Anybody know if my burner is fried when...

Old September 6th 04, 06:49 AM
crawford findlay

Default Anybody know if my burner is fried when...

....Nero won't recognize blank media? The CDRW drive recognizes and reads
other discs (data, audio, etc.) but refuses to recognize blank CDRs. Nero
says "Waiting for CD..." when I try to burn and there's a blank disc in
there. The disc also doesn't show up in "CD Info..." in Nero.

Softwa Nero version 5.5.2.4
Burner: Yamaha CDRW8424E
OS: Win 98

I have tried...
- reinstalling Nero
- reinstalling the CDRW drive firmware
- reinstalling the Nero WinASPI driver layer
- four different brands of CDRs.

Also, don't know if this is relevant, but blank discs don't show up in the
other (DVD-ROM) drive either. But then, maybe they shouldn't anyway, since
it can't do anything with them? I don't know...

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers,
cf

Old September 6th 04, 07:30 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL )
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )
'

crawford findlay wrote:

...Nero won't recognize blank media? The CDRW drive recognizes and reads
other discs (data, audio, etc.) but refuses to recognize blank CDRs. Nero
says "Waiting for CD..." when I try to burn and there's a blank disc in
there. The disc also doesn't show up in "CD Info..." in Nero.

Softwa Nero version 5.5.2.4
Burner: Yamaha CDRW8424E
OS: Win 98

I have tried...
- reinstalling Nero
- reinstalling the CDRW drive firmware
- reinstalling the Nero WinASPI driver layer
- four different brands of CDRs.

Also, don't know if this is relevant, but blank discs don't show up in the
other (DVD-ROM) drive either. But then, maybe they shouldn't anyway, since
it can't do anything with them? I don't know...

(That's normal.)

Running any background tasks like anti-virus?
Did you power down after the firmware upgrade?
Try clean the drive?

Try uninstall Nero, run Nero Clean Tool, install aspi 4.60 with
ForceASPI, then reinstall Nero. If all these fail, the drive may have
reached its end.

Nero Clean Tool:
http://www.nero.com/us/ns4_631940828445001.html

Link to ForceASPI:
http://aspi.radified.com/
Old September 6th 04, 06:07 PM
Mike Richter

crawford findlay wrote:

...Nero won't recognize blank media? The CDRW drive recognizes and reads
other discs (data, audio, etc.) but refuses to recognize blank CDRs. Nero
says "Waiting for CD..." when I try to burn and there's a blank disc in
there. The disc also doesn't show up in "CD Info..." in Nero.

Softwa Nero version 5.5.2.4
Burner: Yamaha CDRW8424E
OS: Win 98

I have tried...
- reinstalling Nero
- reinstalling the CDRW drive firmware
- reinstalling the Nero WinASPI driver layer
- four different brands of CDRs.

Also, don't know if this is relevant, but blank discs don't show up in the
other (DVD-ROM) drive either. But then, maybe they shouldn't anyway, since
it can't do anything with them? I don't know...

CD-ROM drives cannot read the ATIP - all that's written on a "blank"
recordable. If a good blank cannot be read in a writer, then that drive
can't read the ATIP either, in which case it cannot write to the disc.

In short, it seems likely that your writer is now only a reader.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Help with DVD Burner mark Homebuilt PC's 1 June 6th 04 06:26 PM
Burner has demon inside dax Cdr 2 February 16th 04 04:54 AM
BackUp MyPC: How to Slow Down the CD Burner? JamesDad Cdr 5 October 29th 03 04:10 AM
Help!! My Burner Can't Read Any Disks (Blank or Recorded) , Is it Dying On Me. Neemo Cdr 0 July 30th 03 05:57 AM
Help!! My Burner Can't Read Any Disks (Blank or Recorded) , Is it Dying On Me. Neemo Cdr 1 July 29th 03 03:52 PM