Norton Ghost - Clone Won't Work

Old October 16th 04, 06:39 AM
David Maynard

jimbo wrote:

Ed Coolidge wrote:

jimbo wrote:

Still no go. I cloned again using the external USB2.0 case with the
new drive mounted. No error messages from Ghost, but when I try to
boot to WinXP using the newly cloned drive, it gives a message saying
the drive needs to be checked and it goes through three chkdsk
checks, all of which pass, then it reboots and the same thing happens
again.

And when I boot from the WinXP CD, it asks which Windows to use and
has "D:\" as the only option. "Repair" takes me to the "D:\" prompt
which doesn't provide much. "Install" doesn't give a repair option,
only a new installation and if I start that option, it gives a
warning message about another OS being there and that it is a bad
idea to install two OSs on the same partition.

It appears that Ghost is not performing a proper clone.

Here is the boot.ini file from "C" root.

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP" /fastdetect
C:\="Windows 98"

And the attempt to use the second IDE as described in another post,
fails to boot.

jimbo

So far it looks like you did everything right, which would lead me to
suspect that there might be something wrong with the new drive, or the
BIOS has the disk configured incorrectly. It's been awhile, but does
Ghost have an option to verify the contents of the cloned drive? If
it does I would use it to see if it checks out. If you have Partition
Magic, you can use it to check the new drive. It should be able to
detect any partition or BIOS configuration errors.

Well, I did a WinXP installation on the new drive with no problems. But
interesting, when I checked everything out with Partition Magic, it
reports "Bad Disk" for the old "D" drive! Even though it works perfectly
with my system, now and in the past. It shows up in Device Manager as
working, etc. No errors of any kind, boots the WinXP installation, etc,
etc. But for some reason Partition Magic thinks there is something wrong
with it and does not even show any partitions on it.

Suggestions?

jimbo

Well, Partition Magic not liking the partition is disturbing. But, for now,

I see above you say you put the drive in a USB enclosure and cloned it. I'm
not concerned with that particular clone attempt but want to know if you've
had the new drive in the machine, regardless of the interface, with your
existing XP system running. And if you HAVE then it's been 'installed' by
XP, given a unique GUID, and assigned a drive letter; which will be
faithfully copied to the new drive when you do a clone so it will not be a
'new' drive when booting from that clone but will be whatever letter it was
assigned, so it won't be assigned the missing 'system drive' letter.

First, I'd like for you to boot the 'old' setup and record which letter the
two old drives are assigned. You are assuming the win98 boot drive is c? So
XP is installed on D and SAYS itself that D is it's system drive? I.E. the
XP windows directory is on D:\Windows?

Anyway, on the chances that a 'virgin' drive will get detected in the same
order, you need to get the new drive back to 'virgin' status. And the
easiest way to do that is put the new drive as master on the primary IDE
port, boot a win98 rescue disk, and fdisk /mbr it.

Writing a win98 boot record will wipe out the GUID.

Then, do not boot XP with that new drive installed. Do the clone with a
Ghost FLOPPY.

Then remove your old XP drive, place the new one in as slave with the win98
master, and see if it boots up right (while crossing fingers that it
detects the drives in the original order).

Old October 16th 04, 07:30 AM
spodosaurus

Al Smith wrote:
I have physical hard drive "C" with Win98 and physical hard drive "D"
with WinXP in a dual boot setup. I want to injstall a new, larger
physical hard drive "D". I have tried to follow the procedure for
cloning a drive using Norton Ghost. I disconnected the cables from "C"
and connected the new hard drive. (I set the new drive's jumper to
"master" the same as the "C" drive.) Then Norton Ghost was booted from
floppies and I cloned drive 2 to drive 1. This all seemed to OK. Then
I disconnected the new drive and changed the jumper to "slave". Then I
reconnected the "C" drive. Then I disconnected the "D" drive and
connected the new drive in it's place. Now when I boot to WinXP it
fails just after the WinXP splash screen. A blue screen with an error
message appears and the system reboots.

Any insight will be appreciated.

jimbo

Wow, confusing time trying to understand your procedure. You want to
clone your Windows XP drive, which is your D drive (not the boot drive)
to your new drive, which you want to install as C, right? So you can
boot up Windows XP, right?

No, he wants the new larger drive to be D drive with XP on it. Why he's
removing C: drive to do this, I don't know. I would have tried:

1. Leave both drives as they are.
2. Connect the new drive, disconnecting any cdroms as necessary.
3. Ghost D: to the new drive.
4. Swap the new drive with the old D: drive.
5. try booting from there.

Well, if you D drive is not your boot drive, Windows XP on it won't be
set up to boot as C, will it?

No, he still wants win98 to be the c drive. That's why he resintalled
the c drive.

It will be booting from the boot loader in
the boot partition on your C drive, with Windows 98. Unless I'm even
more confused than I think. ??? So when you clone the original D drive
(W XP) to your new, empty C drive, no wonder it won't boot.

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old October 16th 04, 07:35 AM
spodosaurus

jimbo wrote:
S.B. wrote:

Try leaving C on IDE1 and putting D on IDE 2 as master. Disconnect all
your ATAPI devices. If this arrangement boots correctly to '98 and
XP, connect the new drive to IDE2 as slave and clone D to it.
Disconnect the old drive and set up everything as you had it before.

I don't understand. If I read correctly, I leave "C" as is at the end of
the ribbon cable, and change the jumper on "D" to be master,

NO! Leave both hard drives as they are. Then physically install the new
hard drive. S.B. is assuming that you have 2 cdroms or some such in that
computer, which is why he's telling you to disconnect those so you can
have all three hard disks installed at the same time. Then clone D: to
the new drive.

but leave
it on the middle cable connector.

NO! Leave the hard drives that are already in there ALONE!

If that works, put the new drive on
the middle ribbon cable connector? But that is where "D" is, no?

Aren't you trying to clone D: and then replace it with the cloned
copy???????????????? After you clone it, replace it.

I must be missing something?

jimbo

Old October 16th 04, 07:37 AM
spodosaurus

jimbo wrote:
Ed Coolidge wrote:

jimbo wrote:

[...]

Why are you playing around with a partitioning program? After you ghost
something properly, there's no need to play with partitioning programs:
all the data including the partition table is cloned.

Old October 16th 04, 07:49 AM
David Maynard

spodosaurus wrote:

Al Smith wrote:

[...]

For the same reason you say "disconnecting any cdroms as necessary." It was
just the place he picked to temporarily put the new drive that also leaves
the old 'D' in the system to clone from.

Doesn't matter if you unplug a CD or hard drive to do it, just as long as D
is still there to clone from.

Old October 16th 04, 02:11 PM
Ed Coolidge

spodosaurus wrote:

jimbo wrote:

Ed Coolidge wrote:

[...]

If you read the post he replied to you would already know. Its not to change
the partitions, but to verify that they're correct as configuration errors or
disk errors can mess up a clone.
Old October 16th 04, 02:42 PM
jimbo

jaster wrote:
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:55:05 -0700, jimbo wrote:

I have physical hard drive "C" with Win98 and physical hard drive "D" with
WinXP in a dual boot setup. I want to injstall a new, larger physical hard
drive "D". I have tried to follow the procedure for cloning a drive using
Norton Ghost. I disconnected the cables from "C" and connected the new
hard drive. (I set the new drive's jumper to "master" the same as the "C"
drive.) Then Norton Ghost was booted from floppies and I cloned drive 2 to
drive 1. This all seemed to OK. Then I disconnected the new drive and
changed the jumper to "slave". Then I reconnected the "C" drive. Then I
disconnected the "D" drive and connected the new drive in it's place. Now
when I boot to WinXP it fails just after the WinXP splash screen. A blue
screen with an error message appears and the system reboots.

Any insight will be appreciated.

jimbo

I think XP looks for boot image on the C drive and that is looking for
the old D drive not the new drive. With the new D drive installed try
booting from your WinXP CD go into repair XP and run fixboot. If that
doesn't fix the problem then you'll need to boot the XP CD go into install
mode and then repair the installed XP.

When I clone a drive I use the drive vendor's utility to make a
clone of the drive.

Did that. Fixboot does not fix the proglem. And Install does not give
an option to repair, only to do a new install. So, for some reason,
the Ghost clone is not being recognized as a WinXP installation,
although it is being recognized as a Windows installation of some kind.

jimbo
Old October 16th 04, 02:48 PM
jimbo

David Maynard wrote:

jimbo wrote:

Ed Coolidge wrote:

jimbo wrote:

[...]

Yes, Win98 is on "C" and WinXP is on "D". And "C" partition is on the
HD jumpered as master and is at the end of the ribbon cable and "D"
partition is on the HD jumpered as slave and is on the middle of the
ribbon cable.

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions. I will be away for a day,
so I will reply again when I get back and have a chance to do some
more work on this problem.

jimbo