P4P800 Deluxe in Chieftec Dragon case?

Old July 18th 03, 08:28 PM
yellowmoon

Default P4P800 Deluxe in Chieftec Dragon case?

I am building a pc around the Asus P4P800 Deluxe, and planning on
using a Chieftec Dragon DA-01W full tower case.

Wondering if there are any particular features or issues around the
board to be aware of when used in conjunction with this case.

The full proposed spec - any comments or suggestions welcome - is:

Processor Intel P4 Northwood 2.66GHz Socket 478 800MHz FSB
Motherboard Asus P4P800 Deluxe
Graphics Card Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128Mb
Monitor Samsung SyncMaster 171S 17" Flat Panel TFT Black
OS Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition OEM
Case Chieftec Dragon DA-01W Full Tower
PSU Enermax Active 431Watt ATX PSU EG465AX-VE
Memory 2x Crucial 512MB DDR PC3200
Hard Disc Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120GB SATA
CD-RW Lite-On LTR-52246S 52x24x52x/IDE/Internal
CD/DVD Lite-On LTD-165-R DVD16x/CD48x/IDE/Internal
Keyboard Microsoft Office Keyboard
Mouse Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical v3 OEM
Modem Dabsvalue 56k PCI Cont'less Intel Chipset Modem+Voice
Floppy Drive Panasonic 3.5" Floppy Drive
Fans 3 Pack Papst 8412 NG 80mm Fan (4 pin)

Old July 18th 03, 10:30 PM
Dan Spears

Great case. I have a black one with an Asus P4C800 Deluxe. Everything in
your list should fit perfectly. I switched out the fans with five Antec 80
mm. Best case I have ever owned. My last one was an Antec but the Cheftec is
much better.
My rig:

Intel P4 3.0C GHz (FSB 800 MHz)

Asus P4C800 Deluxe (Bio's 1008.004 Final)

Corsair 1 GB XMS PC-3500C2 Platinum 2/512 MB @ 2-3-3-6 8 @2.75

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB (Cat 3.5)

Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Gamer

2 Western Digital 120 GB (8 MB Cache)

Antec True Power 550 Watts

CD Burner.. Lite-On 52x24x52x LTR-52246 Black

DVD Burner.. Pioneer 106 Black (DVD-R DVD+R)

Swiftech MCX-4000B Heatsink with Thermaltake Smart Fan II

Chieftec Black Dragon Tower with side Window and 5 Antec 80 mm fans

CablesRound Vantec 133 Black

Windows XP Pro

Old July 18th 03, 10:52 PM
Ken Kauffman

"Dan Spears" wrote in message
| Great case. I have a black one with an Asus P4C800 Deluxe. Everything in
| your list should fit perfectly. I switched out the fans with five Antec 80
| mm. Best case I have ever owned. My last one was an Antec but the Cheftec
is
| much better.
| My rig:
|
| Intel P4 3.0C GHz (FSB 800 MHz)
|
| Asus P4C800 Deluxe (Bio's 1008.004 Final)
|
| Corsair 1 GB XMS PC-3500C2 Platinum 2/512 MB @ 2-3-3-6 8 @2.75
|
| ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB (Cat 3.5)
|
| Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Gamer
|
| 2 Western Digital 120 GB (8 MB Cache)
|
| Antec True Power 550 Watts
|
| CD Burner.. Lite-On 52x24x52x LTR-52246 Black
|
| DVD Burner.. Pioneer 106 Black (DVD-R DVD+R)
|
| Swiftech MCX-4000B Heatsink with Thermaltake Smart Fan II
|
| Chieftec Black Dragon Tower with side Window and 5 Antec 80 mm fans
|
| CablesRound Vantec 133 Black
|
| Windows XP Pro
|

| "yellowmoon" wrote in message
| I am building a pc around the Asus P4P800 Deluxe, and planning on
| using a Chieftec Dragon DA-01W full tower case.
|
| Wondering if there are any particular features or issues around the
| board to be aware of when used in conjunction with this case.
|
| The full proposed spec - any comments or suggestions welcome - is:
|
| Processor Intel P4 Northwood 2.66GHz Socket 478 800MHz FSB
| Motherboard Asus P4P800 Deluxe
| Graphics Card Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128Mb
| Monitor Samsung SyncMaster 171S 17" Flat Panel TFT Black
| OS Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition OEM
| Case Chieftec Dragon DA-01W Full Tower
| PSU Enermax Active 431Watt ATX PSU EG465AX-VE
| Memory 2x Crucial 512MB DDR PC3200
| Hard Disc Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120GB SATA
| CD-RW Lite-On LTR-52246S 52x24x52x/IDE/Internal
| CD/DVD Lite-On LTD-165-R DVD16x/CD48x/IDE/Internal
| Keyboard Microsoft Office Keyboard
| Mouse Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical v3 OEM
| Modem Dabsvalue 56k PCI Cont'less Intel Chipset Modem+Voice
| Floppy Drive Panasonic 3.5" Floppy Drive
| Fans 3 Pack Papst 8412 NG 80mm Fan (4 pin)

how is Antec "much better"? they appear to be of the same manufacturing
plant. my Antec case is almost identical to this model. or rather, were
you making a comparison to your "older" Antec case to the current model?

http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details...p?ProdID=81046

In either regard, both cases are great.

ken k

Old July 19th 03, 12:06 AM
bigbrian

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 20:28:46 +0100, yellowmoon
wrote:

[...]

One recommendation would be to save some money on the fans. I looked
at Pabst fans, and they weren't worth the money. I don't know if
you're in the UK or not (if not you may have alternate suppliers) but
the Pabst fans shift 34 cfm at noise levels of 26 db(a). Over here,
they run about £15.25 each

YTech Lo-noise fans do 27 cfm at noise levels of 20 db(a). Much, much
quieter and you won't notice the difference in cfm when you have a
couple of them. They're £5.17 from the same supplier. Spend the saving
on better RAM or a quieter PSU

Compare them at www.tekheads.co.uk

Brian
Old July 19th 03, 10:01 AM
yellowmoon

Thanks for the really helpful responses.

Swiftech MCX-4000B Heatsink with Thermaltake Smart Fan II

Dan - nice looking system, I notice you've got a separate heatsink
and fan. My intention was to go with the retail P4 and use the Intel
heatsink and fan included.

Compare them at www.tekheads.co.uk

Brian

Brian - yes, I am in the U.K. and will take your advice to use the
YSTech fans. Big question - how many do people think I will need?

And did you have anything particular in mind when you suggest get
better RAM/quieter PSU?

Compare them at www.tekheads.co.uk

Brian

Brian - yes, I am in the U.K. and will take your advice to use the
YSTech fans. Big question - how many do people think I will need?

Probably fewer than you think, but it depends on the case and the CPU
cooler that you're using. I have a 2.4c in the P4P800 mobo (non
deluxe), with a Zalman 7000 CPU cooler. Apart from that, I only have
two YSTech fans, one on a side intake blowing air on the CPU heatsink
and the other at the back sucking out the heat. With the CPU cooler
fanmate running in silent mode at 1350rpm, and a Zalman 400W PSU, its
close to silent, and runs about 34c idle. In the recent very hot
weather its gone to 40c when in normal use, and 52c when doing stuff
like MPEG encoding of DVD - I don't expect it will ever need to be
hotter than that. Buy a couple and see what happens. If you need more,
you can add them later.

One thing to bear in mind, which I didn't mention earlier, is that the
YS Tech fans are 3 pin and will need to connect to the mobo, whereas
the Pabst fans are 4 pin and would have run direct from the power
supply.

And did you have anything particular in mind when you suggest get
better RAM/quieter PSU?

Take your pick. £40 saved on fans buys you something worth having. The
Zalman PSU isn't cheap (mine was just over £100). I also have mine
running Corsair RAM, which I managed to get just before the recent
price rises. 1GB was about £150. Its absolutely rock solid, but your
choice may also be...I haven't tried it.

Brian

Old July 20th 03, 04:53 PM
yellowmoon

O.K., thanks for you help.

Old July 25th 03, 05:57 PM
JVC

i'm from the Netherlands , and i have sinds a few day's a Chieftec
Dragon (bigtower-black).
i must say the case is awsome lot's of room even when your having
plans to build in a watercooling system , it all fit's in the case
easy!!!

Another thing is that you can buy allot of cool stuff for this case ,
like side panals with windows in it and noise reduse things ,etc...

Chieftec is a good case and why you ask ? well look @ allot of brand
cases like thermaltake (www.thermaltake.com) that coppyed the case
looks and engenering.

Greetz from the netherlands
Old July 26th 03, 02:59 AM
R Sparks

Swiftech also uses a Chieftec server case to make their QPower water cooled
system. Having had one for about a month now, all I can say is
AWESOME!!! I live in the desert and it gets extremely hot here. I have yet
to see a full load temp on the processor of more than 44c, and that's with
an ambient temp of 28c. The case temp never goes over 33c and the way
everything is designed, you have good air flow throughout the case. Chieftec
is very much a quality case. I have also used Antec and InWin. Still
prefer the Chieftec setup. The system from Swiftec may be a tad expensive
(US$350), but, living where I do, it has been worth every penny. Bought
from Sidewinder Computers.
RS
JVC wrote in message
om...
i'm from the Netherlands , and i have sinds a few day's a Chieftec
Dragon (bigtower-black).
i must say the case is awsome lot's of room even when your having
plans to build in a watercooling system , it all fit's in the case
easy!!!

Another thing is that you can buy allot of cool stuff for this case ,
like side panals with windows in it and noise reduse things ,etc...

Chieftec is a good case and why you ask ? well look @ allot of brand
cases like thermaltake (www.thermaltake.com) that coppyed the case
looks and engenering.

Greetz from the netherlands

Is ZALMAN CNPS7000A-AlCu compatible with the ASUS P4P800 Deluxe motherboard? [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 4 April 9th 04 10:19 PM
What is the best overclocking RAM for the ASUS P4P800 Deluxe? [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 2 April 9th 04 02:17 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
PC3700 memory with Asus P4P800 Deluxe Leo Chen Homebuilt PC's 0 July 19th 03 12:11 AM
P4P800 and Antec case LED/switches connectors: Manny Asus Motherboards 0 June 23rd 03 07:02 AM