Installing MoBo

Old November 23rd 04, 03:56 PM

Default Installing MoBo

Hi All

I'm trying to build my first home-build computer.(Asus A7N8X-E)
And now I have a question about how I do installing my MoBo in the case.I
have fit those copper things to keep the distants between the case and the
MoBo.On the MoBo side I have to fit these little ring for the electrical
insulation (or is this isolation!!!)
Whatever, my question is::do I fit those rings on both sides, or just on the
top side of the MoBo.

Thx in advance
françois

Old November 23rd 04, 04:47 PM
John Doe

I'm trying to build my first home-build computer.(Asus A7N8X-E)
And now I have a question about how I do installing my MoBo in the
case.I have fit those copper things to keep the distants between
the case and the MoBo.

The distance is so that the underside of the mainboard does not
contact the metal case.

On the MoBo side I have to fit these little ring for the electrical
insulation (or is this isolation!!!)
Whatever, my question is::do I fit those rings on both sides, or
just on the top side of the MoBo.

Maybe neither. Did you get those rings from some shop?

Modern mainboard's are designed to be grounded at those points (I'm
not saying it's absolutely necessary).

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/sock...7n8x-e-d_l.jpg

In the picture, you can see silver colored electrically conductive
circles around the mainboard mounting holes. Those are ground
points, they are connected directly to device ground pins on the
mainboard. Power supply and mainboard ground are connected to the
case. There's no reason to insulate those points. Of course you
might want to avoid overtightening the screws or using screws which
have very big heads.

Old November 23rd 04, 06:31 PM
Bob Day

wrote in message
Hi All

I'm trying to build my first home-build computer.(Asus A7N8X-E)
And now I have a question about how I do installing my MoBo in the case.I
have fit those copper things to keep the distants between the case and the
MoBo.On the MoBo side I have to fit these little ring for the electrical
insulation (or is this isolation!!!)
Whatever, my question is::do I fit those rings on both sides, or just on the
top side of the MoBo.

Get a good book on how to build a PC and read it.

-- Bob Day

Old November 23rd 04, 06:50 PM
Mac Cool

my question is::do I fit those rings on both sides, or just on the
top side of the MoBo.

Top

--
Mac Cool
Old November 23rd 04, 07:20 PM
JAD

Washers: Generally made of plastic or paper, these go under the screws
to keep the screw head away from the circuitry on the top surface of
the motherboard. These are now sometimes being omitted in new system
cases because they are less necessary now than they once were (since
motherboards today now tend to keep the circuitry farther away from
the screwholes than they once did).

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/case/partsHardware-c.html

Old November 23rd 04, 07:36 PM
Al Smith

I'm trying to build my first home-build computer.(Asus A7N8X-E)

Good choice.

And now I have a question about how I do installing my MoBo in the case.I
have fit those copper things to keep the distants between the case and the
MoBo.

Be very careful that you don't put a brass spacer somewhere behind
the board, then forget it's there when you fit the motherboard
into the case. It could short out the board if it makes contact
with the circuits on the back. Just keep track of them and make
sure you have a screw hole on the motherboard for each spacer you
put onto the case.

On the MoBo side I have to fit these little ring for the electrical
insulation (or is this isolation!!!)
Whatever, my question is::do I fit those rings on both sides, or just on the
top side of the MoBo.

Those little paper rings are just extras. You don't need them. The
board is designed to be insulated from the brass spacers at the
screw holes.
Old November 24th 04, 01:00 AM
-Avery Anderson-

you don' need no stinkin spacers or washers no more.

Old November 24th 04, 02:33 AM
do_not_spam_me

wrote in message ...

I'm trying to build my first home-build computer.
(Asus A7N8X-E) And now I have a question about how
I do installing my MoBo in the case. I have fit
those copper things to keep the distants between the
case and the MoBo. On the MoBo side I have to fit
these little ring for the electrical insulation (or
is this isolation!!!)
do I fit those rings on both sides, or just on the
top side of the MoBo.

The copper things are actually brass and called "standoffs."

When in doubt, install those rings (fiber washers) on both sides of
each hole because if you leave out a needed washer, the motherboard
will short to ground and possibly be damaged. On the other hand if
you install unneeded washers you'll simply waste some time and washers
and have marginally worse immunity to electrical noise.

Nobody should make a blanket recommendation about insulator washers
and all motherboards, and each board must be inspected individually.
If a side of a mounting hole is surrounded by a copper donut (usually
has 6 tiny holes around it, may be coated with solder) or is
completely clear of any copper (neither standoff nor screw can
possibly touch copper traces), then it doesn't need an insulator
washer. Motherboards made in the past 5 years rarely need insulators
but I've seen exceptions as new as 12 months old.