Looking for brief explanation of evolution of P4 cpu line

Old June 23rd 05, 06:03 AM
CPU Guy

Default Looking for brief explanation of evolution of P4 cpu line

I'm trying to figure out what socket-478 pentiums (or celerons) are
still being made by Intel (and hence are still "in the channel").

I'm also trying to figure out which socket 478 pentiums are NOT
compatible with some older socket 478 motherboards (by older I mean
motherboards made in 2002 and 2003).

For example, this motherboard:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...7210/P4SCA.cfm
(supermicro P4SCA)

says:

Single mPGA478 ZIF Sockets
• Supports an Intel® Pentium® 4 processor with 2MB of integrated
Advanced Transfer Cache up to 3.4GHz (Extreme Edition)
• Supports an Intel® Celeron® processor with 128KB of integrated
Advanced Transfer Cache up to 2.4GHz
• Hyper-threading enabled

So which CPU's (below) does the above description refer to? And what
is the current state of production / availability of said CPU's?

Same question for Soyo SY-P4I 845PE ISA
http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=194

For example, I see the term "non-Prescott support". Does that mean
Northwood? If so, why don't they just say "northwood". Why use the
friggen stupid term "non-prescott" ???

Let me know if the following is incorrect.

Ignoring socket 423 (willamette), we have:

1) first version of Prescott
- socket 478
- .18 micron
- 400 mhz FSB
- 2.8 ghz max

2) Northwood (a):
- socket 478
- .13 micron
- 1.5 volt core
- 400, 533 mhz FSB
- 2.0 - 2.8 ghz

3) Northwood (b) with HT:
- socket 478
- .13 micron
- ? volts
- 533, 800 Mhz FSB
- 3.0 - 3.4 ghz

4) Northwood (c) Extreme Edition
- socket 478
- .13 micron
- 1.525 - 1.6 volts (103 watts)
- 800 mhz FSB
- 2.8 -4.0 ghz

5) Prescott (second version)
- socket what? 478?
- again they use prescott name - why?
- .09 micron
- 1.25 - 1.4 volts (89 to 103 watts)
- 533, 800 Mhz FSB
- 2.8 - 4.0 ghz
Old June 23rd 05, 01:31 PM
Alex Johnson

CPU Guy wrote:
Let me know if the following is incorrect.

Ignoring socket 423 (willamette), we have:

1) first version of Prescott
- socket 478
- .18 micron
- 400 mhz FSB
- 2.8 ghz max

5) Prescott (second version)
- socket what? 478?
- again they use prescott name - why?
- .09 micron
- 1.25 - 1.4 volts (89 to 103 watts)
- 533, 800 Mhz FSB
- 2.8 - 4.0 ghz

Well right off you have a big mistake. What you have as #1 is
Willamette, but it has a 2.0ghz max speed. Prescott MEANS 0.09 micron
Pentium 4.

I would list them thusly:
#1 Willamette
- socket 423
- 0.18 micron
- 400mhz bus
- 256k cache
- 1.3-2.0ghz
- availible Q4'00

#2 Northwood
- socket 478
- 0.13 micron
- 400, 533, 800mhz bus
- 512k cache
- 1.6-3.4ghz
- availible Q4'01

#3 Prescott
- socket 478, socket 775
- 0.09 micron
- 800mhz bus
- 1M, 2M cache
- 2.8-3.8ghz
- availible Q1'04

Note: these speeds do not include celerons, which are really just
variations of the above chips with lower bus speed, lower core speed,
and less cache.
Old June 23rd 05, 02:12 PM
CPU Guy

Alex Johnson wrote:

CPU Guy wrote:
Let me know if the following is incorrect.

Ignoring socket 423 (willamette), we have:

1) first version of Prescott
- socket 478
- .18 micron
- 400 mhz FSB
- 2.8 ghz max

5) Prescott (second version)
- socket what? 478?
- again they use prescott name - why?
- .09 micron
- 1.25 - 1.4 volts (89 to 103 watts)
- 533, 800 Mhz FSB
- 2.8 - 4.0 ghz

Well right off you have a big mistake. What you have as #1 is
Willamette, but it has a 2.0ghz max speed. Prescott MEANS 0.09
micron Pentium 4.

Well, from this page:

http://www.geek.com/procspec/intel/p7consumer.htm

It appears that the first Prescott (available Aug 27 / 2001) was a .18
micron chip (available in both socket 423 and 478).

"The 478-pin Pentium 4 was originally code-named Prescott."

This page contains more info:

http://www.geek.com/procspec/intel/northwood.htm

It says the northwoods weren't available until Q1'02.

So basically there are northwood P4's and there are Prescott (.09)
P4's (both socket 478) and some relatively recent socket-478 P4
motherboards (I guess) won't work properly with a prescott CPU.

I still wonder why they say "non-prescott" when they mean (I guess)
Northwood.

So the important question is, is Intel still making Northwoods?
Old June 27th 05, 01:53 PM
Alex Johnson

CPU Guy wrote:
So the important question is, is Intel still making Northwoods?

I do not believe so.