PC CPU companies

Old August 28th 06, 12:26 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Grant Schoep

Default PC CPU companies

I can't beleive I can't remeber this right now... so I'll ask. I remeber
building a bunch(about 10) computers for my old college computer lab back
in 1998. We really had no money, like a hardware budget of 1500 a year or
some crap.

Our little old 286 and a few "big" 486dx33s workstations were really
outdated. I figured out a good upgrade. But I can't remeber the company
that made the CPU, and its driving me nuts....

So this was the orig. Pentium days, I had decided on buying 10 FIC-2007 AP
motherboards, had great reviews at that time. Still have one, minus the
CPU, in my garage somewhere.

I opted for a ??? CPU, it wasn't Cyrix, Intel, or AMD. It was 200mhz... I
think it was another acronym name, like Ixx, where x is some letter, I
think there was an I in there anyways...

Urg... anyways, back in spring time 1998, I remeber this was supposed to be
a decent CPU for the price. Heck, I think I bought it off of
realworldtech.com. Dean, you still post on here?

Anyways, just wondering if people remeber some of the CPU company's from
that time... it would be interesting to see a "history of CPU manufacters"
article somewhere,
Old August 28th 06, 01:58 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
The little lost angel

On 27 Aug 2006 23:26:29 GMT, Grant Schoep
wrote:

I opted for a ??? CPU, it wasn't Cyrix, Intel, or AMD. It was 200mhz... I
think it was another acronym name, like Ixx, where x is some letter, I
think there was an I in there anyways...

That should be the Centaur IDT Winchip. Since you bought it from Dean,
you could try www.realworldtech.com or something.

--
A Lost Angel, fallen from heaven
Lost in dreams, Lost in aspirations,
Old August 28th 06, 03:11 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
krw

In article , a?n?g?e?
says...
wrote:

I opted for a ??? CPU, it wasn't Cyrix, Intel, or AMD. It was 200mhz... I
think it was another acronym name, like Ixx, where x is some letter, I
think there was an I in there anyways...

That should be the Centaur IDT Winchip. Since you bought it from Dean,
you could try
www.realworldtech.com or something.

Not likely a Centaur from that time. The 'xx' in 'Ixx' could be
'BM' though. ;-)

--
Keith
Old August 28th 06, 05:52 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
George Macdonald

wrote:

I can't beleive I can't remeber this right now... so I'll ask. I remeber
building a bunch(about 10) computers for my old college computer lab back
in 1998. We really had no money, like a hardware budget of 1500 a year or
some crap.

Our little old 286 and a few "big" 486dx33s workstations were really
outdated. I figured out a good upgrade. But I can't remeber the company
that made the CPU, and its driving me nuts....

So this was the orig. Pentium days, I had decided on buying 10 FIC-2007 AP
motherboards, had great reviews at that time. Still have one, minus the
CPU, in my garage somewhere.

I opted for a ??? CPU, it wasn't Cyrix, Intel, or AMD. It was 200mhz... I
think it was another acronym name, like Ixx, where x is some letter, I
think there was an I in there anyways...

IDT Winchip C6?

Urg... anyways, back in spring time 1998, I remeber this was supposed to be
a decent CPU for the price. Heck, I think I bought it off of
realworldtech.com. Dean, you still post on here?

Anyways, just wondering if people remeber some of the CPU company's from
that time... it would be interesting to see a "history of CPU manufacters"
article somewhere,

I'm sure Google will turn up such an article.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
Old August 28th 06, 07:26 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Tony Hill

wrote:

I can't beleive I can't remeber this right now... so I'll ask. I remeber
building a bunch(about 10) computers for my old college computer lab back
in 1998. We really had no money, like a hardware budget of 1500 a year or
some crap.

Our little old 286 and a few "big" 486dx33s workstations were really
outdated. I figured out a good upgrade. But I can't remeber the company
that made the CPU, and its driving me nuts....

So this was the orig. Pentium days, I had decided on buying 10 FIC-2007 AP
motherboards, had great reviews at that time. Still have one, minus the
CPU, in my garage somewhere.

I opted for a ??? CPU, it wasn't Cyrix, Intel, or AMD. It was 200mhz... I
think it was another acronym name, like Ixx, where x is some letter, I
think there was an I in there anyways...

Definitely sounds like an IDT Winchip. The very first ones started
showing up in early '98 and ran at 200MHz. Not an entirely bad chip,
performance wasn't much to get excited about, but they were cheap and
made for a nice little upgrade on some older systems that couldn't
handle a newer Intel, AMD or Cyrix chip.

FWIW IDT sold off the Centaur division that made these chips to VIA.
VIA still makes and sells the follow-up revisions to this chip. Still
not much in the way of performance, but they are dirt-cheap and
consume very little power. They show up mainly in set-top boxes these
days. For the latest and greatest of these chips, see:

http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/processors/

Urg... anyways, back in spring time 1998, I remeber this was supposed to be
a decent CPU for the price. Heck, I think I bought it off of
realworldtech.com. Dean, you still post on here?

Anyways, just wondering if people remeber some of the CPU company's from
that time... it would be interesting to see a "history of CPU manufacters"
article somewhere,

There is a fair bit of info at:

www.sandpile.org

Not much in the way of explanations of what happened, but it lists all
kinds of specs and info about processors for the past 10 years or so.

-------------
Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca
Old August 28th 06, 08:37 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
[email protected]

Grant Schoep wrote:
[...]

My First "Real" Computer was a 486 Years ago... before that was the
TRS-80 Model III ...But anyone who remembers that computer had a
monochrome screen, no HD , No sound to speak of and Windows. There is
a computer museum site online which may have what your looking for.

Old August 28th 06, 06:22 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Grant Schoep

I opted for a ??? CPU, it wasn't Cyrix, Intel, or AMD. It was
200mhz... I think it was another acronym name, like Ixx, where x is
some letter, I think there was an I in there anyways...

IDT Winchip C6?

Thats it. I remember it being decent, but cost was great. I think they
were like 60 USD for the 200mhz, at the time I think the Pentium 200 was
around 150 USD an performed about the same.