Dual Processors, Need help

Old June 5th 04, 12:23 PM
MakD-T

Default Dual Processors, Need help

Hi
i wanted to implement the folling as a part of m grad course project
Here is the outline of my idea.

I always wanted to build my own dual processor system. I am currantly
fascinated by the
opteron so was hoping to build a dual opteron 64 fx system.

i was thinking, if i could write an interfacer software that would
allow the home user to
build a dual system, then load this software which i make, which would
work like so,
(this is the first step of the final software)
I (the user) would assign which operations and applications would run
on which processor
for e.g. if i have winamp 5, adobe photoshop, adobe premiere, 3d
studio max, quake 3 arena
and a viruscanner
running
i would do assign things like so
processor 1
winamp 5
virus scan
photoshop
processor 2
3d studio max
adobe premiere
quake 3 arena

and the rest of my software i can leave for auto assigning (right now
that would be done
on the basis of even distribution of numbers i.e. i would try to have
both processors run
equal number of programs)

If i can build the above system then i will update it to a more
sophisticated version where
the processor and job load assignment is based on currant system
resource availability which will be done automatically.
This is my basic idea. I havent thought it through completely.
Has this been done yet?(still researching it properly but mostly will
do it after my exams)
A friend of mine told me that this has already been done and that that
is what windows does
for him with his hyper threading pentium 4, but i want to extend this
to dual processor
systems.
anyway i had the following questions.
1. Is it a good idea?
2. Is this possible or am i thinking a bit too complicated?
3. What all do i need to learn to start on this (for example do i need
assembly language,
vb java etc... more hardware knowledge)?
4. Will windows (or any operating sotware) give my program acces
rights of this sort or is
there some way i have to integrate my software with the OS?
5. Will the companies help me some way if i ask them for it( like i
cant afford to buy
a dual opteron system, so will amd allow me to come work in their
office a couple a times
a week, (i know u cant say what AMD will say but thought i'd ask
anyway)).
6. Which server applications are available that support dual
processors which i can use for
a baseline study? ( will research after exams).
7. Any online resources u know of where i could start off?
Well please let me know what u think of my idea, and if u can answer
all my questions please.
I did find one such software made my a guy who works for toms
hardware
i emailed but they arent replying (was hoping they would)
Anyway let me know how i can go about building this system
Thanks

Dual Channel Memory support Bobby General Hardware 1 April 29th 04 11:33 PM
Dual CPU Steve Schooler General 6 March 14th 04 10:53 PM
Mushkin PC3200 1Gb Dual Packs from Fry's DW Overclocking 3 September 24th 03 10:37 AM
Mushkin PC3200 1Gb Dual Packs from Fry's DW Homebuilt PC's 7 September 24th 03 10:37 AM
P4P800 Dual DDR Issue Jesse Overclocking 1 July 19th 03 02:36 AM