video card for HDMI to TV use

Old January 25th 10, 12:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
pheasant16

Default video card for HDMI to TV use

I'm throwing in the towel with PlayOn trying to get Hulu to work without
issue. (Athlon dual core 1.6Ghz 2Gb ram laptop as dedicated server)no
other apps running.

Didn't want to build a new box, but figure since I can play Hulu on my
old P4 2Ghz with a single gig of rambus ram without freezeup that
hardware and a long cable will probably let me watch Dragnet without
stopping after a commerical.

Last box I built was an old Athlon XP Barton core, so I waaay out of
date on current components.

Have a pretty good handle on what I need for cpu, ram, hd, but video
cards leave me clueless.

What I'd like is something in the 100 dollar range (if possible) that
will play on the high def tv without causing choppiness or buffering
problems. Will have a quad core cpu, with XP or 7, and 4Gb ram, and a
cat5 cable hooked to router for internet.

Help!!!

Thanks

Mark
--

"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are
evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
Old January 25th 10, 03:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jan Alter

"pheasant16" wrote in message
[...]

I put together a htpc back in October using a GIGABYTE GV-N84S-512I GeForce
8400 GS 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile card
for about $35 from newegg.

It works with an Intel E5200 cpu, 2 Gb of RAM, on a micro ATX mb (GIGABYTE
GA-G31M-ES2L ) and I'm running the HDMI connection to the flatscreen with a
Cat 5 connection from the router (cable goes from the livingroom underneath
the basement and back to the router in the diningroom for 50'). Works
beautifully using XP. If you're using yours for something similar then maybe
you can save yourself some money and still get quality satisfaction. It's
already nostaligic when you mention 'Barton core', because I'm still using
an Athlon XP2500 barton core in the diningroom.

--
Jan Alter

Old January 25th 10, 11:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Jan 25, 7:40 am, pheasant16 wrote:
[...]

Wouldn't want to go back to a Barton, though getting along fine with
its successor, an Athlon64 socket 756. All but for mp4 and some
higher quality encodes, no problems;- I also run the last of socked
Intels w/ a Duron 2G and everything's fine there, too. Haven't
bothered w/ HD output or matching connects, both large panels
including my 39" for video entertainment run native 1368x768
resolution, and that's through old SVGA pin-plugs. Not really into
games or the blueray scheme of things for as long as I can avoid it.
Everything's AGP ATI, and they've proven to be more than hoped for as
workhorses over the years.