Evo N610c not boot up - battery LED blinking 8 times

Old January 14th 06, 06:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Default Evo N610c not boot up - battery LED blinking 8 times

Hi,

My laptop does not boot up at all. Power cord and main battery seems
to work. I tried to find out the description of the problem in
Service Manual but not found anything.

1) When the AC power cord is plugged in (even if the main battery is
not installed) the battery LED (orange light) is quickly blinking 8
times then stops for app. 2 seconds again 8 times, stops for 2 sec.
and so on. LED blinks even power button is not pressed. No other LEDs
blink. BIOS does not load at all.

2) The same situation repeats with main AC adapter only and no battery
but only when the power button is pressed.

I tried standard Fn+F11 trick. No results. I tried rthe trick with
emoving RTC battery for 72h. But it did not help.

Have you got the same problem ? How do you resolve it ?

Does it mean that mainboard is down ?

Old April 3rd 06, 09:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

I replaced DC-DC board but it does not help.

The only change is that the LED blinks 8 times only when I press power
button. Not itself.

Old April 25th 06, 01:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

I have the exact same problem with my evo n610c. I have replaced the
VCB, but that did not help. I did a google search and found a possible
solution lies in the poor soldering job of the DC jack on the system
board. Poster #12 in the first link indicates that they had this
problem with their n610c.

Since the laptop has been useless for months now, I am going to take a
risk and try to fix it myself. These links links have some good
discussion about the problem even though they are about Toshiba.

http://www.laptoprepairguy.com/lapto...00-shuts-down/

http://www.laptoprepairguy.com/lapto...-jack-problem/

http://www.ef-honda.com/ben/m35xfix.php

I know you have posted at dozens of sites looking for the answer. I
hope this helps you out!