Buffer Underrun Sound

Old March 4th 06, 12:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Default Buffer Underrun Sound

I think this might be the problem with a CD I made recently. What does
buffer underrun sound like when played?

Old March 4th 06, 01:58 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

On 3 Mar 2006 16:31:32 -0800, wrote:

I think this might be the problem with a CD I made recently. What does
buffer underrun sound like when played?

I don't understand the question.

If you get a buffer underrun in an older drive without underrun
protection, the drive just stops burning and spits out the disc. Since
it doesn't finalize, some audio players won't play it. Those that
don't care will play right up until the underrun point, and will cut
out because there's nothing left to play.

If it's burned using a newer drive with underrun protection, depending
on the specific combination of media, burner, and player, you might
not hear anything, or you might get a skip at that point. Some
underrun protections are better than others, and the transition
between the pause and resume in burn isn't detectable. On some, the
gap is there, but it's really small. The small gap isn't usually
noticeable on most players, but you might encounter one or two that
will choke on it, giving you a skip (sort of like when you play a
lightly scratched disc).

The recent underrun protections and motor precision on recent drives
is quite good. You shouldn't notice any difference at all. Any audio
playback weirdness is much more likely due to media incompatibility or
issues with reading discs burned at higher speeds (16x seems to be the
magic threshold for this, and only affects older players).
Thanks.

MCheu
Old March 4th 06, 04:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Then that's not the problem. It basically makes these sounds like maybe
water leaking or like a warped record. I know I'm being vague but it's
hard to describe. A warped record might be the best way to describe it.

Old March 25th 06, 03:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr

You aren't recording it at too high a speed by any chance, some disc
will cope and some won't at the higher transfer speed.

Davy