Cat 6.8 out - also new Linux driver

Old August 19th 06, 02:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Tony DiMarzio

Default Cat 6.8 out - also new Linux driver

Cat 6.8 is out. Supposedly major OpenGL optimizations resulting in
appreciable % gains. Driver and CCC Bug fixes as usual also.

Gonna try both WinXP and Linux now.

--
Tony DiMarzio

Old August 19th 06, 11:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Gingangooli

"Tony DiMarzio" wrote in message
Cat 6.8 is out. Supposedly major OpenGL optimizations resulting in
appreciable % gains. Driver and CCC Bug fixes as usual also.

Gonna try both WinXP and Linux now.

--
Tony DiMarzio

Weird !!! Just installed the 6.8 and it still says its 6.7 in the CCC.

....and yes I did a clean uninstall of my previous drivers and CCC (which
were 6.3) and cleaned the registry before installing.

Old August 19th 06, 11:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Man-wai Chang

Tony DiMarzio wrote:
Cat 6.8 is out. Supposedly major OpenGL optimizations resulting in
appreciable % gains. Driver and CCC Bug fixes as usual also.

But how any games are still using OpenGL, other than Half-life?

--
.~. Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY. http://www.linux-sxs.org
/( _ )\ (Ubuntu 6.06) Linux 2.6.17.8
Old August 19th 06, 11:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Man-wai Chang

Default Cat 6.8 out - What about Linux?

--
.~. Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY. http://www.linux-sxs.org
/( _ )\ (Ubuntu 6.06) Linux 2.6.17.8
^ ^ 18:45:02 up 11 days 23:41 0 users load average: 1.01 1.04 1.01
news://news.3home.net news://news.hkpcug.org news://news.newsgroup.com.hk
Old August 19th 06, 01:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Altea

Yes my CCC says 6.7 as well and i defo did a clean install. The
drivers show the correct file version. Just The Catalysty ver is stil
6.7 althou it should be 6.8 in this release.

Incidently i ran 3d mark06 before and after

Ati 6.6 = 6174

Ati 6.8 = 5925

nothing else changed on my system, and i get a huyge 3d score drop,
anyone any similiar experiences?

Old August 19th 06, 02:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
JT

"Man-wai Chang" wrote in message
Tony DiMarzio wrote:
Cat 6.8 is out. Supposedly major OpenGL optimizations resulting in
appreciable % gains. Driver and CCC Bug fixes as usual also.

But how any games are still using OpenGL, other than Half-life?

Any Doom3 engine based game. Quake 4 and Prey come to mind. Besides HL and
HL2, the new SIN game and its episodes.

Old August 19th 06, 03:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Tony DiMarzio

Tony DiMarzio wrote:
Cat 6.8 is out. Supposedly major OpenGL optimizations resulting in
appreciable % gains. Driver and CCC Bug fixes as usual also.

But how any games are still using OpenGL, other than Half-life?

Any Doom3 engine based game. Quake 4 and Prey come to mind. Besides HL
and HL2, the new SIN game and its episodes.

Uh.... guys.... The original HL was OpenGL. Then a Direct3D renderer was
added a few dot revisions in. That was in 2000, 2001-ish. All of the new
Valve products are based on the Source engine which is strictly Direct3D.
These include:

HL2
SiN Episodes
CounterStrike: Source
Day of Defeat: Source
Also, the original Half-Life has been ported to Source.

OpenGL = Doom3, Quake4, Prey... all based on the **** Doom3 engine,
Chronicles of Riddick (which of course you could play with a 9700 no problem
at this point) and a few others. OpenGL is basically dead. Only Carmack's
ideologies are left.

However, it is still nice to see OpenGL performance increases for free
because this is a major arguing point for video card reviewers and NVidia
fans.

Tony

Old August 19th 06, 03:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Tony DiMarzio

"Gingangooli" wrote in message

"Tony DiMarzio" wrote in message
Cat 6.8 is out. Supposedly major OpenGL optimizations resulting in
appreciable % gains. Driver and CCC Bug fixes as usual also.

Gonna try both WinXP and Linux now.

--
Tony DiMarzio

Weird !!! Just installed the 6.8 and it still says its 6.7 in the CCC.

...and yes I did a clean uninstall of my previous drivers and CCC (which
were 6.3) and cleaned the registry before installing.

Mine said 6.7 as well... it's a bug. I manually changed it in the registry.
Search and replace 06.7 with 06.8

Tony