noise, I can't imagine how a graphics card
could make that sound.
Though does the GS have a fan? I thought the GS range was fanless. If
everything works though it shouldn't be a problem.

I have made tests that you told me, in read only mode.
Copies of my data i have because my data i have it in an external 500G
HDD.
Another question if i built a PC in 1 month , it's good to keep my 7800
GS and the new motherboard to have both AGP & PCI-Ex slots?

I suppose if you are happy with the AGP 7800GS, why not. Having said that
are there motherboards available with both slots?

Generally the PCIe slot for a graphics card is physically different from the
standard PCIe slot, as well as data transfer rates 1x for a standard PCIe
and up to 16x for high performance graphics cards.
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._1933_58376456.

I would run chkdsk /r, just to check the disk and make sure it has no bad
sectors. You will need to reboot. After chkdsk finishes, go into Computer
management / Event Viewer / Application, and look for the last entry named
Winlogon under the Source column.

Here you can see if there are any bad sectors etc..
If you go to your the website for your brand of hard disk drive, there is
usually diagnostic software available for download.

A program called Speedfan would help you check the temperatures of your CPU
and the voltages. It can also check the SMART status of your HDD
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php.
You could try another program called Prime95
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm which will stress your CPU/memory

It might be better to buy a cheap second hand PC, then spend some time
researching what you would like in your new PC.

Good luck!

Old March 26th 07, 12:32 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
JKBK

Power Supply??
Newer Video cards need a lot more power and a power supply close to its
specs can spike.