System Updates - I need your opinions...

Old February 19th 04, 06:18 AM
Bruce Tyler

Default System Updates - I need your opinions...

I am about to update my PC - well at least a few components.. I want
to know which is the better way to go. It will NOT be a total update
but while I have the chance, I wish to splash out just a little...

Presently I have...
Asus A7M266 M/Bd
XP2000+ CPU
512 mb PC2100
Leadtech 280 Ti4200 128mb
etc, etc...

Those are the main parts I have and wish to update... I want to know
which is the better choice..
Option 1)..
Asus A7NAX (maybe a Deluxe) M/Bd
XP2800 CPU
512mb PC3200

OR...
Option 2)..
Asus A7NAX (as above) M/Bd
XP3000 CPU
(leaving the PC2100 as is)

I am into audio editing,, large file compressing,, games...

Now remember, I can't really afford to splash out big time so I want
to get a better bang per buck especially where games are concerned and
both of the options above will cost within a few bucks of each other.
I can't quite make up my mind...

Thanks for any thoughts/replies...
Old February 19th 04, 06:29 AM
Bruce Tyler

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:18:02 +1300, Bruce Tyler wrote:

[...]

Oh...
What I forgot to ask was...

Will a PC run successfully on just ONE stick of 512mb of RAM or should
it be two..??? This would mean that if I was to get 512mb of PC3200,
it would have to be 2 x 256mb which I would rather not do as I thought
about going up to 1Gb RAM in the future some time and it would be
better to have 2x 512mb...
Old February 19th 04, 09:45 AM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:18:02 +1300, Bruce Tyler wrote:

I am about to update my PC - well at least a few components.. I want
to know which is the better way to go. It will NOT be a total update
but while I have the chance, I wish to splash out just a little...

Presently I have...
Asus A7M266 M/Bd
XP2000+ CPU
512 mb PC2100
Leadtech 280 Ti4200 128mb
etc, etc...

Those are the main parts I have and wish to update... I want to know
which is the better choice..
Option 1)..
Asus A7NAX (maybe a Deluxe) M/Bd
XP2800 CPU

2500+ clocked to 11x200 (3200+)

512mb PC3200

512mb Pc4000

OR...
Option 2)..
Asus A7NAX (as above) M/Bd
XP3000 CPU
(leaving the PC2100 as is)

Forget this.

Old February 19th 04, 09:59 AM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 01:57:15 -0800, raj wrote:

i woudl keep the 2000+ and oc it to 3200+ so you save more money and you can

I've got a 2000+. Could you please tell me how I can clock it to get 3200+
performance from it. What speed would the cpu have to run to get this?
BTW, it's a Palomino core.:-)
I think you assumed he had a Tbred B core. Even at that, he'd have to
clock it to about 2400MHz to equal a 3200+. The Palomino core won't go
much over 1800Mhz, and the Tbred B core not much over 1900MHz. For shy of
a 3200+.

upgrade with a A64 bit system

Now this makes sense. Probably wouldn't be much more than he proposed.

Old February 19th 04, 10:01 AM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:29:17 +1300, Bruce Tyler wrote:

Will a PC run successfully on just ONE stick of 512mb of RAM or should

If it won't I'm in trouble. I've been running with 1 512mb PC3700 stick
for some time now.

Old February 19th 04, 10:57 AM
raj

i woudl keep the 2000+ and oc it to 3200+ so you save more money and you can
get the A7N8X DELX. and 2 stick of atleast 256 ddr 400 match pair to run
dual channel, a good heast sink and fan to, you can keep video card beacuse
the new line of DX9 cards will be out shortly and the 9X00 adn the FX series
of cards will zoom down in prices in about 3 months, or jsut wait and hold
on to yur system, save some money and upgrade with a A64 bit system

Old February 19th 04, 12:22 PM
Tin-Char D'un

"raj" wrote in message

snip

2 stick of atleast 256 ddr 400 match pair to run
dual channel

snip

Eh, since when did you need a matched pair to run dual channel?

Dave.

Old February 19th 04, 08:40 PM
Ben Pope

Bruce Tyler wrote:
[...]

Then memory bandwidth will be an issue for you.

I suggest Option3)
A7N8X Deluxe
2500+ at 200MHz*11
512MB of PC3200

Put the change towards better RAM, I recommend Corsair XMS3200C2 (or LL if
you can afford it).

The reason for the 2500+ over the 2800+ is that the multipliers are locked,
so the 2500+ will be able to reach 200MHz FSB easier than the 2800+.

Or... waiting till you can get an Athlon64.

Ben

Old February 19th 04, 10:52 PM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:59:10 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 01:57:15 -0800, raj wrote:

i woudl keep the 2000+ and oc it to 3200+ so you save more money and you can

I've got a 2000+. Could you please tell me how I can clock it to get 3200+
performance from it. What speed would the cpu have to run to get this?
BTW, it's a Palomino core.:-)
I think you assumed he had a Tbred B core. Even at that, he'd have to
clock it to about 2400MHz to equal a 3200+. The Palomino core won't go
much over 1800Mhz, and the Tbred B core not much over 1900MHz. For shy of
a 3200+.

That should have read Tbred A core not much over 1900MHz, sorry. And of
course "For" should have been Far.

Old February 19th 04, 11:31 PM
~misfit~

Ben Pope wrote:
Bruce Tyler wrote:
[...]

I essentially agree with Ben, keep your current CPU, get an nForce2 Ultra
400 mobo and PC3200 RAM (or better), then run it on a 200MHz FSB (for
XP3200+ speed) with maybe a slight vcore increase. The 2500+ is the best of
the bunch you mentioned and you already have it. One stick of 512MB will be
fine for now, I've tried nForce 2 boards with both 1 x 512 and 2 x 256 in
dual channel and the difference is negligable.

Also stick with the A280 for now, I have one, they are a great card and to
get better peformance you need to spend big bucks. Wait a while, in several
months the whole vid card market is gonna change.

I like the Soltek range of nForce 2 boards, rock-solid with great O/C
options. I now use them exclusively.
--
~misfit~