SR1520NX resolution limited to 1024x768!

Old August 7th 05, 08:13 PM
peter

Default SR1520NX resolution limited to 1024x768!

I bought a compaq SR1520NX computer from compUSA.
For some reason, the maximum video resolution is set to 1024x768, even if I
choose a monitor type that clearly supports up to 1600x1200.

If I uninstall the SiS video utilities, then I can set the resolution to
higher (1280x1024, 1600x1200, etc). But without the SiS utilities, some
features are lost. E.g. gamma cannot be changed.

If I then download the latest SiS graphics utilities from HP (for the compaq
sr1520nx), then after installing those utilities, setting resolution to
1280x1024 results in the resolution staying at 1024x768, but the desktop
becomes a virtual desktop with the size of 1280x1024 -- scrollable by moving
the mouse. I don't want a scrollable desktop. I just want the resolution to
change.

The motherboard is K8S-LA, I think made by Asus. Chipsets are made by SiS. I
have also tried the drivers from SiS with the same problem as the HP
drivers.

Any ideas? Or, is there a better forum else where to post this question?

Old August 9th 05, 12:17 AM
Earl F. Parrish

"peter" wrote in message
[...]

You may have to switch to a lower color depth to get the desired
screen size. The screen size supported is a function of the memory
in the video card along with the color depth. The more bits per
pixel, the more memory is needed at a given screen size.

--
Earl F. Parrish

Old October 9th 05, 11:37 AM
n00ch

wow, you've had this problem for some time. as i posted on another
forum, answering presumably u:

Peter-I have the same comp except HP model. Nuke that crap OEM
installation of Windows home and all its bloatware with a fresh
install. Temporarily use whatever vid drivers winxp decides to use,
and go to the SiS site for vid drivers for that chipset (760/964).
It's been awhile since I did it, but I know it's there-just look
around. The options are WAY better once u do, and u have a few
utilities. I highly doubt it's your monitor. If you get it right,
your display properties should say this:
651_661FX_741_760_760GX_M661FX_M661MX_M741_M

AND:

quick SiS page search led me to this:

http://www.sis.com/download/agreement.php?id=155810

download, un-rar it, and follow the setup.exe within. choose YES to
uninstall current driver. if u have any rollback software, might
wanna do that beforehand to save yourself a headache. pretty sure
it's the one i have.

GL.

Old October 9th 05, 04:34 PM
dannysdailys

[...]