Kinesis Evolution, "ergonomic" keyboard

Old December 21st 03, 10:01 PM
John

Default Kinesis Evolution, "ergonomic" keyboard

`I'm typing this message on a Kinesis Evolution split keyboard mounted
to a workstation chair.

I'm adapting quickly to its key layout, but I'm not sure I want to
adapt. Some key groups such as the arrow group are relocated, similar
to keyboards of laptop/notebook PCs. I prefer frequently used keys to
be more forward-upward in location rather than toward my wrists. I
probably type many tens of thousands of keystrokes as a daily average
as a software programmer, and as an annoying author in online forums.

This keyboard places the editing group of keys (e.g. Insert, Delete)
crammed below the lower right palm area. With no key teets in this
editing key group, and with arrow keys normally preceding use of the
edit group, I'm trying to train myself to feel the perimeters of the
edit group with my thumb or small finger, and it's a chore to return
my right hand into the normal typing position -- performance penalty.

Because the keyboard is in two halves, the position of the left hand
is of no referencial help in adjusting the position of the right hand,
such as the need to return the right hand's index finger to the J key
after using the edit arrows -- another performance penalty.

I like the #6 key being on both the right and left keyboard halves, as
I prefer using the right hand for the 6. A problem for me is the 5%
loss in speed because now my body motor control must make small
corrections in remembering which keyboard I'm using, between this
Kinesis keyboard or standard IBM 101. I don't like the proprietary
Windows logo keys, which I remove from all my keyboards as they
complicate use of Ctrl and Alt keys, occupying valuable keyboard real
estate. Instead of leaving them to increase typing errors, I pry off
their keycaps.

I cannot budget a US$400 Kinesis keyboard for each of the workstations
among employers, friends, and home, and this keyboard is heavy and
bolt-on, not portable. The result is a vast improvement in ergonomic
physical comfort, yet a constantly steep and annoying performance
penalty.

As I type, I'm not permitted to slightly overshoot the following keys
without the touchpad housings occasionally snagging my index fingers
to a dull halt. The commonly troublesome keys a T, G, Y, H; and
lesser-used keys 6 and F5. The keys are recessed, lower than the
touchpad housing, so the sharp edge of the housing interrupts the
finger preventing a full stroke to type the key. These troubled keys
cause me to typo and backspace/delete to more carefully type the
missed characters. The word "carefully in the previous statement
caught my righthand index finger causing a typo. I may adapt, but
I'll probably remain 5% slower than on a standard 101, and an
estimated 30 hours of lost annual productivity, but all during
improved seating posture.