BENQ 8x dvd burners better than Liteons?

Old April 30th 04, 03:53 AM

Default BENQ 8x dvd burners better than Liteons?

Yeah it sounds like heresy but I signed a waiting list at my local
Office Max for one of those $69 after rebate 8x dual format burner
deals.

I got assurances that I would get a Pac Digital since Pac Digital - a
reboxer/rebadger of burners (they buy burners made by someone else in
bulk and put them in their boxes) is said to use NECs , Liteons and
BenQs. Most of the other reboxers are now using BTCs and other less
desirable burners.

So I asked around how can you tell whats in the Pac Digital box?
I got a detailed reply. But I also did more research into the burners.

Ive always assumed the Liteons were good because of the rep of the
Liteon CD burners and the early OK reviews of them and the poor or
mediocre rep of burners by BTC , Ultima , Benq, etc.

Liteon though - has been lagging in the DVD field. Everyone thought
they would come out like gangbusters with a dual format 4x - the best
at the lowest price. But they were really slow trailing others with a
dual format. And they had a lot of reported media compatiblity
problems. Now they seemed to lag with a 8x burner too and there are
more gripes posted about media problems though there are lots of
booster-ish pro-Liteon posts too as usual. But way more gripes vs. say
NEC.

Check out the reviews too at CD freaks, CDR Info. The NEC though not
the best in every category is noted for its media compatiblity and
quality burns - the area Im most interested.

The Liteons are OK - but seem to have problems with some media though
they have faster CD burning speeds.

In fact if you read the BenQ 8x - the review is very good and the
writer seems to be better at quality burns and compatibilty.
Additionally BenQ has a burb in which they claim a firmware upgrade -
free , will enable the Benq 8x burner to burn the new dual layer media
later on I think at the end of this year or so though at 2x speeds.

Additionally - the NEC 2500a which would be my favorite pick right now
is going for as low as $85 or so at Newegg no rebates.

The Liteons - they were lagging and had the 811s and 851 I think they
were called which does 8x DVD+R and 4x DVD-R as far as I can tell you
cant firmware upgrade to 8x DVD-R. You have to buy the 812 I think
its called a whole new model to get 8x 8x - and it costs I think $95
at newegg.

So should the rankings be NEC, BENQ , Liteon???? For great and
inexpensive burner? Or has Liteon improved their writing quality and
compatiblity to the point its on par with the others? And what about a
free firmware upgrade for dual layer burning? Sure what about NEC too
- people will say , but its cheaper and is praised for its writing
quality.

Also - the rebate deals - $69 seemed like a killer deal for a Liteon
or NEC. However you can get a NEC at Newegg for $85 at anytime
without rebate hassles. With the pac dig deal - you have the rebate
hassles AND you dont know if you are getting a NEC or Liteon or BenQ.
And the Liteon you are getting is at least until recently - the
811/851 8x 4x not even the 812. The 851 goes for much cheaper - not
that much more - $79 in OEM form.

So compared to Newegg - IF you are lucky enough to get the NEC 2500a
you save a measly $16 or so ( though it does come with software and
the newegg price Im quoting maybe OEM barebones). IF you get the
Liteon $10 and Im not sure I particularly want the 851 or 811 and even
the 812 which does get 8x 8x but I still see a lot of gripes about
media compatiblity at various sites.

Benq? Im not sure. I thought Id want that the least but maybe its
better than the Liteon.

So besides the fact Benq maybe moving up in the DVD 8x world who knows
- 8x dvd burner prices have fallen low enough that maybe its not even
worth it to go for the $69 rebate deals anymore.

BenQ FP767 teddee General 1 October 7th 03 07:13 PM
Benq monitor driver not XP approved? Bill General 1 September 16th 03 09:01 PM
Checking on DVD burners Kevin C. Redden General 3 August 23rd 03 05:24 PM
Benq FP557S 15" TFT waj787 General 0 August 12th 03 03:11 AM