Computer won't start

Old December 27th 07, 09:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

Default Computer won't start

2. CMOS, as I wrote the PC locks up / stops booting before this
point. I haven't been able to get into the CMOS. Because it already
happens at this point, I am suspecting a hardware or bios issue. If
it was software, I would imagine that it would stop only at a later
point.

I've already unplugged the cards and stuck them back in, no change.
As most of the stuff is on-board, I can't do a lot with it anyway.

The other option to reset the CMOS is probably the best way to go
forward for now. And perhaps to find a spare-parts PC that I can use
to see if I can locate the root cause.

But thanks for your response anyway.

Some simple things you can try, are disconnecting I/O devices from the
machine. For example, disconnect the USB devices outside the case
first. If some I/O device has died or is malfunctioning, they may
be confusing the BIOS.

Open the machine, disconnect the data cables from the hard drive and
CDROM drive. Using a piece of paper, make notes of where the cables
go, so you can put them back exactly as you found them.

Other checklist items:

1) In this case, we know your BIOS is executing. The flashing of the
keyboard lights is a positive sign. It means the processor is
executing (so the processor does not need to be reseated), the
BIOS code was executed (so the BIOS isn't completely fried -
the main block of BIOS code has probably passed the checksum
test). I'm not sure about RAM. Maybe the RAM test would still be
an item yet to be completed by the BIOS.

2) Turn off the computer and unplug it. To work inside, you want
all power removed (not for risk of shock or anything - it is
to protect your hardware). The reason for unplugging, is to
make sure +5VSB is disabled, and that there is no power present
in the RAM slots. At least one poster with a broken computer here,
had a power supply with a broken switch, and the power supply was
on, even though the power switch was set to off. Unplugging ensures
there aren't any incidents like that.

Remove and reseat the RAM.

3) If you have multiple sticks of RAM, try the machine with only
one of the sticks plugged in. That may not be enough memory,
for an OS to boot properly, so may not represent a usable
system configuration. But the purpose of inserting only one
stick of RAM, is to see if you can get the BIOS screen to appear.
If a stick of memory goes bad, it may prevent POST. In some
cases, the computer beeps if the memory is bad. But it
is also possible the BIOS just hangs.

4) Clearing the CMOS is a good test. But you'll also have to restore
any custom settings in the BIOS. And I have to admit, on my oldest
machine, when the CMOS battery died, I was at a loss to remember
what some of the settings did. It did take me an hour or so of
experimenting, until I got the hang of it, and the machine was
able to boot with a new CMOS battery.

While power supply failures on computers are a frequent source of
problems (and not completely eliminated in your case), the fact
that the keyboard lights blinked gives me hope that the power
is good enough to allow the POST process to get further than it
currently is. For example, a computer that restarts, just as the
Windows desktop appears, could be having a power problem. But in
your case, the power consumption should be reasonably stable during
some of the BIOS tests, and the BIOS doesn't appear to be getting
past things like NVRAM or RAM test, or enumerating hard drives
and optical drives.

Paul

Thanks for all the advice, this goes for those posting after this
message as well.

Here's what I have done so far:

I took my TV-card out - No change
All external devices are unplugged (only monitor, keyboard and power are
connected) - No change
Took the CMOS battery out, left it for 10 minutes (power cable
unplugged), then restarted - No change

Then I took my video card out, although I can't see anything the
computer suddenly started bleeping (when starting it) and at least my
keyboard seems to be responding (num-lock light goes on/off when I press
num-lock).

Does that mean my video card is busted? I don't have a spare on, so I
can't really test it. The only spare one I have doesn't fit in the slots
on my mainboard.

Thanks,
twomt.

Oh, one last detail... there's a fan on the video card as well and that
one is not working.

If the fan is out...the video card could be fried...
so try a different one.

NOTE: Removing the CMOS battery for ten minutes will NOT reset it...
you need to use the jumper or else remove the battery for MANY hours..
If you cannot find the jumper take the battery out and leave it out
overnight

Old December 27th 07, 09:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
sandy58

On Dec 27, 12:04 pm, twomt wrote:
Hello,

I fear I have a hardware problem somewhere, can someone give me some
hints on how to locate the root cause?

The computer is getting power as the fan is blowing normal and the
keyboard lights (caps-lock, num-lock and scroll-lock) blink once when I
press the power button.

Then it all stops, well... the fan continue to blows but nothing else
happens. This is before the bios screens come up when you initially
start your computer.

The monitor turns itself off saying it does not receive a signal, the
keyboard is not responding to anything (normally, num-lock would show
the light on/off) and my optical mouse is not showing the red lights it
normally does.

I've let it run for a while, but the state does not change.... it's
broken :s

Any ideas what might be causing?

Thanks,
twomt

Has the PC been OK till recently? Have you done anything to make a
difference recently? What windows are you using (if any)? Do you have
any kind of boot disk? Do you get past the POST screen at all....like
to go into Bios? Can you find access to the 'net (like a buddies PC)
where you could d'load a boot disk from a site I could direct you to?
Old December 28th 07, 05:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
twomt

OK,

root cause located and resolved.
The fan on my gfx-card had given up and fried the processor.
I've just installed a new gfx-card and all works fine again.

Thanks a lot for all the help people.

Regards,
twomt
--
Nemesis War
Online browser based space combat game.
Old December 28th 07, 07:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
powersupplycables

In trouble shooting, It's always:

(1)power source
(2)cable connection

before you do any other stuff.

jennifer
http://www.powersupplycables.com
Old December 28th 07, 09:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

"Joel" wrote in message
news
twomt wrote:

OK,

root cause located and resolved.
The fan on my gfx-card had given up and fried the processor.
I've just installed a new gfx-card and all works fine again.

Thanks a lot for all the help people.

Glad to hear you get the problem solved, and THANKS for updating what
causes the problem.

Yep!
Thanks for the feedback

Old January 7th 08, 09:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Plato

twomt wrote:

I fear I have a hardware problem somewhere, can someone give me some
hints on how to locate the root cause?

First step is to disconnect everything but cpu fan, ram, video card.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/