Dye ink

Old August 5th 07, 08:21 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Headrick

Default Dye ink

"Hans Jørgen" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there anybody out there who knows if pigment ought to work in a die
printer ?

Generally no. Pigment ink requires more servicing, which is generally
controlled by firmware and is not user controllable. Dye inks and pigment
inks will likely have different viscosity and thermal properties, and will
have different color properties.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old August 5th 07, 07:57 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Hans Jørgen

Is there anybody out there who knows if pigment ought to work in a die
printer ?

I'm in all sorts of trouble. At the outset I wanted to avoid the many
cleaning cycles when I refilled my cartridges so I bought a continues
ink system and at the same time I changed to pigment ink to avoid
fading pictures. I have had to demount the continues system and return
to refilling cartridges but I have lost the yellow color.

I now use a Cannon Pixma ip5300. I destroyed my Epson Stylus Photo 950
in the process and got upset with the prises and availability of print
heads for Epson. I have also bought a One Eye for making icc profiles
to facilitate the different inks on different types of paper.

Old August 5th 07, 09:46 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Hans Jørgen

On 5 Aug., 09:21, "Bob Headrick" wrote:
"Hans Jørgen" wrote in message

oups.com...

Is there anybody out there who knows if pigment ought to work in a die
printer ?

Generally no. Pigment ink requires more servicing, which is generally
controlled by firmware and is not user controllable. Dye inks and pigment
inks will likely have different viscosity and thermal properties, and will
have different color properties.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Thank you for the answer

I don't understand why the yellow is the only color not working.
What raut should I go to continu refill inkcartridges and get lasting
color for a 100th of the price compared to the manufactures solution.
Are there dye inks out there that are color fast and availabel in
bulk ?

Old August 6th 07, 12:49 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
babaloo

It appears that you may have damaged the printhead on your Canon in your
quest to save money on ink.
If you want quality to the point where you are willing to buy a print
profiler why would you skimp on ink?
It is also not clear why you are so concerned about fading prints.
Do you think yours are going to be hanging in the Louvre for the next 200
years?
Pantone used to sell pigment inks for use in the Epson 1280: the Pantone
cartridges cost more than the Epsons and voided the warranty on the printer.
Your quest is making you penny wise and dollar foolish?

Old August 6th 07, 01:06 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Barry Watzman

You probably ruined the printer. While there are good 3rd party inks,
there are no good "generic inks". The characteristics of printers and
their ink systems are unbelievably complex, and you need an ink that
pretty much exactly matches the original specs (and there is a lot more
to this than just dye vs. pigment). Use of any other ink will normally
ruin the print system. In a printer where the printhead is part of the
cartridge, fine, you just throw it away and start over with a new
cartridge. But in a printer with permanent printheads, use of the wrong
ink usually destroys the printer.

Old August 6th 07, 01:59 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Frank

babaloo wrote:

It appears that you may have damaged the printhead on your Canon in your
quest to save money on ink.
If you want quality to the point where you are willing to buy a print
profiler why would you skimp on ink?
It is also not clear why you are so concerned about fading prints.
Do you think yours are going to be hanging in the Louvre for the next 200
years?
Pantone used to sell pigment inks for use in the Epson 1280: the Pantone
cartridges cost more than the Epsons and voided the warranty on the printer.
Your quest is making you penny wise and dollar foolish?

No after market ink will ever void any warranty on any printer in the US.
Frank
Old August 6th 07, 02:16 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Hans Jørgen

On 6 Aug., 01:49, "babaloo" wrote:
It appears that you may have damaged the printhead on your Canon in your
quest to save money on ink.
If you want quality to the point where you are willing to buy a print
profiler why would you skimp on ink?
It is also not clear why you are so concerned about fading prints.
Do you think yours are going to be hanging in the Louvre for the next 200
years?
Pantone used to sell pigment inks for use in the Epson 1280: the Pantone
cartridges cost more than the Epsons and voided the warranty on the printer.
Your quest is making you penny wise and dollar foolish?

You read me like an open book, yes pictures like mine oughtto be saved
for prosterety, could someone correct me in my errand ways and sugest
a dye ink that resist fading or maybe a reputabel compagny.

Old August 6th 07, 04:34 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Barry Watzman

That is simply not true.

Some inkjet printers have the printhead in the consumable, others have
permanent printheads, the consumable is just an "ink tank" and there are
tubes from the tank to the permanent printhead.

A manufacturer has every right to rightfully void the warranty of a
printer with permanent printheads that are genuinely destroyed by a 3rd
party ink, and they do it. On the other hand, the only permanent damage
that a consumable with a built-in printhead can do is to leak inside the
printer and create a mess, and this doesn't happen often.

Old August 6th 07, 06:29 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Burt

"Barry Watzman" wrote in message
That is simply not true.

Some inkjet printers have the printhead in the consumable, others have
permanent printheads, the consumable is just an "ink tank" and there are
tubes from the tank to the permanent printhead.

A manufacturer has every right to rightfully void the warranty of a
printer with permanent printheads that are genuinely destroyed by a 3rd
party ink, and they do it. On the other hand, the only permanent damage
that a consumable with a built-in printhead can do is to leak inside the
printer and create a mess, and this doesn't happen often.

Barry - Except for a new model with the printhead in the cartridge (is this
what you reference as the consumable?), Canon printheads are user removable
and replaceable (although sometimes at about the cost of a replacement
printer). The "ink tanks" sit directly on the printhead and feed into it.
No tubes.

I have read that in the US there are laws that prevent a printer company
from voiding a warranty because you used aftermarket inks. Has to do with a
company not forcing you to use their consumables as a condition of honoring
a warranty.

Using the wrong inks could conceivably ruin a permanant printhead. I would
expect that using pigment-based inks in an Epson (printhead not replaceable
by the consumer) that is designed for dye-based inks might permanantly clog
the nozzles and render the printer not economically repairable. Refilling
carts for a Canon dye-based printer with pigment-based inks would probably
cost you an easily replaced printhead. HP printers with the printhead on
the ink cartridge would not be harmed by the use of inks which could damage
the printhead. You would just replace the ink cartridge which comes with a
new printhead.

Old August 6th 07, 11:44 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Frank

Barry Watzman wrote:

That is simply not true.

Some inkjet printers have the printhead in the consumable, others have
permanent printheads, the consumable is just an "ink tank" and there are
tubes from the tank to the permanent printhead.

A manufacturer has every right to rightfully void the warranty of a
printer with permanent printheads that are genuinely destroyed by a 3rd
party ink, and they do it.

I'd like you to name just one documented case where the printhead was
deemed to have been destroyed by after market ink and was confirmed by
lab analysis (independent lab of course). Simply telling someone over
the phone that their printhead was destroyed by after market ink and
that their warranty was thus voided is simply a market ploy and it's
success depends on the gullibility of the consumer.
Frank