A7V133 and Raid 0

Old July 2nd 03, 09:32 PM

Default A7V133 and Raid 0

I have had a problem with one of my two almost identical A7V133 Raid 0
machines running Win2K SP3 . The first machine has had no problems
and is jumpered as follows for Raid 0:

JP13 : 3 to 2
JP14: 3 to 2

The other machine has also has been running well for over a year on
Raid 0. Its jumper settings (which I know are wrong according to the
book) are as follows:

JP13: 2 to 1
JP14: 3 to 2

Now believe me, I don't know how this works but it was working and the
rest of the story will tell why I know it is in Raid 0 with those
jumper settings.

Recently there was a problem concurrent with installing SP4 via
Windows Update on the web. The oddly jumpered machine had a BSOD
Stop on the reboot after doing the SP4 installation. I could not get
it to reboot properly. Naturally I was worried about data recovery
from the machine. I thought I could repair the machine but no go.

I finally ended up doing a Win2K install on a small IDE drive and then
trying to look a the data on the Raid 0 drives.. This did not
initially work, but did finally work when I moved the jumpers so that
all jumpers were between pins 2 and 3, like the book shows for Raid 0.

Since I was able to read the drives (as data drives), I knew that the
stuff written previously with the old jumper settings was going in as
raid 0 because it was reading back properly as raid 0. I was able to
make CDROM backups of my data. So no data loss--all in all a good
experience.

Buoyed with confidence, I reconfigured the machine to boot of the raid
0 drives with the proper settings, and Window gave me a BSOD stating
that the boot drive could not be found. I tried repairing the raid 0
drives with the proper settings again, and no go. Then I restored the
original -- and incorrect-- jumper settings, restored the drive,.
This allowed me to "repair" files and finally boot from the raid 0
array.

What the hell is going on here?