GA-8KNXP, how to configure BIOS for SATA?

Old September 19th 03, 10:58 PM
John Ward

Default GA-8KNXP, how to configure BIOS for SATA?

I have two Seagate 160GB SATA HDDs in RAID-0 config on the same board.
First drive is mapped to SATA Port 0 and the second one is mapped to SATA
Port 1 (that's on the ICH5R Intel Chipset, not the Silicon Chipset). I'm
not in the BIOS right now but there is an option to I believe under
something like "SCSI Boot Order" to set to boot from the ICH5R. I have the
Silicon Chipset disabled as I'm not using it. I had to install the RAID
driver from floppy during XP installation (hit F6 when prompted to install
SCSI drivers). Since then I have upgraded the RAID driver and the BIOS to
version F6, in that order (as per instructions on Gigabyte's website).

I know this isn't quite the same setup as your's, but hopefully something
here will click and help you with your setup. Also see the newsgroup
articles with the subject of "8KNXP w SATA for boot and SATA- Raid" which
you can find in this newsgroup.

Hope this helps!

--
John Ward
www.CompletePhoneService.com

"Orhan" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I have a Maxtor 120GB SATA HDD and GA-8KNXP motherboard. I configured
SATA Port0 as IDE Pri. Master in BIOS, because I couldn't install XP
when remapped this to SATA0 (XP installer can't find my HDD).
How can I use my HDD as a SATA drive and not as PATA (DMA100)-without
crashing my system- ? I run a dual boot system (98SE+XP) and it works
fine except that SATA problem.
There is no SATA option available under Boot Order in BIOS (anyhow
disappeared!)
I am not sure,which connector did I connect my SATA drive to. But I
think, to SATA0-SB. Is there any difference?
Gigabyte Technical Support says I should upgrade my F5 BIOS to F6.
Would that be a solution for me? In User's Manual of GA-8KNXP I read
that this port must be remapped to SATA0 when running XP or later OS
only. What if dual booting? And why didn't XP find my SATA HDD?
What is the right setting for BIOS?
I would be grateful for any helps.

Orhan

Old September 20th 03, 05:17 PM
Orhan

"Orhan" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you for prompt answer. But there is one point that I still didn't understand:
Can I configure SATA0 connector as SATA0 IF I INSTALL WINDOWS 98SE?

Thanks again.

Orhan
Old September 21st 03, 02:10 AM
Tim

So, if SATA0_SB is Pri Master, you will no doubt not see IDE1.
If SATA0_SB is configured as SATA0, then your disc is not recognised.

The onchip SATA controller works best if it is configured as RAID even if
you do not have a RAID config.
Unlike the ITE / Gigabyte controller which is absolutely stupid the Intel
one is smart enought to see and run with ordinary non raid discs. You should
install the intel RAID drivers under XP in this config.

IE when the intel SATA controller is configured as RAID you can boot of it,
if it is not, it has to be set to IDEx to boot and that removes the real
IDEx from your machine.

Clear?

BTW: when you look at the mobo in a tower case with the PCI's on the left,
CPU towards the top, the SATA0_SB connector is the 'top right' one.

- Tim

Old September 21st 03, 07:34 AM
Udo Kammer

Thank you for prompt answer. But there is one point that I still didn't understand:
Can I configure SATA0 connector as SATA0 IF I INSTALL WINDOWS 98SE?

No. You have use Windows XP. If using 98SE, you must remap the S-ATA
to IDE as shown in the boards BIOS.

Udo.
Old September 21st 03, 06:37 PM
Orhan

Udo Kammer wrote in message ...
Thank you for prompt answer. But there is one point that I still didn't understand:
Can I configure SATA0 connector as SATA0 IF I INSTALL WINDOWS 98SE?

No. You have use Windows XP. If using 98SE, you must remap the S-ATA
to IDE as shown in the boards BIOS.

Udo.

Thank you, Udo. I think that's the answer.
Thanks to all.

Orhan
Old September 22nd 03, 09:22 PM
Taliska

IE when the intel SATA controller is configured as RAID you can boot of
it,
if it is not, it has to be set to IDEx to boot and that removes the real
IDEx from your machine.

Nope, nope....

Set the SATA to Manual and enable it - don't set it up as a RAID. You can
then boot off it as a SATA drive and still have all your IDE's available. If
you can't set the boot order 'cos you can't see it, then enable all RAID
controllers.

Taliska

Old September 23rd 03, 08:46 AM
Tim

I went around this issue tons of times before I got it to work.
The *only* way it works on *this* mobo is with the Intel SATA as RAID - even
though I am not using raid. This is completely contrary to what you are
saying, to what I was expecting, and how other SATA / PATA RAID controllers
work. With the Intel SATA as IDE, the standard IDE1 and 2 disappear!!!!!!!!
This had me absolutely miffed for weeks 'cos it meant I had not choice but
to use that horrid ITE device as an IDE device, which in turn elongated my
boot times by 22 or so seconds.

I am more than happy to be proven wrong, but would suspect something else
has been fixed first (EG m/b revision, bios).
I use F6 bios.

- Tim

Old September 24th 03, 02:34 AM
Tim

Orhan,

Sorry for getting off on the wrong track.

You may be out of luck as the Gigabyte web site at:
http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard...r_GA-8KNXP.htm
lists the ICH5 RAID drivers as being for NT upwards only. No mention of
Win9x althought there is under the Intel Chipset drivers. Perhaps try the
list from this web page and *hope* that the correct driver combination is
installed under Win9x.

F6 bios does seem to have sorted a lot of issues. If you change the SATA
controller to RAID and then don't see it on the Boot Order list, then save
bios, shutdown, power off / wait / power on and go back in and check. This
bios (F5 and F6) has a horrid time with the the boot order menu.

For me to get this to work, I have the SATA RAID drivers installed under XP
& they are working even though the SATA disc is by itself and not RAID. The
Intel Raid manager app even works and tells me I have 'No RAID Volumes' but
with 1 "Non-RAID Disc". This is for Intel Application Accelerator RAID
edition v 3.0.0.2246 downloaded from Gigabyte page above.

If you can boot off the SATA drive in IDE config, then install the Intel
drivers then under Win98 - ensure you have the latest matching set of
drivers and F6 bios. Make sure you have the same driver versions also
installed in 2K before changing the SATA controller from IDE to RAID. It
does not matter if the drivers report or come up not working, the important
thing for W2K is that they are installed & ready to use if needed which they
will if you boot under RAID.

Then try configuring the SATA controller as RAID on Auto (IE not IDE), and
boot into Win2k / Win98.
For Multi boot to work, Win98 has to be installed first, then W2K. If not in
this order then you will need to 'patch it up' and that is an entirely
different issue.

Let us know how you get on. Does it boot when Raid under W2K? Do you get the
boot Menu?

- Tim

om...

Old September 24th 03, 07:36 PM
Orhan

Hi Tim,

First I am sorry for my limited English.

Thanks for your help. But I can’t dare it now what you told me.

Here what I did:
I installed 98SE two times. It did boot. (On chip SATA manual, as SATA
port0 configured, SATA RAID function enabled, H/W SATA enabled, Serial
ATA as BASE, all others default in F5 BIOS.) At this point I
couldn’t find my SATA HDD in device manager under 98SE. When
attempting to install the motherboard drivers (Quick install, all
drivers checked because I was inexperienced), the install progress
crashed, exactly there, where a part of USB drivers was being
installed. By the way my Gigabyte CD is an older version (1.1) and
there are no USB2 drivers supporting ICH5R. I didn’t know it.
And of course Intel RAID driver was not installed. Which one was the
cause of that crash, I don’t know. At the third attempt after
formatting I couldn’t boot anymore.
I formatted partition C again. This time I attempted to install XP on
D (not Win2K, Tim). I know the cause now why the setup couldn’t
find my SATA HDD. (F6 method!!)

I changed SATA Port0 to IDE Pri. Master and installed first 98SE on C
, second XP on D. SATA RAID disabled,Serial Ata function as RAID, all
others default. This time I installed all drivers step by step except
Intel Raid driver (not on CD) and USB2 drivers. I’ll do it
later, if available. Two OS’s work fine. According to SiSoft
Sandra 2002 I have much better performance than a RAID0 system with
two HDD’s (DMA100, 7200rpm, 80GB). I have a Maxtor SATA
120GB/7200 rpm. There is an unknown device in device manager both
under 98SE and XP. I don’t know if it’s USB2 driver or
Intel Raid Controller.

In BIOS: SCSI/RAID Cntlr Boot Order 1- Silicon Image RAID Controller
2- ITE RAID Controller
3- Intel ATA Controller

Meanwhile I contacted Gigabyte Technical Support and they said that
SATA Port0 configuration has no support for Windows 98SE at the
moment.

Thanks again.

"Tim" wrote in message ...
[...]

om...