Radeon 9800 & Windows NT 4.0

Old July 29th 06, 02:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Andrew Aronoff

Default Radeon 9800 & Windows NT 4.0

I have a multi-boot system and have Windows NT 4.0 SP6a installed on
one of the partitions. I'm planning to upgrade my video card to a
model compatible with Vista Aero and am considering the Radeon 9800.
ATI's support of NT 4.0 is a bit fuzzy around the edges. (OTOH,
NVIDIA's support is clear.) The ATI web site's "Download & Software"
menu contains a "Windows NT" link that leads to the following driver:
Windows NT 4.0 Display Driver build 4.3.4013 7.70-020418M-003815C

That driver claims support for the following Radeon models:
ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON
RADEON 8500
RADEON 7500
RADEON 7200
RADEON 7000
RADEON 64MB DDR
RADEON 32MB DDR
RADEON 32MB (SDR)
RADEON VE

The Release Notes, displayed via the link at the bottom of the page,
contains the following information:

A) SUPPORTED ATI PRODUCTS

The display driver included in this package is for Microsoft Windows NT4.
This driver may be used with ATI products based on the RADEON

This suggests that the driver will work with _all_ Radeon models.
Googling for info about the Radeon 9800 and Windows NT 4.0 came up
empty.

Does anyone know first-hand if an ATI driver is available for the
Radeon 9800 under Windows NT 4.0 Workstation SP6a?

I don't need the most recent driver package. I don't need multiscreen
capability. I just need to be able to boot into the O/S and run at
1024 x 768, 32 bpp.

regards, Andy
--
**********

Please send e-mail to: usenet (dot) post (at) aaronoff (dot) com

To identify everything that starts up with Windows, download
"Silent Runners.vbs" at www.silentrunners.org

**********
Old July 31st 06, 02:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One

The driver you found was released in May, 2002, well over a year before the
first 9800 rolled off the production lines. NT4 and 9800 simply don't mix.

There is, however, an NT4 driver for the Radeon 9700:
http://download.hightech.com.hk/driver/Radeon9700/RADEON9K_NT.ZIP
Hightech Information System (HIS) is an ATi board partner, so this driver
can be considered official and fit for retail cards.

A Geforce 5xxx or 6xxx card (but not 7xxx) will also meet your requirements.

Old July 31st 06, 09:40 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Andrew Aronoff

... NT4 and 9800 simply don't mix.

There is, however, an NT4 driver for the Radeon 9700...

A Geforce 5xxx or 6xxx card (but not 7xxx) will also meet your requirements.

Thanks for this info, which allowed me to avoid purchasing a product
that would not have met my needs.

regards, Andy
--
**********

"Silent Runners.vbs" at www.silentrunners.org

**********
Old July 31st 06, 07:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Andrew Aronoff

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 21:53:31 -0400, "First of One"
wrote:

There is... an NT4 driver for the Radeon 9700... this driver
can be considered official and fit for retail cards.

I'd opened a ticket with ATI Support about the availability of NT 4.0
drivers. I just received ATI's response:

There are no dirvers for NT from ATI for any card higher then the Radeon 8500

I plan on buying a 9700 and I'll use the drivers you pointed me to.

Thanks and regards, Andy
--

"Silent Runners.vbs" at www.silentrunners.org