video garbage, system continually reboots

Old January 26th 07, 05:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bosconian

Default video garbage, system continually reboots

I have a 4-year home-built PC running Windows XP SP2 which contains the
following:

P4 2.8MHz
Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 motherboard
LeadTek 6800 GT 256MB AGP graphics card
1 GB Corsair memory

The machine has operated flawlessly until this morning when video garbage
started to appear on the screen. It will now only reach the desktop (with
video garbage shown on the startup screens) and then immediately proceeds to
reboot.

I examined the inside and noticed the chipset fan was not spinning. I'm not
sure how long the fan has been dead, but I ran out and bought a replacement.
At first the new fan appeared to have solved the problem (video garbage
gone, no more involuntary rebooting), but soon after it started acting up
again (even with the spinning new chipset fan.)

I tried leaving the machine powered off for a long while. At first this
seemed to help for a short time (which might suggest a heat-related
problem), but now garbage appears immediately on bootup--even after a long
cool-down time. I'm wondering if something has now become permanently fried.

The machine previously never ran hot and lives in a temperature-controlled
room. The inside of the case is cleaned regularly. I tried reseating the
video card, but it didn't make a difference. I don't have access to another
AGP video card to test with.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience something similar before and what you
did to solve it.

All comments/suggestions sincerely appreciated.

Old January 26th 07, 06:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Fidelis K

"Bosconian" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

The 6800GT is not a cool running card and needs active cooling. Video
garbage suggests that the GPU is damaged from overheating.

Old January 26th 07, 06:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bosconian

"Bosconian" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

False alarm. Turns out it was just corrupt video drivers. Shame of me.

I jumped to conclusions and immediately assumed it was a hardware issue. The
dead chipset fan (which has probably been dead for a long while) was just a
coincidence, but diverted my attention and took me down a wrong path.

Anyway, sorry to have wasted everyone's time.

Old January 26th 07, 06:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bosconian

"Bosconian" wrote in message
. ..
"Bosconian" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Scratch that, the video garbage is back. Interestingly it went away after
reinstalling the drivers, but the problem persists after rebooting.

Old January 26th 07, 06:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bosconian

"Fidelis K" wrote in message

"Bosconian" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Thanks for your reply.

That's interesting. The card has never been overclocked and has worked
flawlessly for two years. The chassis is well-ventilated and vacuumed
regularly.

You might be right, but it's just weird the card just now started giving me
problems after all this time.

Bottom line, you're suggesting the card needs to be replaced?

Old January 26th 07, 06:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bosconian

"Fidelis K" wrote in message

"Bosconian" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I just felt the graphics card and it feels very cool to the touch. You might
not be familiar with this particular LeadTek card, but it has a huge brass
heatsink and fan on it. As a result it runs relatively cool.

You still might be right, but it just strikes me as odd.

Old January 26th 07, 07:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bosconian

"Fidelis K" wrote in message

"Bosconian" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Another note. I can successfully boot in safe mode (using generic video
drivers), albeit with the same video garbage.

Old January 26th 07, 07:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD

"Bosconian" wrote in message
. ..
"Fidelis K" wrote in message

"Bosconian" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

use the video card in another machine
integrated video available?
more than one stick of memory? remove one/swap if the garbage continues

Old January 26th 07, 10:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
OSbandito

Fidelis K wrote:

"Bosconian" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Can you pull the graphics card and try running off the native vid
support on the MB?
Old January 26th 07, 12:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Louie

Another note. I can successfully boot in safe mode (using generic
video drivers), albeit with the same video garbage.

I had a similar problem with an ATI AIW 9800 Pro. Video garbage, wouldn't
post or boot. Installed a ATI 7500 and the PC ran fine. RMA'ed the card
and received a *new* one within 2 weeks. Haven't tried it yet as I am
satified with the 7500. Just my .02.

Louie
Gainesville, FL
(eat the flies to email)