What's a good new 24"+ monitor or even a TV (smart & 4K R OK)?

Old December 18th 20, 05:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default What's a good new ~24" monitor or even a TV (smart & 4K R OK)?

On 2020-12-17 3:00 p.m., Paul wrote:
Ant wrote:
What's a good new ~24" monitor or even a TV (smart and 4K are OK,
but please no Roku since their RCs are awful without numbers for
cable & OTA inputs) for mostly computers (Internet, meetings,
Office,
etc.), gaming, videos (locally and online), etc.? It will be placed
on an office desk. It also needs to have old VGA (DVI adapter if
needed) and HDMI. Composite and other old connections are OK.
Budget
isn't an issue. Anything good from Amazon, Costco, Best Buy, etc.
online and in their So. CA stores?
I'd like to buy it before this crazy year ends too.

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon.

Use the selector on Newegg and turn on the connector
mix you want. The returned list should be short.

VGA is no longer provided on video cards. This
removes the incentive to have VGA on the monitor.

Benq make a couple well equipped monitors, but
these use a TN panel. 170/160 viewing angle.

https://www.newegg.com/benq-gl2780-2...82E16824014656

This one ships from Asia, has a 178/178 screen
(could be better than TN), has VGA and HDMI, no DVI.
It's a bit on the expensive side for what you get.

https://www.newegg.com/dark-blue-gra...9SIAHSBBJ32087

You're about two years too late for a "selection".

*******

This comes pretty close. Don't know what part of China
it ships from. Maybe it actually ships from Amazon ?

"Philips 276E9QDSB 27" frameless monitor, Full HD IPS"
HDMI, DVI-D, VGA, and audio out

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-276E9.../dp/B07CLMDH3K

Paul

I have 2 of these, IPS 178-178 deg viewing angle.2 HDMI and one
VGA port
if you need it, I use HDMI on both machines, Great monitors.

https://www.amazon.ca/Asus-Designo-M...239875&sr=8-52

Rene

BTW forgot to mention, those are Canadian prices on Amazon.ca and
they
have 8 in stock, no long waits, I paid $300.00 each when I bought mine
so the price has come down some.
There are so many choices on Newegg and Amazon that it is hard to
choose. :-)

Rene

Crap. I just realized 27" is too big so I revised my title and post. As
for VGA, I still have very old PCs with VGA and DVI. :/ I might get
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VS248H-P...dp/B0058UUR6E/

which I use which work well.

Aren't curved screens annoying for doing editings and stuff?

No one use their TVs as their computer monitors to have more features
like OTA, cable, players, etc. beside computers?

Looks like a great deal port wise and price, But is it a TN or IPS
panel? I did not see that spec. I would never go back to a TN panel.

I have no idea. What's speical about them? The one I have is LED.

I tried a curved panel just for fun, Great for games but not so hot
for text.

OK, no curved screens for me again. Even in Arclight Cinema's Dome
theater in Hollywood was annoying like
cropped subtitles.

The two main differences are colour fidelity and viewing angle. TN panes
have a small viewing angle, you need to be nearly directly in front of
them or you get drastic colour shift and fading, their viewing angle is
typically 120 to 160 degrees.
An IPS panel has a viewing angle of 178 in both axis, so you can view
them nearly from the side without losing colour or contrast.
IPS panels have a much wider colour gamut and their colours are more
brilliant and true to life, Much better than TN.
Do a google search for IPS versus TN panels and you will find numerous
articles which go into it in far more detail than I can.

Rene

On my laptop, to get "sorta OK" color with TN, requires
tipping the panel at a certain angle. Which is annoying.
There's only one good position for your head, with
respect to the panel.

While my desktop display is not a Twisted Nematic and
with that one, there's basically no special angle
to be at. You just use that one.

There are many flavors of IPS and VA, to suit the patent
system. The manufacturers don't want to pay a lot of
license fees, which is why they tweak the design a bit.
And that means all the IPS ones, don't have to be exactly
the same in terms of qualities.

If you do photography, and need correct colors, the
dynamic contrast in the monitor needs to be turned off.
A monitor advertising 80000000:1 dynamic range and
1000:1 with it switched off, they modulate the backlight
in the first case, a kind of "fake dynamic range". For
photographic work, you go into the OSD and turn it off,
so the "actual, stable, raw" 1000:1 behavior of the panel
is at work, and the backlight stays at a constant level
while you work. The silly 80000000:1 thing is supposed
to be for movie playback.

Paul
Old December 18th 20, 07:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ant[_3_]

Paul wrote:
Crap. I just realized 27" is too big so I revised my title and post. As
for VGA, I still have very old PCs with VGA and DVI. :/ I might get
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VS248H-P...dp/B0058UUR6E/
which I used which work well from its older model (VS2474H).

Aren't curved screens annoying for doing editings and stuff?

No one use their TVs as their computer monitors to have more features
like OTA, cable, players, etc. beside computers?

Looks like a great deal port wise and price, But is it a TN or IPS
panel? I did not see that spec. I would never go back to a TN panel.

I have no idea. What's special about them? The one I have is LED.

It doesn't look like the old monitor has it. Mine was from the end of 2014.

[...]

Ugh!! What's VA? Is it me or do IPS have higher response rates
like 5-8 ms compared to 1-2 ms for non-IPS? Aren't those still
important today? I hated the old LCDs that showed trails. Same
for pure blackness, etc. Hence, why I preferred CRTS back then.

If you do photography, and need correct colors, the
dynamic contrast in the monitor needs to be turned off.
A monitor advertising 80000000:1 dynamic range and
1000:1 with it switched off, they modulate the backlight
in the first case, a kind of "fake dynamic range". For
photographic work, you go into the OSD and turn it off,
so the "actual, stable, raw" 1000:1 behavior of the panel
is at work, and the backlight stays at a constant level
while you work. The silly 80000000:1 thing is supposed
to be for movie playback.

I don't do graphic, photography, gaming, etc. a lot like I
used to like back in the 90 and early 2000s when I did web
designs and developments. It's mostly for viewing these
days. Heh, 2014 monitor can do 50,000,000:1 for its high
contrast. It seems fine to me. I also still use old
VGA+DVI for my over decade old PCs and their video cards
(DVI-VGA adapters) with their OmniCube KVM from Y2K (still
work!). :P

I'm still struggling to find a good display (TV/monitor) to
meet my requirements.
--
Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays / Season's Greetings!
| |o o| |
Old December 18th 20, 08:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Ant wrote:
Paul wrote:
[...]

Only the VA gets a failing grade here on ghosting.

https://www.howtogeek.com/658701/tn-...el-technology/

Paul
Old December 18th 20, 10:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ant[_3_]

Paul wrote:
Ant wrote:
Paul wrote:
[...]

Interesting old TN is best for lowest response rate. VA is the worse for it.
Old December 18th 20, 06:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rene Lamontagne

On 2020-12-18 3:05 a.m., Ant wrote:
Paul wrote:
Ant wrote:
Paul wrote:
[...]

Anything below 4 or 5 ms GtoG seems quite adequate even for gaming, My
27 inch Asus units are 5 ms GtoG and their is no trailing or ghosting.

Rene

Old December 18th 20, 06:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_41_]

Ant wrote:
What's a good new 24"+ monitor or even a TV (smart and 4K are OK, but please no Roku since their RCs are awful without numbers for cable & OTA inputs) for mostly computers (Internet, meetings, Office, etc.), gaming, videos (locally and online), etc.? It will be placed on an office desk. It also needs to have old VGA (DVI adapter if needed) and HDMI. Composite and other old connections are OK. Budget isn't an issue. Anything good from Amazon, Costco, Best Buy, etc. online and in their So. CA stores? I'd like to buy it before this crazy year ends too.

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon.

After doing quite a lot of research, I bought a Dell Ultrasharp monitor
and I have been really pleased with it (it's over 10 years old now).
I appreciate "crisp-ness"--nice sharp characters.
I see they come in more "flavors" now, with 4K being over $600.
27" one is $378 and 24" one is $158 at Amazon right now.
Read some of the reviews.
Note: These aren't really "gaming monitors" (i.e. not highly-responsive,
I think). I am not an expert, and their may be better deals out there,
but I don't think you would be disappointed if you went with this
monitor. I will likely buy it again. Best of luck with your decision!

Question for the experts: What is the significant advantage of the 4k
model (I will investigate this for myself). Seems to be 50% higher
resolution than the other comparable 27" version. I might call Dell can
see if there was a place I could view the monitors in person. They had a
temporary space in our local mall once. I'd drive 50 miles to see with
my own eyes before spending $600! : )
Old December 18th 20, 07:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Bill wrote:
Ant wrote:
[...]

Typically, 4K guinea pigs have to solve all sorts
of HiDPI situations. Maybe this is solved by now, but
in the past there were challenges for the adventurous.
Windows 10 would have HiDPI support. WinXP would not.
Applications can have HiDPI support (a modern enough
Firefox might). I would have games here that don't
have suitable textures for 4K operation.

It's bound to be a learning experience, even today.
Just not as bad as it used to be. I'm sure the very
first 4K owner, felt like a "victim".

You might also find policing of HDCP is more precise.
That's encryption on the cable, of the screen image.
This only tends to bite you, if using HDMI buffer
boxes or something. A direct computer to monitor connection
should "just work". A certain level of HDCP was cracked,
but HDCP 2.0 or 2.1 or so, is more secure. And you may
see mention of a certain HDCP level (and support)
as a requirement for some of these monitors.

Security has also extended to the video card. The
video card can have an enclave for decoding, a
section of memory that "cannot be copied". This is
to prevent copying of frame buffers to get around
HDCP. Does this prevent "Print Screen" from working ?
You got me there. No idea.

Windows 10 has removed pan and scan mode. To compare,
I can still do this on Linux. I can use a 1440x900 monitor,
set Xorg to 4096x4096 resolution, and as the mouse cursor
"bangs against" the side of the screen, the 1440x900
viewing window into the 4096x4096 surface moves its
origin. This feature also used to work on Windows, and
it was as simple as defining a custom resolution in
the NVidia control panel. If the res was larger than
the terminal, it could pan and scan as a result. Maybe
the first graphics to support this, was some SIS thing,
as someone reported doing that years ago. And I have done
a screen capture, in that higher res environment (not
that anyone cares). It's probably too large to post
to my image sharing site.

Paul
Old December 18th 20, 07:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Paul wrote:
Bill wrote:
Ant wrote:
[...]

One other thing. Make sure your video card can put out
4K resolution at 60Hz. Some of the HDMI/DP standards
don't work at full screen rate. You can do, say, 24Hz
for movie playback (should look great), but a 24Hz
setup would suck for every other purpose. Check the
Wikipedia articles on HDMI and DisplayPort, for more
info on "decent minimum spec" levels for the video card
end to be delivering.

When you buy the monitor, don't forget to buy a cable.
Some cheapskates don't put cables in the box for you.
Maybe an HDMI and no DP. Or vice versa. There are many
possibilities. At least (most of the time), there's
a power cord :-)

Paul
Old December 18th 20, 08:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_41_]

Paul wrote:

When you buy the monitor, don't forget to buy a cable.
Some cheapskates don't put cables in the box for you.
Maybe an HDMI and no DP. Or vice versa.

Since you brought it up: Is one of HDMI or DP better?

My "wild-guess" would be that DP is better since it appears
more-sophisticated. But that's not much to stand on...
Old December 18th 20, 11:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Bill wrote:
Paul wrote:

When you buy the monitor, don't forget to buy a cable.
Some cheapskates don't put cables in the box for you.
Maybe an HDMI and no DP. Or vice versa.

Since you brought it up: Is one of HDMI or DP better?

My "wild-guess" would be that DP is better since it appears
more-sophisticated. But that's not much to stand on...

DP has the edge on whizzy display size/rate.

I don't know if there is a significant difference
in cable drive on the two standards.

They tend not to spec max cable length either. I
don't know how the customer figures out what
cable is good enough.

The clock rate on the cable, is a function of resolution,
so a 1280x720 signal might go 50 feet, while an 8K
resolution might go 6 feet, on the same type of cable.
You'll see colored snow, if there is a bit error rate present.
If HDCP is running, I don't know if there is an error
multiplier effect there or not.

*******

One thing you should know, is that the video card
is kinda booby-trapped. I learned this the hard way.

You would think that the termination detection, would
make computer startup easy. Say a port has a cable and
a monitor connected. There are 100 ohm diff terminations
on each color gun. The transmitter (video card end) can
sense that a termination is present. There's no reflection
coming back, for one thing.

However, the video card firmware has other ideas. The
video card might look like this.

DVI-D
HDMI

miniDP --- Paul connects his monitor here
miniDP
miniDP
miniDP

Now the BIOS starts, and the damn screen is black.
This is what the video card is doing.

DVI-D
HDMI ----- Signal shoots out here :-/

miniDP --- Paul connects his monitor here
miniDP
miniDP
miniDP

What the video card is telling you is, "you
should have connected your monitor to HDMI, stupid".

And I thought that was pretty funny.

Now, I drew that faceplate like that on purpose.
Two connectors are "primary", and are part of the
"dual head" traditional video card design. The
four DP connectors (or miniDP) have a different
status. Yes, they're on the crossbar, yes, signal
can be routed to them, but the "dual head" part
of the picture is a bit overpowering at startup,
and the video card just loves to pamper those two.

That's why the DP gets the shaft.

I keep both DP to VGA and HDMI to VGA adapters
here, so I'm ready for this sort of thing. My
LCD monitors are ancient (and one is cheep). And
VGA is all they got.

By all means, pretend you have a choice and
everything works properly. But, you'll probably
be surprised like Paul was, when signal comes
out where it was not expected. Now that I keep
my monitor on HDMI (HDMI to VGA), no more problems.
It never jerks me around by putting the signal on
DP, when the cable is on HDMI.

Study your video card, and see if the faceplate is
making any hints about preferred ports. It never
occurred to me at the time. And a number of times,
the card managed to start and drive out on DP. But
then, when the screen goes black on you every once
in a while, it will eventually dawn on you, that
just maybe, the dual head notion wins, and the
card really doesn't want to start reliably on a
secondary port.

Paul