the inquierer posting a little news about new core

Old February 7th 05, 05:54 PM
ewan

Default the inquierer posting a little news about new core

the inquirer is running sort of a story about the next nvidia core, not
realy that much info but may be of some interst

link or you could just read below
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21129

Nvidia tight lipped about next gen core

But back with TSMC, it sems

By Fuad Abazovic in the Bosnian wilds: Monday 07 February 2005, 12:11

WE STILL DON'T know the codename of next generation Nvidia card but we
know its definitely not NV48 or NV50. Someone denied it was called the
NV47, but then again someone at Nvidia it as an option perhaps just to
confuse us. A core similar to NV50 will come later, possibly in 2006, or
at least Nvidia will use some marchitecture that it meant to use on the
NV50 closer to the Longhorn launch. Longhorn comes in 2006 but probably
later, rather than early we think.

NV50 was meant to have Shader Model 4.0, and to have full support for
Avalon and all of the other DirectX 10/Next features. As we said, Nvidia
cancelled it as it realised that it does not make any sense to launch the
core by the end of 2005 with features that could be used sometime in 2006,
after Microsoft releases Longhorn.

As for the next re-generation Nvidia chip, the company is keeping
everything so quiet as it wants to surprise us all. From what we heard,
the new chip might be made by TSMC as Nvidia is not that happy with IBM.

What we heard many times about the next gen Nvidia core is that it's going
to be an extension of existing NV40 architecture with a fixed video engine
and more pipelines. I could guess 20 to 24 pipes and of course faster
memory - whatever the fastest GDDR3 reaches by the end of the planning and
testing phase. I could say that memory might end up as a maximum of
1500MHz but that might be a fantasy number. To be honest we dont know
what else Nvidia might pack inside. We are still in the dark which
development process Nvidia plans to use for its new chip. We strongly
believe that it might be 110 or 90 nanometres but as yet, don't have any
solid indication.

Information might be out in Taiwan but only the highest ranking officers
of Nvidia partners will know what's coming. Taiwan is a very leaky place.
Nvidia is positive about its new core success but you never know what will
happen until the last minute. Maybe Nvidia got it right this time, but
maybe ATI has a better horse to run.

ATI is very positive about its R520 "Fudo" chip. Nvidia might code name
its chip Anand, Lars, David, Wil, Spode, Brandon or something else but we
still don't know that. I believe that there will be more information at
SnowBIT, a big IT show that starts on 10th in the Hangover Messe, formerly
a part of England.