Asus A8V Deluxe wireless edition help

Old February 26th 06, 03:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default Asus A8V Deluxe wireless edition help

friend of mine has an Asus A8V Deluxe With the wireless PCI card that came
with it all installed, he has no drivers for the motherboard so has no
drivers for the wireless card

he is running windows XP SP1

can anyone help me out here to get the wireless card recognized and working
in device manager because at the minute its just appearing as a network
controller

friend wont update to Service Pack 2, dont know why but he wont

so can anyone offer any help

cheers

Christo

Old February 26th 06, 07:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Christo wrote:
friend of mine has an Asus A8V Deluxe With the wireless PCI card that came
with it all installed, he has no drivers for the motherboard so has no
drivers for the wireless card

he is running windows XP SP1

can anyone help me out here to get the wireless card recognized and working
in device manager because at the minute its just appearing as a network
controller

friend wont update to Service Pack 2, dont know why but he wont

so can anyone offer any help

cheers

Christo

He can try:

http://support.asus.com/download/dow...Language=en-us

Product: *wireless* (not motherboard)

Adaptor

Model # (whatever it is for K8V DLX--difficult to glean from web
site....802.11b model?)

HTH,

BC
Old February 26th 06, 08:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

"BC" wrote in message
et...
Christo wrote:
[...]

its a 802.11g card apparantly (according to my friend) i saw him fit the
card and there are no manufacturer markings on the card

can you give me any hints as to which model to select on the website?

I have no idea

Old February 27th 06, 02:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

While I owned an A8V Deluxe, I didn't have the WiFi -g card. (I think they
weren't bundled in the US.)

However, I think this is where you wish to be:

http://support.asus.com/download/dow...Language=en-us

The "utilities" tab seems to be the right place. The 7 MB files appear to be
setup utilities for the card. I don't have the means to verify that they are
the same as on the CD distributed with the card, but I'm optimistic that
this is the right stuff.

"Christo" wrote in message

"BC" wrote in message
et...

Old February 27th 06, 04:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

In article , "Bob Knowlden"
wrote:

While I owned an A8V Deluxe, I didn't have the WiFi -g card. (I think they
weren't bundled in the US.)

However, I think this is where you wish to be:

http://support.asus.com/download/dow...Language=en-us

The "utilities" tab seems to be the right place. The 7 MB files appear to be
setup utilities for the card. I don't have the means to verify that they are
the same as on the CD distributed with the card, but I'm optimistic that
this is the right stuff.

I tried that, and I think those might be for a Marvell chipset
(have names like MRV8KA51.sys inside). I think you can physically
examine the wireless card, and see the Ralinktech MAC chip
sitting outside the shield on the RF section. Looking at the
MAC chip can help you tell whether the card is Ralinktech or
Marvell or whatever else.

I don't think much of Asus's naming scheme for their wireless
products. Or of their habit of putting the drivers in places
other than the "wireless" FTP directory.

Paul

"Christo" wrote in message

"BC" wrote in message
et...

Old February 27th 06, 07:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

In article ,
(Paul) wrote:

In article , "Christo"
wrote:

friend of mine has an Asus A8V Deluxe With the wireless PCI card that came
with it all installed, he has no drivers for the motherboard so has no
drivers for the wireless card

he is running windows XP SP1

can anyone help me out here to get the wireless card recognized and working
in device manager because at the minute its just appearing as a network
controller

friend wont update to Service Pack 2, dont know why but he wont

so can anyone offer any help

cheers

Christo

http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.co...7?dmode=source

"The WiFi card which was included with my A8V Deluxe board has the
Ralink RT2500 chipset on it,link below.

http://www.ralinktech.com/prod-4.htm
Drivers
http://www.ralinktech.com/supp-1.htm "

I tried looking on the Asus site, in places like:

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/wireless/
ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/accessory/

and the only Wifi-g I could find in there, was the Marvell chipset.
Your friend had better dig up the CD pictured here, to get the
original setup wizard.

http://www.motherboards.org/images/r.../1417_p1_7.jpg

Paul

There is a picture of the card with the A8V Deluxe he

http://www.ixbt.com/mainboard/asus/a...8t800pro.shtml
http://www.ixbt.com/cpu/amd/athlon64...ifi-g-card.jpg
http://www.ixbt.com/comm/wireless/as...130g-front.jpg

The part number on the card is WL-130G. It still looks
like a Ralinktech MAC chip. And yet the driver package here
has that Marvell stuff in it. (You can try to install it,
and see if the enumeration info matches, but I doubt it.)

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/lan/wifi-g/

The list here, claims the WL-130G is a Ralinktech:

More bread crumbs he
http://www.micro-logix.com/winpcap/C...ort.asp?ID=120

Contact Asus tech support and ask them where the Ralinktech version
of their software package is. Because right now, the only one I
see is a Marvell version (at least, the driver files look like
Marvell ones - maybe there are some Ralinktech files in there
somewhere too). And I don't think Marvell bought them. Perhaps
there were two versions of the card or something. It just
doesn't make sense.

http://www.ralinktech.com/corp.htm

Paul
Old March 3rd 06, 03:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

"Paul" wrote in message
In article ,
(Paul) wrote:

In article , "Christo"
wrote:

[...]

the pictures above are the exact card my friend has, ill download the
drivers you mentioned and have a blast with him tomorrow im going over my
girlfriends house tomorrow and its her brother who has been having the
trouble.

thanks for the help fellas

Old March 3rd 06, 03:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

"Paul" wrote in message
In article ,
(Paul) wrote:

In article , "Christo"
wrote:

[...]

ill let you know how it goes whether to marvell drivers from the asus
website work or whether the ralinktech drivers for the 11g-2500 work

thanks again