NTFS to FAT32?

Old October 23rd 04, 05:53 AM
Anomaly

Default NTFS to FAT32?

Is there anyway to convert an NTFS partition back to FAT 32? If so, any
caveats to doing so?

Thanks!
Anom

Old October 23rd 04, 01:56 PM
Bob Willard

Anomaly wrote:
Is there anyway to convert an NTFS partition back to FAT 32? If so, any
caveats to doing so?

Thanks!
Anom

XP has no built-in way to do so, other than backing up all needed files,
then reinstalling XP, then restoring all those files.

There are non-M$ tools that can convert NTFS to FAT32. But first, you
should think seriously about why you want to switch back to a relatively
primitive filesystem.
--
Cheers, Bob
Old October 23rd 04, 05:49 PM
Anomaly

"Bob Willard" wrote in message
Anomaly wrote:
Is there anyway to convert an NTFS partition back to FAT 32? If so, any
caveats to doing so?

Thanks!
Anom

XP has no built-in way to do so, other than backing up all needed files,
then reinstalling XP, then restoring all those files.

There are non-M$ tools that can convert NTFS to FAT32. But first, you
should think seriously about why you want to switch back to a relatively
primitive filesystem.
--
Cheers, Bob

I have a small network in my home/office, 2 of which are my main machines.
On these two machines, I have several drives with multiple partitions. Some
are NTFS, some are FAT32. I hesitate to convert all to FAT32 due to DOS
inaccessibility. The partitions that I *did* convert are for Video and ghost
images. What I discovered that I don't like about NTFS for the imaging
partitions is that it limits my choice of programs to restore (and thus
write) images. I have several imaging programs, amongst them those that have
will read from NTFS drives (Acronis TI for example), but I would like to
maintain compatibility with the DOS imaging programs and really see no
reason to maintain NTFS for an imaging partition. Am I missing something in
that regard?

Thanks,

Anom

Old October 23rd 04, 07:01 PM
Anomaly

Anomaly wrote:
Is there anyway to convert an NTFS partition back to FAT 32? If so, any
caveats to doing so?

Thanks!
Anom

XP has no built-in way to do so, other than backing up all needed files,
then reinstalling XP, then restoring all those files.

There are non-M$ tools that can convert NTFS to FAT32. But first, you
should think seriously about why you want to switch back to a relatively
primitive filesystem.
--
Cheers, Bob

Another thought:

Since the partition I wish to revert back to FAT32 is not an OS partition,
is it possible to merely move the files to another partition, re-format the
partition to FAT 32 from within the Disk Management snap in and then move
all the files back?

Thanks,

Anom

Old October 23rd 04, 07:43 PM
CJT

Anomaly wrote:

[...]

I think NTFS can handle larger files than FAT. That can be important
for, e.g., video capture.

Old October 23rd 04, 07:45 PM
Arno Wagner

Anomaly wrote:
Is there anyway to convert an NTFS partition back to FAT 32? If so, any
caveats to doing so?

Thanks!
Anom

XP has no built-in way to do so, other than backing up all needed files,
then reinstalling XP, then restoring all those files.

There are non-M$ tools that can convert NTFS to FAT32. But first, you
should think seriously about why you want to switch back to a relatively
primitive filesystem.
--
Cheers, Bob

Another thought:

Since the partition I wish to revert back to FAT32 is not an OS partition,
is it possible to merely move the files to another partition, re-format the
partition to FAT 32 from within the Disk Management snap in and then move
all the files back?

I see no reason why not. The risk should be relatively small:
If you do this and it fails, you still have the files on that other
partition and can change the first one back to NTFS.

Arno

Old October 23rd 04, 08:24 PM
Peter

You will lose assigned security permissions and will probably get new SFNs
for some files. If that is not your concern, then your procedure is fine.

Old October 23rd 04, 09:56 PM
Anomaly

Anomaly wrote:

[...]

Thanks, CJT. That's the main reason I converted my video partitions to NTFS,
and imaging partitions as well, but had 2nd thoughts later regarding the
imaging partitions.due to compatibility.

Old October 23rd 04, 09:59 PM
Anomaly

"Peter" wrote in message
Ghost 8.0 can read and write images from/to NTFS while system is booted in
DOS mode.

Ghost is (was?) a great program. I had recently come to the conclusion that
I would no longer use Norton products but, believing that there was no way
Symantec could screw up Ghost, I recently upgraded to Ghost 9. I was wrong
and am awaiting my refund. I have Acronis TI7, which is pretty good and am
considering BING as well, but, paranoid that I am, I would like to keep
backward compatibility.

FAT32 & NTFS phil General 14 January 25th 05 05:08 AM
How to convert FAT32 back to NTFS? Mark Storage (alternative) 3 February 6th 04 10:32 PM
flashing bios to NTFS any diff than to FAT32 Win XP? Randyman Homebuilt PC's 6 August 7th 03 06:14 AM
Get message "Remove disks or other media" since converting from NTFS to FAT32 Paul Hill General 1 July 6th 03 02:03 PM
File System Conversion from NTFS to back to FAT32 Optonline Overclocking AMD Processors 0 June 23rd 03 01:19 PM