Don't buy Asus motherboards

Old August 4th 08, 10:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Basil

Default Don't buy Asus motherboards

"007" wrote in :

grossly overpriced

It's your problem if you can't afford the best. Janitor jobs don't pay
much.
Old August 6th 08, 12:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
nospam

"Derek MacKeddie" wrote in message ...
The message dcKlk.57663$nD.56733@pd7urf1no
from Basil contains these words:

Derek MacKeddie wrote in
:

Depends on the version of the BIOS that you're using on it, the earlier
versions are definately better than the latest ones.

In what way? I want factual details and not vague opinion.

My P5K with any bios later than revision PK5_0603 gives me constant
memory errors when I'm running my Crucial PC2-6400 RAM at its rated
speed.
The memory is not faulty, when you downgrade the BIOS back to version
PK5_0603 the memory errors all go away again.

0603? Which version of the P5K is this?

Old August 6th 08, 04:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ron Todd

On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 21:08:31 GMT, Basil
wrote:

"007" wrote in :

grossly overpriced

........ Janitor jobs don't pay
much.

OT, but the last Janitor job I observed paid $40k/pa, full medical,
full dental, full optical, 9 paid holidays, two weeks paid vacation,
time and a half overtime plus double time Sunday, and full match up to
5% on the 401(k) with full retirement at 55.
Old August 7th 08, 02:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
~misfit~[_3_]

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Derek MacKeddie" typed:
The message
from "nospam" contains these words:

"Derek MacKeddie" wrote in message
The message dcKlk.57663$nD.56733@pd7urf1no
from Basil contains these words:

Derek MacKeddie wrote in
:

Depends on the version of the BIOS that you're using on it, the
earlier
versions are definately better than the latest ones.

In what way? I want factual details and not vague opinion.

My P5K with any bios later than revision PK5_0603 gives me constant
memory errors when I'm running my Crucial PC2-6400 RAM at its rated
speed.
The memory is not faulty, when you downgrade the BIOS back to
version PK5_0603 the memory errors all go away again.

0603? Which version of the P5K is this?

It's a version of the BIOS, not a version of the motheboard.

Yeah, a 12 month old version that doesn't support 45nm CPUs.

I have a P5K-E WiFi-AP and I found that the later BIOS', the ones from the
last four months or so, are far better than the older ones. I've read on the
forums the same for most of the P5K range.

The newer BIOS' have far less Vdroop and are more stable. I can't see any
reason to be using a year-old BIOS when there have been three releases since
then.

Have you tried the BIOS version 1006? If you're having trouble with your RAM
and can't get it stable with that BIOS version then there's something wrong
with your RAM. What would you do if you wanted to run a latest generation
CPU in it?
--
Shaun.

Old August 16th 08, 11:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Jungle Man

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 13:03:28 -0700, "anon aka"
wrote:

The software support for Asus motherboards is the worst in the industry. I
have used and recommended Asus for years but something has changed. They
seem to be struggling in their software support. The motherboard download
site run by bumbling idiots that can never get it right. I won't trust Asus
ever again.

Oldspook

I have had outstanding performance from my P5k Deluxe WiFi. My first
build since 2001 and it's been a winner, so far. Running latest BIOS
(v0902), Q6600 Quad Core overclocked to 3.46GHz (383 x 9), 2GB of
Crucial Ballistix RAM, Win XP SP2+, smokin'.
Old August 17th 08, 02:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
TE Chea

| I have had outstanding performance

I returned M2N-VM DVI because its bios cannot chk ram, no
Vcore control or parallel port.
M2A-VM has these 3 but its chipset ( AMD 690G ) is incredibly
hot, yet has no fan & the 2 *hsinks fitted are too small. I taped
4 more hsinks to *, 4 more onto 4 regulators 1 pll ic & 1 chip (
all hot ), fitted a 5cm fan below north bridge to also suck air past
south bridge, so both bridges are cooler. I thought Asus fits
adequate size hsinks. nVidia chipsets are cooler, I'll avoid AMD
chipsets.
Both models are stable though Abit's pci slots are black, I hate
this.
In 8-06, Jetway M2GT6-PTD was unstable & had design flaws.
Another model http://www.jetway.com.tw/jetway/syst...me=M2GT4%2DSOG is perfectly stable & flaw
less, when used with the same cpu + dimms + psu.+ casing + key
board + mouse. Both models' manual asked for a big PSU, I spent
M$135 to buy a big PSU, now seems unnecessary ; the small PSU
I use with Asus M2A-VM is adequate despite its chipset & Maxtor
ata133 hdd ( very hot too ) consuming too many amps.

Old August 19th 08, 03:55 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
~misfit~[_3_]

Somewhere on teh intarweb "TE Chea" typed:
[...]

"VM" on the end of an Asus mobo name means "Very Miserly" in recognition of
the fact that it's the most budget-oriented board in the range. If you want
better heatsinks buy a more expensive board. After all, a dollar only goes
so far.....
--
Shaun.

Old August 20th 08, 05:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Core2Duo

"anon aka" wrote in message
The software support for Asus motherboards is the worst in the industry. I
have used and recommended Asus for years but something has changed. They
seem to be struggling in their software support. The motherboard download
site run by bumbling idiots that can never get it right. I won't trust
Asus ever again.

Oldspook

I've told Asus about differences between their global and regional sites,
but they do not care one bit.

ie. no change in 12 months, and no response whatsoever.