DreamPC 2006 ready for it's grave...

Old November 1st 11, 03:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

Default DreamPC 2006 ready for it's grave...

Ok, when I removed bandage the blooding seemed to have stopped, but if I
stress it it will probably bleed again.

The new bandage a bit tight, maybe too tight, but gonna let it be for now..
hurts a bit, but ok.

There little bit more loose, hurt is bad, no hurt is good

Ok now I go secure that dangerous razor... and then on with the cable show !

Bye,
Sky-dry-blood.

Old November 1st 11, 03:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

I was even searching in the wrong box, but I thought I just start somewhere
and see, then I knew it was other box, but anyway good thing I searched that
first box, there were 3 of these dangerous razor sharp motherboard i/o
brackets in there... I have placed them all 3 in the cabinet so it's out of
harms way lol...

and I also find the two nice av cables which will probably reach to my
receiver, maybe even without moving monitor, now opening monitor side panel
!

Wow I just heard a strange noise... hmm must be windows, and also a windows
beep oh well.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old November 1st 11, 03:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

Ok, that black extension cord cable/thingy is not the correct cable.

The correct cable is the shorter black cables with the yellow connectors.

It's a bit short so monitor will have to move, from now on I keep it in the
little table with receiver on top/next to PC so I can easily find it and use
it

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old November 1st 11, 03:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

Wow I just noticed something when I was in my spare parts room.

There is an electrical cable running from the power wall socket to the
heating.

This is a "ground" wire connected to the heating done by a precious owner or
perhaps the cooperation.

This is probably forbidden by now, and is probably ineffective or maybe it's
still effective, but it also looks a bit dangerous.

I definetly don't want heating to get electrified or so... for now it's
probably ok since I don't use that power socket but I was thinking about
maybe getting a network storage device...

But now that I see that flaky power socket I am a bit scared about that, so
not gonna do that for now but I might still look into what I might have
bought or so...

Gjez what a surprise again

At least the kitchen seems to have one grounded power wall socket, but now I
am starting to wonder if it's really grounded or just a fake, maybe it's
even a fake and that could be dangerous, especially since the fridge
is also kinda flaky/shacky/always running so this could lead to perhaps a
defective fridge and dangerous electrical situation, so gotta try and get
somebody to look at that gjez !

For now on with the show !

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old November 1st 11, 03:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

Ok,

I just did the audessey auto-setup test and it was kinda interesting to see
it detect the range/meters to speakers, one speaker behind some stuff.

But the weird/odd thing is the receiver changed the assignments of the
speakers, which confuses windows/creative labs software/thx software which
is kinda strange but ok.

I guess I have no choice but to follow the receiver's assignment somehow ?!?

But how do I know which speaker is where ?

This is a really strange situation... I guess I will have to use thx
assignment sound and listen very carefully where sound is coming from.

If this is not done correctly then I guess the audessey auto-setup is kinda
useless and the wrong settings would be used per speaker.

Pretty amazing how complex these audio guys have made all of this, but there
is probably a reason for it...

Well now I go try and re-configure the software setup so it uses the correct
speakers, gjez..

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old November 1st 11, 03:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

That is not very usefull, first of all the noise sound is hard to
distinguish where it's coming from and second of all it just doesn't make
much sense it completely screws up the assignments it's just weird.

My conclusion can only be that for PC's + Receivers the audessey auto setup
is probably useless and miss configures the equalizer and assignments unless
I could somehow figure it out, but it's way too much work and confusing and
just plain weird.

So instead I am going to play it safe and set everything to defaults or
so... because otherwise it's just weird.

To bad that THX software and receiver cannot work together to come to an
agreement.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old November 1st 11, 03:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

However, maybe then again it might not matter for the receiver.

The receiver will probably use it's own equalizer settings and distance
settings to produce the correct sound from the speakers.

So ultimately how windows/creative configures it doesn't matter for the
receiver.

They independant systems... I just have to setup the software side to use
correct speakers and thus the audessey auto setup/test should be usefull.

However receiver slightly in front of right speaker which will be moved, and
my foot was also slightly in front of rear left speaker.

I could feel the pounding on my feet which was kinda funny/amazing, probably
doesn't influence it that much or maybe it will but I am not going to
re-do...

I also tried second position hearing setup but cancelled it, because there
is no second position, hopefully those variables weren't set during the
receiver's calculation

I do hope those guys who programmed it where smart enough to zero out those
variables when I cancelled it, I bet they did

So so far it looks good, now just have to reconfigure speaker assignment
which should be easy, though maybe not...

The receiver really pulled a number on me here since now the labels on the
connectors might not make sense anymore... or maybe it will I don't know...

It's still pretty damn strange...

But hopefully it gonna work out !

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old November 1st 11, 04:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

Ok re-assigning the speakers was easy, I learned that last time I messed
with this.

Just go around and click in circle no matter where sound is coming from, and
swap woofer with left speaker and done.

So now everything should be setup properly.

Now time for some music to see if I notice anything different.. well it's
interesting it does sound a bit different but that's ofcourse because
the speaker configuration is now correct.

It does sound a bit cooler than last time so I guess the auddesy auto setup
that help a little bit to get the max out of it !

Ok now time for cleaning up and go enjoy some more music !

However I do wonder if the zooming/humming of the PC might have some
influence on it, maybe some day I should do a re-callibration with the PC
off, and just on screen display menu !

But I will save that experience for the feature ! Gotta think little bit
of neighbours too That testing does produce some shock waves slightly !

And I don't wanna turn off my computer at this very moment !

I think the audessey test might compensate for the buzzing sound of PC since
it's very weak or maybe not...

Maybe it's even better to test with PC on, since normally it will be on as
well. Maybe the test does and "environment/ambient sampling to see what's
that all about"

So for now I am gonna let it be !

Sounds nice so it's good enough !

Bye,
Skybuck

Old November 1st 11, 05:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Dave Platt

In article . net,
Skybuck Flying wrote:

The number of bad sectors seems to have increased I think... probably caused
by the ticking yesterday.

The ticking is gone today, the ticking yesterday occured very suddenly,
therefore I shall have to come to the following conclusion:

The cause of the ticking could be:

Micro vibrations and resonance.

In my experience, the commonest cause of an audible "tick" in a hard
drive during operation, is the drive trying to reset itself after
having encountered a damaged or unreadable sector.

If the drive controller is having serious trouble even locating the
sector - if its headers have been so badly damaged that the drive
cannot find where the sector begins - then the drive controller may
retract the arm all the way to the landing zone and perform an
internal recalibration, and then try again. This process can repeat
over and over, if the drive is still having problems locating the
sector.

Certain models of hard drive were notorious for this sort of "click of
death" - if you hear it, you know that your drive is dying.

In other words - the ticking isn't *causing* bad sectors - the ticking
is probably *caused* *by* bad sectors.

Also, in my experience (and the conversations I've had with engineers
at several hard drive manufacturers over the past 12 years) the
commonest cause of damage to hard drive isn't vibration or resonance
(micro or otherwise) - it's larger shocks or bangs, sufficient to
cause "head slap" (where the flying head actually bounces down far
enough to hit the spinning platter).

A single head-slap can knock particles loose from the disk surface,
and this can create a continual cascade of failure. These particles
can land on the surface of the platter (the internal air filter
catches some but not all), and if the head hits these particles at a
later time this will cause further damage to the platter surface and
knock loose *more* crud... and so forth.

Analysing system and hard-drive-related failures is part of what I do
for a living (digital video recorders rather than PCs, but the same
sorts of drives are used). I've seen quite a few drives develop bad
sectors due to head-slap damage (i.e. mis-handling of the equipment,
in most cases), and they don't tend to live long after this happens...
more and more sectors go bad. It's rare (IME) for drives to ever
truly recover from this sort of damage, and it's best to replace them
promptly.

If you want your drives to live a long time, treat them gently - do
not bang them, and do not move them around while the power is on and
the platter is spinning.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old November 1st 11, 06:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

"FatBytestard" wrote in message

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 03:46:19 +0100, "Skybuck Flying"
wrote:

I personally do not care about any facts you may find because my harddisk
has bad sectors plain and simple.

"
But it was NOT from you closing your ****ing PC case door, IDIOT!
"

I never said it was. Learn the meaning of the word probably idiot ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck :P