Momentary In Game Freezing

Old December 12th 03, 09:04 PM
Phrederick

Default Momentary In Game Freezing

Spyware, virus, some other process running in the background...

Sound drivers?

"Frank Jaerschky" wrote in message
I have a Radeon 9500 Pro that has been working flawlessly for the past 9
months or so. A few days ago, I started to sporadic momentary freezing of

up
to 1 second in duration when I'm playing games in Direct3D or open GL. I
have tried reinstalling the lates 3.9 drivers and the Omega drivers, too.

have tried reverting back to 3.8 drivers as well. I have also tried
re-installing DirectX 9b, and the latest VIA 4 in 1 drivers. Any ideas as

what could be causing this problem? Could the card be overheating? I

haven't
checked to see if the card's fan is still spinning, but tht's my next

step.
Maybe overheating? I just find it's strange that this would start suddenly
when I have made absolutely no changes or installed any new software.
System is an Athlon 2400XP, 512MB SDRAM, MSI K7T Turbo 2 M/B, and Windows

XP
Home Edition.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Old December 12th 03, 09:48 PM
Frank Jaerschky

Spyware would be the only thing that I could think of. Norton AV reports no
viruses. I'm using the onboard sound, which has caused no problems so far.

Old December 12th 03, 10:17 PM
youth

"Frank Jaerschky" wrote in message
I have a Radeon 9500 Pro that has been working flawlessly for the past 9
months or so. A few days ago, I started to sporadic momentary freezing of up
to 1 second in duration when I'm playing games in Direct3D or open GL.

I have a PVR Kyro card that did this before . The problem was a broken fan that
led to overheating. I bet yours isn't spinning anymore.

g'day
youth

Old December 12th 03, 10:17 PM
Jim

For the spyware , get AdAware 6.0 its free and easy to used. Check the
DMA options for your drives.

Old December 12th 03, 10:28 PM
Strontium

Also a good idea to run Spybot Search and Destroy. Each one
(Spybot/Adaware) seems to catch things that the other doesn't, every once in
a while.

-
Jim stood up at show-n-tell, in c8rCb.516875$HS4.3992867@attbi_s01, and
said:

For the spyware , get AdAware 6.0 its free and easy to used.
Check the DMA options for your drives.

"Frank Jaerschky" wrote in message
Spyware would be the only thing that I could think of. Norton AV
reports no viruses. I'm using the onboard sound, which has caused no
problems so far.

"Phrederick" wrote in message
Spyware, virus, some other process running in the background...

Sound drivers?

"Frank Jaerschky" wrote in message
I have a Radeon 9500 Pro that has been working flawlessly for the
past 9 months or so. A few days ago, I started to sporadic
momentary freezing of up to 1 second in duration when I'm playing
games in Direct3D or open GL. I have tried reinstalling the lates
3.9 drivers and the Omega drivers, too. I have tried reverting
back to 3.8 drivers as well. I have also tried re-installing
DirectX 9b, and the latest VIA 4 in 1 drivers. Any ideas as to

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old December 12th 03, 11:23 PM
rms

Also, raise your AGP voltage one notch. This often helps stability problems
like this.

rms

Old December 13th 03, 03:32 PM
Phoenix AG

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 21:34:37 -0500, "Frank Jaerschky"
wrote:

I tried all the above suggestions, but no help. (Although I did find an
amazing amount of spyware that I didn't know about!) I'll give the fan a
check tommorrow.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

It could also be a driver issue. I noticed this problem when I went
from the 3.9s to 3.7 (to check for something completely different). I
noticed that the 3.7s were giving me momentary freezes in games. They
were always at the same time intervals.
So I went back to the 3.9s and everything was perfectly OK!

I see you have already tried 3.8 and 3.9 (which are quite similar). I
suggest giving the 3.7s a try, it can't hurt. Oh, make sure you
uninstall the 3.9 ones before installing 3.7.

***
....the Phoenix shall rise...

GA-8PENXP and Game Port header Tim_S Gigabyte Motherboards 1 January 1st 05 10:03 PM
Game Freezing Ata®uMo®oboshi General 6 October 2nd 04 10:08 PM
CATALYST™ Release Notes Version 3.8 Pluvious Ati Videocards 17 October 12th 03 03:40 PM
9800 game freezes: temperature related? Gerald Moore Ati Videocards 4 September 24th 03 04:19 PM