Help usb win98

Old December 21st 08, 03:25 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
ReconRyan

Default Help usb win98

I have an older Gateway running win98 and wanted eventually to get a
usb drive to save files for a new computer. I have installed a 4 port
usb hub but nothing I plug into it works. It seems like the computer
does not recognise it. What can I do to get it operational ?
Old December 21st 08, 05:56 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
CJT

ReconRyan wrote:
I have an older Gateway running win98 and wanted eventually to get a
usb drive to save files for a new computer. I have installed a 4 port
usb hub but nothing I plug into it works. It seems like the computer
does not recognise it. What can I do to get it operational ?

Win98 or Win98SE?

Were the USB connections present as it came from Gateway, or are they
an add-on?

Old December 21st 08, 08:15 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
ReconRyan

98
addon

Old December 22nd 08, 12:00 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
CJT

ReconRyan wrote:

98
addon

I think you've got a real problem unless you can get drivers from the
board manufacturer.

Old December 22nd 08, 12:52 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Harry331

ReconRyan wrote...

I have an older Gateway running win98 and wanted eventually to get a
usb drive to save files for a new computer. I have installed a 4 port
usb hub but nothing I plug into it works. It seems like the computer
does not recognise it. What can I do to get it operational ?

Try d/l USB drivers for Win98.

http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php

Old December 22nd 08, 06:36 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
ReconRyan

Thanks for the info.
After reading this I did find the drivers on the manufacturers
(Startech) website as well. I will try those first. Wish me luck.

Old December 22nd 08, 11:11 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Franc Zabkar

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 06:25:09 -0800 (PST), ReconRyan
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I have an older Gateway running win98 and wanted eventually to get a
usb drive to save files for a new computer. I have installed a 4 port
usb hub but nothing I plug into it works. It seems like the computer
does not recognise it. What can I do to get it operational ?

Plug it in, and then interrogate it using Usbview or UVCView:

http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB_IDs/usbview.exe
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB...VCView.x86.exe

The Vendor and Product IDs will identify the manufacturer of the
device or its chipset.

If your device isn't detected, then loading drivers won't help.

- Franc Zabkar
Old December 28th 08, 03:04 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
ReconRyan

I uninstalled the usb card, installed the driver & rebooted. The pc
found the hardware and the software...
But it still wont work. The device manager says it must be configured
in BIOS. Anyone have steps & or tips for that ???

Win98 doesn't see all of HD me Homebuilt PC's 6 June 12th 05 11:20 PM
USB/win98 help again. Mark Dunn Gateway Computers 14 January 15th 05 01:27 PM
OT - Win98 Brian Cdr 6 February 29th 04 09:10 PM
52.16 and Win98 BF Nvidia Videocards 8 November 12th 03 08:32 AM