Are you thinking of buying Asus gear?

Old April 8th 14, 06:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Jim[_38_]

Default Are you thinking of buying Asus gear?

If so try to "talk" to someone in tech/cust support and see how bad it
is, it's a joke sent an email took them 2 days to reply and when they
did they refused to answer my question about their bios and told me to
look in the manual, which i had already done.
Just be warned they are the worst company i have ever used, even worse
then Sky Television.
Old April 8th 14, 09:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Jim wrote:
If so try to "talk" to someone in tech/cust support and see how bad it
is, it's a joke sent an email took them 2 days to reply and when they
did they refused to answer my question about their bios and told me to
look in the manual, which i had already done.
Just be warned they are the worst company i have ever used, even worse
then Sky Television.

Have you used CPU-Z to verify the settings being used for the RAM ?
Compare what CPU-Z says, to the actual RAM specs.

You could switch down to using just one stick of RAM at a time,
then do some testing.

Generally, you don't try to run a test, until one pass of this
is clean. memtest86+ is a self-booting memory test, that tests
pretty well all of the memory (1MB BIOS area reserved and untested).
This is not a "stress test" as such, but it's a start at tuning RAM.
If you see an error at the same address location each time the test
is run, there's a chance that's a stuck-at error on the RAM. Whereas
random memory areas throwing errors, some tuning in the BIOS could help.

http://www.memtest.org

With an Asus BIOS (at least in the past), you'd select "Manual"
for some of the major settings, and then you can see more settings
exposed. Individual settings can still be left at Auto, but at least
you get to see more of what is going on.

Asus has a user-to-user forum, and if a particular version of
BIOS is bad, you can get the info there. Each motherboard should
have its own forum. When motherboard models share a common BIOS,
the behaviors might be evident on other boards too. If your board
doesn't have a lot of forum posts, try a related and visually
similar motherboard (one with the same voltage regulator
structure and features perhaps).

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx...Language=en-us

In modern times, the CPU has the memory controller. So the Northbridge
is inside the CPU. Electrical performance tends to follow the CPU
around. The motherboard provides controlled impedance copper tracks
to join the CPU to the memory DIMM socket. But the motherboard BIOS
does the programming, and mis-adjusted voltage or timing can
make it flaky. If the processor design itself is at fault,
then all users of the sams LGA family should be seeing it.
Gone are the days where an NVidia separate Northbridge,
behaved differently than a VIA separate Northbridge, when
controlling memory. Since the CPU does it, there is much
less that can go wrong in terms of motherboard design.
Flaky voltage regulation is still a possibility. Or
clock source jitter perhaps (not too likely).

Paul
Old April 10th 14, 03:12 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
DevilsPGD[_5_]

In the last episode of , Jim
said:

If so try to "talk" to someone in tech/cust support and see how bad it
is, it's a joke sent an email took them 2 days to reply and when they
did they refused to answer my question about their bios and told me to
look in the manual, which i had already done.

I've had great interactions with them on an unstable Sabertooth
motherboard, including a warranty replacement.
Old May 4th 14, 08:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
dan

On Wed, 09 Apr 2014 19:12:49 -0700, DevilsPGD
wrote:

In the last episode of , Jim
said:

If so try to "talk" to someone in tech/cust support and see how bad it
is, it's a joke sent an email took them 2 days to reply and when they
did they refused to answer my question about their bios and told me to
look in the manual, which i had already done.

I've had great interactions with them on an unstable Sabertooth
motherboard, including a warranty replacement.

I have had horrible experience, they kept on saying contact your local
trading standards. Never will I buy Asus again.

Old May 5th 14, 09:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
ghostrider

On 5/4/2014 12:52 AM, dan wrote:
On Wed, 09 Apr 2014 19:12:49 -0700, DevilsPGD
wrote:

In the last episode of , Jim
said:

If so try to "talk" to someone in tech/cust support and see how bad it
is, it's a joke sent an email took them 2 days to reply and when they
did they refused to answer my question about their bios and told me to
look in the manual, which i had already done.

I've had great interactions with them on an unstable Sabertooth
motherboard, including a warranty replacement.

I have had horrible experience, they kept on saying contact your local
trading standards. Never will I buy Asus again.

Not living in the UK but if the ASUS board in question is not a
retail product from ASUS but an OEM board that should have been
sold to a systems builder, then it has made the right response.
This is a matter to be resolved between the buyer and the OEM
builder-seller and not ASUS.

OTOH, if the motherboard in question is a retail one, then ASUS
would have settled with you according to its warranty. Was there
a written warranty or guarantee from ASUS? This is the way ASUS
handles things in the US.

GR
Old May 6th 14, 10:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
dan

On Mon, 05 May 2014 13:17:54 -0700, Ghostrider " 00 wrote:

On 5/4/2014 12:52 AM, dan wrote:
On Wed, 09 Apr 2014 19:12:49 -0700, DevilsPGD
wrote:

In the last episode of , Jim
said:

[...]

It is a retail MB that I bought from a store in London. But the store
no longer exists physically & only on the web. When I contacted the e
tailer they said their records no longer go back that far (2011). The
MB is a Asus sabertooth B3 p67 which says it has a 5 year warranty.

Thnaks to all replies

Dan.

Old May 6th 14, 06:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
DevilsPGD[_5_]

On 5/4/2014 12:52 AM, dan wrote:
On Wed, 09 Apr 2014 19:12:49 -0700, DevilsPGD
wrote:

In the last episode of , Jim
said:

[...]

Interesting. I'm not sure about how UK law works, whether it's the
retailer or the vendor that is responsible for warranties, but I would
definitely take it to your local trading standards.

Companies rarely want to be dragged in front of a regulatory body, so
the fact that a company suggested it makes me wonder if there isn't
something more going on (or the rep knows that they will help if forced,
and is trying to push you in the right direction)

Beyond that, it just seems odd, unless of course you're missing the
purchase documentation and also didn't register the product when you
purchased it, in which case I can see why neither the vendor nor the
retailer might be willing to help (and they might kick you over to local
trading standards knowing that you don't have sufficient documentation
to get them to assist either)

--
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but
improperly spelled insults merely amuse me.
Old May 6th 14, 07:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
dan

On Tue, 06 May 2014 10:50:42 -0700, DevilsPGD
wrote:

On 5/4/2014 12:52 AM, dan wrote:
On Wed, 09 Apr 2014 19:12:49 -0700, DevilsPGD
wrote:

In the last episode of , Jim
said:

[...]

As far as I know it is the retailer that is responsible for all
warranties in the UK. Asus kept on fobbing me off about trading
standards. I lost the purchase proof when I re arranged my store room,
yes I forgot to register the mb with Asus. I am one really unhappy,
now ex Asus customer. Gigabyte has a real UK telephone number to get
help from. Asus has a UK telephone number that when rung goes into a
loop about contact your vendor.
Old May 6th 14, 11:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
DevilsPGD[_5_]

In the last episode of , dan
said:

On Tue, 06 May 2014 10:50:42 -0700, DevilsPGD
wrote:

On 5/4/2014 12:52 AM, dan wrote:
On Wed, 09 Apr 2014 19:12:49 -0700, DevilsPGD
wrote:

In the last episode of , Jim
said:

[...]

I guess my point is this: If it's the retailer who is responsible and
not the manufacturer or wholesaler, I don't blame the manufacturer for
not taking on responsibility that doesn't belong to them, I probably
wouldn't either.

Trading standards sounds like it would be the correct step, since you
may be able to beat the retailer into standing behind their product even
though the claim to not have records (but then since you don't either,
it complicates things significantly)

But really, without any proof of purchase, receipt, proof of purchase,
etc, what else do you expect them to do?

--
I left the womb for this?
Old May 7th 14, 01:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

DevilsPGD wrote:
In the last episode of , dan
said:

On Tue, 06 May 2014 10:50:42 -0700, DevilsPGD
wrote:

On 5/4/2014 12:52 AM, dan wrote:
On Wed, 09 Apr 2014 19:12:49 -0700, DevilsPGD
wrote:

In the last episode of , Jim
said:

[...]

When Asus provides a warranty, the warranty period is based on
the serial number on the motherboard.

The warranty period with Asus, is measured from the date of manufacture.
For each month the product sits on a retailer shelf, that's a money
of your warranty gone.

Let's take my current motherboard, P5E Deluxe. Nominal warranty
is three years. When I got the motherboard, and checked
the lead two characters (the year and month characters), I
could determine that 18 months of my warranty was already
gone. The motherboard box in question, had been sitting on
the retailer shelf, from the date of introduction. The motherboard
would have been in the first lot hitting the North American shores.
And as a result of that, I had "half a warranty".

And this means you should buy from high volume sellers,
not from people who hold a lot of stale product on the shelf.

By measuring from date of manufacture, there is no "sales receipt"
issue. Since it is not the purchase date used to start the warranty,
but the serial number (manufacture date), all parties know exactly
where they stand.

Paul