Ghost 9 Problem

Old October 29th 04, 06:53 PM
MHenry

Default Ghost 9 Problem

Finally, exhausted from recent numerous reinstallations of windows and
all programs due to corruptions caused by Windows updates, I am ready
to try Ghost.

After installation of Ghost 9.0 and Microsoft Net Framework 1.1 on my
Windows 2000 (SP3) system with a 250 GB Hard Drive in 3 NTFS
partitions of about 80GB each , Ghost resides in my taskbar in a
"Ready" state.

When I right click on the icon and select "Run Norton Ghost" I get a
window and the following error message:
"The data necessary to complete this operation is not yet available."
The icon in the task bar then declares:
"Error: [High Priority] Unable to succesfully reconcile changes since
last session. Unable to enumerate the current driives on this system.

I have unsinstalled and reinstalled Ghost and rebooted several times,
but the same error messages come up. Each time, the installation
appears to be successful and I reboot after installation.

I haven't found these particular error messages discussed in my on
line and knowledge base searches.

What could the matter be?

Is the hard drive too big?
Do I need a FAT32 partition?
Have I done or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
MHenry
Old October 29th 04, 10:19 PM
Joep

"MHenry" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know the answer to this one, but when an error says:

" "Error: [High Priority] Unable to succesfully reconcile changes since
last session. Unable to enumerate the current driives on this system."

The don't you think it's a good idea to describe all storage devices
attached to your system?

--
Joep

Old October 30th 04, 08:32 PM
Timothy Daniels

"MHenry" wrote:
[...]

Does Disk Management report the proper size for the hard
disk? How old is your PC? Have you installed ("flashed")
the latest version of its BIOS?

*TimDaniels*
Old October 31st 04, 01:54 AM
MHenry

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 12:32:36 -0700, "Timothy Daniels"
wrote:

"MHenry" wrote:

Cut...

After installation of Ghost 9.0 and Microsoft Net Framework 1.
on my Windows 2000 (SP3) system with a 250 GB Hard Drive
in 3 NTFS partitions of about 80GB each , Ghost resides in my
taskbar in a "Ready" state.

When I right click on the icon and select "Run Norton Ghost"
I get a window and the following error message:
"The data necessary to complete this operation is not yet available."
The icon in the task bar then declares:
"Error: [High Priority] Unable to succesfully reconcile changes since
last session. Unable to enumerate the current driives on this system.

Cut

Does Disk Management report the proper size for the hard
disk? How old is your PC? Have you installed ("flashed")
the latest version of its BIOS?

*TimDaniels*

Hi, Tim,

Device Manager indicates the proper hard drive.
I am not familiar with Disk Management, but I found it by right
clicking My Computer and got to Storage Management where it said all
my partitions and CD ROM drives are healthy and displays the proper
partition information, and reports the correct size for my Hard Drive.

My PC is about 2.5 years old.

When I reinstalled Windows (over and over again), I updated something
or other with my Mainboard Utility Disk. I don't know if this is the
equivalent of "flashing" my BIOS, and if it is, if the version on the
CD is the latest version.

I am in unfamiliar territory here.

What else should I try?

I notice on boot up that S.M.A.R.T is disabled.
Is that the correct setting?

Thanks,
MHenry
Old October 31st 04, 06:00 AM
MHenry

I ran Norton Disk Doctor from DOS and it reported that "The extended
partition chain on hard disk 1 is invalid. It asked me if I wanted NDD
to fix it, but I declined, because I was afraid it would delete all
the data on the disk. NDD recognizes two volumes, C and D, but I have
three partitions, C, D and E. It seems like this may be the problem
with Norton Ghost on my system.
Windows recognizes and uses all three partitions.
I don't want to mess with a working system, but I still want to make a
backup image.

Still looking for help on this.

Thanks,
MHenry

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 01:54:54 GMT, MHenry wrote:

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 12:32:36 -0700, "Timothy Daniels"
wrote:

Cut...

Old October 31st 04, 08:53 AM
Timothy Daniels

"MHenry" wrote:
Device Manager indicates the proper hard drive.
I am not familiar with Disk Management, but I found it by right
clicking My Computer and got to Storage Management where it said all
my partitions and CD ROM drives are healthy and displays the proper
partition information, and reports the correct size for my Hard Drive.

My PC is about 2.5 years old.

When I reinstalled Windows (over and over again), I updated something
or other with my Mainboard Utility Disk. I don't know if this is the
equivalent of "flashing" my BIOS, and if it is, if the version on the
CD is the latest version.

I am in unfamiliar territory here.

What else should I try?

I notice on boot up that S.M.A.R.T is disabled.
Is that the correct setting?

Leave S.M.S.R.T. disabled. It's just to report diagnostic
information about the HDs' physical health. Was .NET
Framework installed before you installed Ghost? It might
be worth uninstalling both Ghost and .NET Framework
and then re-installing .NET Framework before re-installig
Ghost.

*TimDaniels*

Old October 31st 04, 03:12 PM
Joe Morris

MHenry writes:

I ran Norton Disk Doctor from DOS and it reported that "The extended
partition chain on hard disk 1 is invalid. It asked me if I wanted NDD
to fix it, but I declined, because I was afraid it would delete all
the data on the disk. NDD recognizes two volumes, C and D, but I have
three partitions, C, D and E. It seems like this may be the problem
with Norton Ghost on my system.

Find a friend who has a copy of Powerquest's "Partition Magic" product.
(Note that Powerquest has been bought by Symantec. Also, while I've
seen PM8 on store shelves with a $60 price tag, it's routinely sold
at computer shows for $28 -- and a good buy.)

The reason I'm pointing you to someone who owns PM is that the product
includes a partition structure checker PARTINFO.EXE, which posts on
its output a statement that it can be freely shared. The output is
quite verbose (you'll want to redirect the output to a file and
then view that file with a viewer or editor) but it may explain
what's wrong with the partition chain.

Note that PARTINFO needs to be run from a DOS boot. If you don't have
one handy, check http://www.bootdisk.com for downloads.

Question: have you ever used Linux to rearrange the partition
structure on your disk? I've seen the Linux 'fidsk' program build
a partition structure in which the partition start sectors are not
in ascending order (e.g., the start sector of partition 3 might
be lower than that of partition 2); while I've never seen an
authoratative Microsoft document which requires that they be in
ascending order that's the way that the Microsoft 'fdisk' will
always create them. In production Windows may have no problems
using the out-of-order partitions, but system maintenance tools
may barf.

Joe Morris
Old October 31st 04, 04:02 PM
Eric Gisin

"Timothy Daniels" wrote in message
"MHenry" wrote:

I notice on boot up that S.M.A.R.T is disabled.
Is that the correct setting?

No, make sure it is enabled.

Leave S.M.S.R.T. disabled. It's just to report diagnostic
information about the HDs' physical health. Was .NET
Framework installed before you installed Ghost? It might
be worth uninstalling both Ghost and .NET Framework
and then re-installing .NET Framework before re-installig
Ghost.

Doesn't make a difference.

Old October 31st 04, 04:46 PM
Michael Kimmer

Joe Morris wrote:
MHenry writes:

[...]

Norton Ghost 9.0 comes with the Windows version of the PARTINFO tool (what
the OP actually needs since the problems occur in Windows). Open the SUPPORT
folder on the program CD and start the tool called PartInNT.exe (save the
output file by either clicking on the "Save As..." button or on the "Copy to
Clipboard" button and pasting the contents in e.g. Notepad).

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

Old October 31st 04, 05:40 PM
Timothy Daniels

"Eric Gisin" wrote:
"Timothy Daniels" wrote:
"MHenry" wrote:

I notice on boot up that S.M.A.R.T is disabled.
Is that the correct setting?

No, make sure it is enabled.

Why?

Leave S.M.S.R.T. disabled. It's just to report diagnostic
information about the HDs' physical health. Was .NET
Framework installed before you installed Ghost? It might
be worth uninstalling both Ghost and .NET Framework
and then re-installing .NET Framework before re-installig
Ghost.

Doesn't make a difference.

PowerQuest's Drive Image 7 guidebook clearly states:
"The latest version of the Microsoft .NET Framework must
be installed *prior* to installing and using Drive Image."

Norton's Ghost 9.0 is a rebadged Drive Image 7.

*TimDaniels*

ghost problem Dave C. Homebuilt PC's 5 August 28th 04 12:41 PM
Ghost timing Captain Norm Storage (alternative) 29 April 10th 04 03:09 AM
Norton Ghost 2003 restores entire *drive*, not just partition? mark Storage (alternative) 0 February 27th 04 11:03 AM
help with refresh problem please Michelle Ati Videocards 15 November 27th 03 03:01 AM
ghosting by TCP/IP sandy Storage (alternative) 11 November 25th 03 05:53 PM