ATI 9600TX in Aldi Medion PC - s-video problem

Old June 29th 03, 04:39 PM
Alan Shepherd

Default ATI 9600TX in Aldi Medion PC - s-video problem

Have you tried the composite, or S-Video ports on the ront of the case,
these by-pass the TV Tuner module, even though I have the same PC, I get a
near perfect picture.

BTW Have Medion released any new Video Drivers for the 9600tx? I've looked
but cannot find any.

"Dom Robinson" wrote in message
om...
(just squeezing my original post in here even though it's not properly
indented)
"Dom Robinson" wrote in message
After waiting six weeks for Aldi to get these back in, I finally got my
reserved PC last Tuesday.

For the most part it's a cracking PC with P4 2.6Ghz, 512Mb RAM, Win XP

and a
128Mb ATI 9600TX graphics card.

However, it's on the s-video output of the card that I'm having

problems.
When viewing on the TV, I'm getting RF interference (I think that's the

type
of interference that it is) that's make the picture look worse good as
watching Channel 5 on analogue.

I'm always getting horizontal lines rolling either up or down the

screen.
There's about 12 all equidistant from each other, and it's like they go

down
for a while then start shuddering upwards again.

Occasionally (well, about 50% of the time) there's diagonal lines much

closer
together scrolling across the screen.

This problem occurs whether I run the output straight to the TV or via

my
Sony STR-DB930 amp. I've tried swapping the s-video cables over and even
trying the same on my old PC which is hooked up on the other side of the

room
(until I can find out how to open the new PC and move the broadband

modem
across, so I'm running both on the network as I type). The image looks

fine
on the old PC, but pants on the new one.

Just a shame that everything else about the PC is fine (well, the sound
recording program's a bit iffy but that's minor) but I view the PC

screen on
the TV a fair bit if playing games or watching films

(and one thing I miss about the new PC is that with the old one I had a
separate Dxr2 DVD-ROM card for playing the films to the TV. Haven't

tried a
DVD on the PC yet while watching it on the TV screen as I haven't got

round
to that yet, but I digress)

I'm wondering if it's anything to do with the TV tuner card inside the

new
PC? I was wondering also if it was anything to do with the other PC

being in
the same room and switched on, but surely it can't be outputting that

much
interference?

TIA,
--

Dom Robinson

Charles... wrote:
what i do know is that it was fitted with the more capable 9500 pro
chip instead of the 9600 due to contract deadlines... read here,
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/d...328095442.html

I have been told in a response that the cards recently released
benchmarks show that its just a higher clocked 9500 pro but I cannot
find verification of this out there on the net about its benchmarks
neither...

So, does anyone know the reason for the interference problems? I've
recently added my ADSL Speedtouch modem into the PC and got that
working fine, but the interference is still the same. Obviously parts
inside a PC are going to cause some kind of RF interference (and I've
unplugged the monitor and phone which are nearest to the PC to see if
that had an effect - it didn't), so it's clear that the ATI 9600TX is
poorly shielded.

Would swapping the 9600TX for another card of the same make help, or
will it only be solved by a different card (whether it's a 9500, 9700,
or a non-ATI card altogether)?

Medion haven't been exactly helpful with this problem so far, other
than to get me to download a 68Mb driver upgrade which I was going to
install but was all in German so I didn't, and I knew that wouldn't
solve an RF interference problem anyway. This is clearly a hardware
defect, not software.

The last reply I had was from a Gareth Williams at Medion who claimed
it was my ADSL modem that was at fault (because he'd had similar
problems). This was before my ADSL modem was even inside the PC! I had
the new PC networked to my old PC and had tried disconnecting the
ethernet cable and switching the old PC off, to no effect whatsoever.

All they then say is that if the problem is still not resolved, to
call their helpline. Well, if they can't help by email how can they
help by phone? They can tell me exactly the same thing without
charging me national rate. Yes, it takes longer to get a response by
email but that's why I want to determine whether this problem will be
resolved with another 9600TX or a different video card altogether.

The ATI Radeon 8500LE 64Mb in my old PC had no such problems (other
than its ****ty fan, but that's another thread)

TIA,

Dom Robinson
Editor, DVDfever.co.uk

Old June 29th 03, 05:10 PM
Dom Robinson

In article ,
says...

Charles... wrote:
[...]

I tried the composite out on the back but got absolutely nothing out of it. No
idea what's wrong with that.

Tried the s-video on the front, but then realised it's an input so wouldn't
output anything anyway, and besides I don't want a cable permanently hanging
out from the front of my PC when it shouldn't have to.

Please confirm you've got exactly the same PC (Medion Titanium MD8008) which
was £799 at Aldi, and if your TV output is fine with no interference then it's
clear I've got a dicky graphics card with poor shielding and I'll ask them for
a replacement. Ta.

BTW Have Medion released any new Video Drivers for the 9600tx? I've looked
but cannot find any.

I was given a link to their site which I think had an individual ID in it
(very long URL, so if it's specific to me I won't post it here) but it's a
68Mb file and once I'd downloaded it all the instructions were in German so I
didn't install it.
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/* http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor)
Old June 29th 03, 05:50 PM
Alan Shepherd

There goes me not reading the post properly, I've never "actually" tried the
TV-Out on the PC, I've tried to the TV-In and tuner quite a lot, and am
happy with them.

Sorry for the waste of time.

BTW I have the Medion Aldi PC £799, but it's model is PC MT6 ?? Pioneer A105
DVD-R + Sony DVD-Rom, Medion Radeon 9600tx & P4 2.6 on a MSI Sis Chipset
motherboard with Phillips TV Tuner Capture/ Radio card, It's also got a
stack of Flash RAM Slots on the front too.

Old June 29th 03, 07:00 PM
Dom Robinson

In article ,
says...
[...]

I have no probs with using the PC with a monitor, although as I mentioned in
another thread somewhere I hit upon a bizarre apparently keyboard shortcut
that switched the monitor output off. Did this twice on the same day and
hasn't done it since.

Luckily, as I have the PC connected to a TV I was able to use that to navigate
the display controls and switch the monitor display back on, but without that
I'd have been seriously ****ed. It was like being in the dark totally. Even
rebooting didn't help - it showed the usual PC loading up on the monitor but
once it got to the Windows screen that was all in the dark!

BTW I have the Medion Aldi PC £799, but it's model is PC MT6 ?? Pioneer A105
DVD-R + Sony DVD-Rom, Medion Radeon 9600tx & P4 2.6 on a MSI Sis Chipset
motherboard with Phillips TV Tuner Capture/ Radio card, It's also got a
stack of Flash RAM Slots on the front too.

Can you try an s-video lead to the TV please? It'd really help me determine
whether it's happening to anyone apart from me, and do you also use an ATI
Radeon 9600TX in the PC?

There must be someone else with this PC, surely, who's hooked it up to a TV?
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/*
Old June 30th 03, 10:27 AM
Alan Shepherd

[...]

While I normally have not connected my PC to a TV I did once or twice, and
found the TV out to be of good quality, BUT the default TV Out format is
NTSC, as always. And unless your TV supports 60Hz NTSC you have to use a PC
monitor to change it over, hope this piece of a advice helps.

NB: It required a re-boot to change from NTSC to Pal.....

Old July 2nd 03, 01:13 AM
Dom Robinson

In article ,
says...

"Dom Robinson" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
While I normally have not connected my PC to a TV I did once or twice,

and
found the TV out to be of good quality, BUT the default TV Out format is
NTSC, as always. And unless your TV supports 60Hz NTSC you have to use a

PC
monitor to change it over, hope this piece of a advice helps.

NB: It required a re-boot to change from NTSC to Pal.....

I had mine set to PAL I already.

I presume you didn't have the Channel 5-style RF interference all over

your
picture when you got it onscreen?

No it just worked fine, I plugged the PC into a TV from a monitor setup
running at 1152 x 864 (my preferred res on a 19" Monitor) and without the
VGA plugged in it worked fine without changing the display settings, BUT
that was a NTSC/ Pal dual fomat TV, I later changed it to Pal S-Video,
better picture quality, Pal is far sharper than NTSC every day.

Must be a duff video card then. As I mentioned the composite output isn't
working either (unless it's somehow switched off and I haven't figured out how
to switch it on in the settings).

I've heard back from Medion suggesting I ring them up to book an appointment
for an engineer to change the video card over. I've asked if they can send it
to me to switch over and then I'll send back the duff one. Not only would this
save them a callout, but it'd save me having to take a day off work just for
the sake of swapping a card over that I could do myself (plus I'd have to have
a tidy up)

More news as it happens
--

Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/*
http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor)
/* 931 DVDs, 254 games, 33 videos, 63 cinema films, 69 CDs, laserdiscs & news
/* soldier of fortune 2, kangaroo jack, 24, 8 DVD comps, midtown 3, moto gp 2
Old July 9th 03, 11:08 PM
Dom Robinson

[...]

Today I got a reply from Maplin asking if they sold shielded s-video
cables. They did. It was £25. I bought it and plugged it in, direct
from the PC to the TV. It made no difference whatsoever.

Just what the hell kind of interference is this and where's it coming
from?!

Looks like I'm going to have to book an appointment for someone to
come round and swap the card over, as they won't send a new one out
without me sending the apparently-duff one back first (how the hell am
I supposed to read emails from them without it? I still have the ATI
Radeon 8500LE 64Mb from my old PC but I'd rather not confuse the new
PC by sticking an older card in as that's just going to cause problems
instantly.)

If anyone can make any suggestions as to what it might be, please tell
me. TIA.

Dom Robinson
Editor, DVDfever.co.uk
Old July 19th 03, 11:38 AM
simonratcliffe

i have the same computer and am about to go out and buy an svideo lead
and hook it up to my widescreen tv

let you know how it works out

simonratcliffe