audio connector

Old April 11th 13, 03:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
bob smith

Default audio connector

Does anyone know exactly what type of connector you need to hook up a normal headphone output to the input of a PC's microphone jack?

I want to hook up an Android's audio to a PC.

I remember my friend said he got one at Radioshack back in around 1992, but there are so many different ones…

Thanks.
Old April 11th 13, 05:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

bob smith wrote:
Does anyone know exactly what type of connector you need to hook up
a normal headphone output to the input of a PC's microphone jack?

I want to hook up an Android's audio to a PC.

I remember my friend said he got one at Radioshack back in around 1992,
but there are so many different ones…

Thanks.

There's an assumption here, that the world is based on standards.
And that isn't always the case. More than one standard exists
for audio jacks. With mobile devices, space is at a premium,
which can lead to all sorts of imaginative solutions for I/O.
(Apple crap comes to mind.)

In which case, you should state the make and model number of your
device, just in case it uses some goofy adapter.

Desktop PC computers are pretty regular in their usage of 1/8"
stereo jacks. For some of my audio needs, I might use something
like this. You can get male to male, or male to female (extension)
type cords. This is a male to male.

"6-Ft. Shielded Cable, 1/8" Stereo Plug to 1/8" Stereo Plug"
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102949

But I can find plugs with smaller dimensions. This converts
the "small" plug hole, to "regular" size. You could take
your Android to the mall with you, and get the RadioShack
sales person, to line one up for you.

"3/32" Stereo Jack to 1/8" Stereo Plug Adapter"
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062474

*******

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_jack

There's a comparison picture here. My headphones, use the connector
on the right (but the headphones also have an adapter for 1/8").
You can see the other possibilities, are the 2.5mm and 3.5mm ones,
the ones covered in the previous RadioShack links. The metric
dimensions are only approximate, if you "attempt to do the math".

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...audiojacks.jpg

*******

On one of my Macintosh computers, they use a plug like this for
the Microphone. In the Wikipedia article, this one is labeled TRRS.
But the Apple version, the dimensions of the contacts (spacing) seem to be
different. What I eventually ended up doing with the Apple microphone,
is chopping this connector off the end, and putting a regular audio
connector, then adding a separate connector for +5V input from a
wall adapter. Works great (as the Apple microphone has an amp chip
inside it). And the microphone still works with the Apple that way as
well. Just needs the wall adapter, to use it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...00px-3.5mm.jpg

Some computer amplified speaker systems, also use TRRS, which
is quite annoying. But not an issue for you at the moment.

And that four contact thing, is an example of a lack of adherence to
decent standards. There's really no need of it, and it need not
have been introduced, at all. (You can do phantom stereo microphone power
on a three contact 1/8" plug, no problem at all. A fourth contact
is not needed. And the Creative speaker systems, could have used
conventional plugs as well.)

Paul
Old April 14th 13, 10:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Ian Field

"Paul" wrote in message
bob smith wrote:
[...]

In Europe we generally call the miniature audio jacks by 2.5 & 3.5mm.
Farnell have even taken to calling the 1/4" guitar lead plugs "6.3mm"