Western Digital Red?

Old November 23rd 16, 07:41 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default Western Digital Red?

Reading through the webpage for this product, it says that it's for NAS
systems. How exactly as a hard drive for a NAS different than a regular
desktop one?

Yousuf Khan
Old November 24th 16, 12:07 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

On 11/23/2016 01:41 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:

Reading through the webpage for this product, it says that it's for NAS
systems. How exactly as a hard drive for a NAS different than a regular
desktop one?

1. Drives designed for NAS use *may* run at a lower speed, e.g.,
5400/5900rpm rather than 7200rpm. They probably run a little cooler this
way. I think this is true of WD Red drives.

2. They may be designed to minimize rotational and other vibration that
could affect other drives in the same enclosure.

As with any brand, some people love the Reds for NAS use, but I just
read a post on the FreeNAS forum by someone who will never buy another Red.

Perce

Old November 24th 16, 04:32 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 11/23/2016 01:41 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:

Reading through the webpage for this product, it says that it's for NAS
systems. How exactly as a hard drive for a NAS different than a regular
desktop one?

1. Drives designed for NAS use *may* run at a lower speed, e.g.,
5400/5900rpm rather than 7200rpm. They probably run a little cooler this
way. I think this is true of WD Red drives.

2. They may be designed to minimize rotational and other vibration that
could affect other drives in the same enclosure.

As with any brand, some people love the Reds for NAS use, but I just
read a post on the FreeNAS forum by someone who will never buy another Red.

Yes, I noticed that it's a slower-speed drive. Does it really make a
huge difference that a drive is either 5400/5900 RPM these days with
64MB caches onboard?

Yousuf Khan

Old November 24th 16, 10:35 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
mike

On 11/23/2016 7:32 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
[...]

A few years back, I updated a laptop from 5400 to 7200RPM.
Made a significant difference in how fast it "felt".
Old November 24th 16, 05:35 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 22:32:00 -0500, Yousuf Khan
wrote:

Yes, I noticed that it's a slower-speed drive. Does it really make a
huge difference that a drive is either 5400/5900 RPM these days with
64MB caches onboard?

If it is not your main drive, no. Cache matters a little bit, when you
are doing repetitive stuff. The frequently used info stored in cache,
not retrieved from drive = much faster response time for that info.

You would notice the speed of the faster drive when playing games, for
example. A 7200-rpm drive will respond noticeably faster than a
5400/5900-rpm drive when playing games because "speed matters" in
games where reaction time to events onscreen make a difference. But,
if you are playing games where "speed matters", then you should be
using a SSD, not a rotating drive.
Old November 28th 16, 10:55 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 11/24/2016 4:35 AM, mike wrote:
On 11/23/2016 7:32 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
Yes, I noticed that it's a slower-speed drive. Does it really make a
huge difference that a drive is either 5400/5900 RPM these days with
64MB caches onboard?

Yousuf Khan

A few years back, I updated a laptop from 5400 to 7200RPM.
Made a significant difference in how fast it "felt".

True, but I've also recently noticed that some newer 7200's feel a lot
faster than older 7200's, without any change in rotational speeds. I'm
assuming it's due disk caching. So given identical disk caching, will a
5900 feel pretty fast too?

Yousuf Khan
Old November 29th 16, 11:22 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

On 11/28/2016 1:55 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:

True, but I've also recently noticed that some newer 7200's feel a lot
faster than older 7200's, without any change in rotational speeds. I'm
assuming it's due disk caching. So given identical disk caching, will a
5900 feel pretty fast too?

More data per inch.
--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old December 1st 16, 12:37 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 11/29/2016 5:22 AM, Ed Light wrote:
On 11/28/2016 1:55 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:

True, but I've also recently noticed that some newer 7200's feel a lot
faster than older 7200's, without any change in rotational speeds. I'm
assuming it's due disk caching. So given identical disk caching, will a
5900 feel pretty fast too?

More data per inch.

So 5000's would have the same amount of data/inch as 7200's.

Yousuf Khan