EDN article on Pentium M living room PC

Old May 13th 04, 08:40 AM
George Macdonald

Default EDN article on Pentium M living room PC

I thought this was interesting: Brian Dipert's "upgrade" from a VIA C3 to a
Pentium M based living room PC for "entertainment" use. Mbrd made by
Lippert - first I've seen of an ITX mbrd.

Rgds, George Macdonald

Old May 13th 04, 09:34 AM
The little lost angel

On Thu, 13 May 2004 03:40:13 -0400, George Macdonald
wrote:

I thought this was interesting: Brian Dipert's "upgrade" from a VIA C3 to a
Pentium M based living room PC for "entertainment" use. Mbrd made by
Lippert - first I've seen of an ITX mbrd.

What I thought more interesting was the 512MB Warestheurl graphics
card in that system. :PpPpP

If you need basic to med complexity webpages at affordable rates, email me
Old May 13th 04, 02:56 PM
Derek Baker

George Macdonald wrote:
I thought this was interesting: Brian Dipert's "upgrade" from a VIA
C3 to a Pentium M based living room PC for "entertainment" use. Mbrd
made by Lippert - first I've seen of an ITX mbrd.

Rgds, George Macdonald

"Just because they're paranoid doesn't mean you're not psychotic" -
Who, me??

Link?

--
Derek

Old May 13th 04, 05:45 PM
Robert Myers

Derek Baker wrote:
George Macdonald wrote:

I thought this was interesting: Brian Dipert's "upgrade" from a VIA
C3 to a Pentium M based living room PC for "entertainment" use. Mbrd
made by Lippert - first I've seen of an ITX mbrd.

Rgds, George Macdonald

"Just because they're paranoid doesn't mean you're not psychotic" -
Who, me??

Link?

http://www.reed-electronics.com/ednm...ndustryid=2573

I'm puzzled at George's comment denigrating the upgrade as an "upgrade".

I'm also puzzled at what the author really did in his benchmarks with
the Pentium M running at 1GHz. The article doesn't make it clear if or
how the motherboard would allow underclocking the FSB while running RAM
at normal speed.

RM

Old May 15th 04, 12:52 AM
George Macdonald

On Thu, 13 May 2004 16:45:05 GMT, Robert Myers
wrote:

Derek Baker wrote:
George Macdonald wrote:

I thought this was interesting: Brian Dipert's "upgrade" from a VIA
C3 to a Pentium M based living room PC for "entertainment" use. Mbrd
made by Lippert - first I've seen of an ITX mbrd.

Link?

http://www.reed-electronics.com/ednm...ndustryid=2573

whacks browThanks Robert - I got it he
http://www.reed-electronics.com/ednm...rid=1660722366
- apparently same article... different ads?

I'm puzzled at George's comment denigrating the upgrade as an "upgrade".

No, no - nothing derisive was meant. Brian didn't actually use the term
upgrade in the main article but it was mentioned in a sidebar - his
"swappped" reflects better that it was a fairly major form of upgrade... I
thought.

I'm also puzzled at what the author really did in his benchmarks with
the Pentium M running at 1GHz. The article doesn't make it clear if or
how the motherboard would allow underclocking the FSB while running RAM
at normal speed.

It's never been clear to me how all that works. I know that I've seen some
weird things with recent Intel-based notebooks, e.g. run with no battery
and it slows down the CPU.

Rgds, George Macdonald

Old May 15th 04, 01:06 AM
Robert Myers

George Macdonald wrote:
On Thu, 13 May 2004 16:45:05 GMT, Robert Myers
wrote:

snip

http://www.reed-electronics.com/ednm...ndustryid=2573

whacks browThanks Robert - I got it he
http://www.reed-electronics.com/ednm...rid=1660722366
- apparently same article... different ads?

Whose ads and who pays or gets credit for the click. That's
interesting. Totally off the topic of csiphc, but the internet ad
revenue bubble has quietly reinflated itself.

I'm puzzled at George's comment denigrating the upgrade as an "upgrade".

No, no - nothing derisive was meant. Brian didn't actually use the term
upgrade in the main article but it was mentioned in a sidebar - his
"swappped" reflects better that it was a fairly major form of upgrade... I
thought.

Oh, right. Motherboard+CPU=Upgrade. It is an odd use of language.

I'm also puzzled at what the author really did in his benchmarks with
the Pentium M running at 1GHz. The article doesn't make it clear if or
how the motherboard would allow underclocking the FSB while running RAM
at normal speed.

It's never been clear to me how all that works. I know that I've seen some
weird things with recent Intel-based notebooks, e.g. run with no battery
and it slows down the CPU.

The benchmarks weren't quite what I had expected, and if I didn't really
understand how they were acquired, it didn't seem worth a whole lot
trouble to try to understand them.

RM

Old May 16th 04, 12:10 PM
George Macdonald

On Sat, 15 May 2004 00:06:30 GMT, Robert Myers
wrote:

George Macdonald wrote:
On Thu, 13 May 2004 16:45:05 GMT, Robert Myers
wrote:

snip

http://www.reed-electronics.com/ednm...ndustryid=2573

whacks browThanks Robert - I got it he
http://www.reed-electronics.com/ednm...rid=1660722366
- apparently same article... different ads?

Whose ads and who pays or gets credit for the click. That's
interesting. Totally off the topic of csiphc, but the internet ad
revenue bubble has quietly reinflated itself.

I assume Reed Publishing gets the credit - the ads seem to be just targeted
to a slightly different audience. I got my URL through my subscription to
the Electroncs News daily e-mail, which includes an optional monthly EDN
newsletter, so I guess they charge for that ad based on that list.

Right about the ad revenue bubble. I'd think Macromedia must be doing
quite well just now with all the Flash crap we have to endure. Funny - I
got ADSL a little under a year ago and now I need a faster computer to cope
with things.:-)

I'm puzzled at George's comment denigrating the upgrade as an "upgrade".

No, no - nothing derisive was meant. Brian didn't actually use the term
upgrade in the main article but it was mentioned in a sidebar - his
"swappped" reflects better that it was a fairly major form of upgrade... I
thought.

Oh, right. Motherboard+CPU=Upgrade. It is an odd use of language.

Whatevershrug What intrigued me was that it corresponded with what
people have been saying here about Intel's odd reticence to market the
Pentium M as another CPU. Maybe it's just us geeks but then again it could
be an oversight by their Market Research.

Rgds, George Macdonald

Old May 16th 04, 01:00 PM
Robert Myers

George Macdonald wrote:

snip

Right about the ad revenue bubble. I'd think Macromedia must be doing
quite well just now with all the Flash crap we have to endure.

It doesn't appeal that things like Flash ads are good for business? I'm
looking at how slick they are and the fact that first line talent went
into some of them.

Funny - I
got ADSL a little under a year ago and now I need a faster computer to cope
with things.:-)

That's plainly good for the industry, no? I don't think the logic that
fuelled the internet bubble as driven by ad revenue was completely
wrong. The "everything is free, you just have to look at our ads,"
model was wrong, but the idea that the internet would have gigantic
implications for how people live and do business wasn't. It just wasn't
going to happen overnight then, and it isn't going to happen overnight now.

snip

Whatevershrug What intrigued me was that it corresponded with what
people have been saying here about Intel's odd reticence to market the
Pentium M as another CPU. Maybe it's just us geeks but then again it could
be an oversight by their Market Research.

Quite the opposite, I think. That's the point I was trying to make in
the "Intel follows the revenue" post. Intel wants to keep a brand
premium on "Centrino(tm)." Centrino = Pentium M + 855 chipset + not
much more, and you can get the same extra functionality as the "not much
more" with a PCI plugin.

Intel doesn't want people thinking "I want a Pentium M". They want
people thinking "I want a Centrino" and willing (subconsciouly or
otherwise) to pay the premium. A separate rationale is that there are
no tables comparing "Centrino" to any chip that AMD makes because
Centrino isn't a chip.

Marketing Pentium M on its own would have focused potential buyers on
things that Intel marketing shouldn't want them thinking about. Now
that Intel has muddied the waters with mind-scrambling model numbers,
they don't have to worry about giving people the seditious idea that
what they should want is Pentium M and to pay a price for it based on a
straight-up price/performance comparison with AMD.

RM