Win2K SP4, Matrox G450 and DVD problems

Old August 22nd 03, 04:59 PM
Dragan Cvetkovic

Default Win2K SP4, Matrox G450 and DVD problems

Hi,

I have a Matrox G450 video card (with the latest driver installed) running
under Win2K and I am using Matrox (Ravisend) DVD player to watch DVD movies
on my computer. I have recently installed Win2K service pack 4 (SP4) and
Ravisend DVD player doesn't work correctly any more (output is garbled and
it looks as if there is wrong encryption/decryption used and after some 30
seconds, I get memory read error message).

If I deinstall SP4 (i.e. revert to SP3), everything works again.

I am pretty sure it is not a hardware issue since everything else works
fine and the DVD ROM can play CDs and read data CDs no problem.

Is this a known issue? Is there any fix for that?

I'll prefer to have SP4 installed but if need be, I can work on Win2K SP3
as well.

Thanks in advance and bye,

Dragan
--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

Old August 22nd 03, 05:13 PM
Rick

Have you tried reinstalling Ravisent after applying SP4? If that
doesn't fix the problem, simply avoid SP4 for now. It's a disaster.
There are thousands of reports in Microsoft's internal newsgroups
about problems with it. Stick with SP3 until MS gets its collective
**** together.

Rick

Old August 22nd 03, 05:23 PM
Dragan Cvetkovic

"Rick" writes:

Have you tried reinstalling Ravisent after applying SP4? If that
doesn't fix the problem, simply avoid SP4 for now. It's a disaster.
There are thousands of reports in Microsoft's internal newsgroups
about problems with it. Stick with SP3 until MS gets its collective
**** together.

Rick

Hi Rick,

yes, I have tried reinstalling Ravisent (and Matrox drivers and DirectX and
....) but to no avail. As soon as I uninstalled SP4, things started working
again. I think I'll stick with SP3 for now.

Bye, Dragan

P.S. I see you have the same email address as I do :-)

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

Old August 22nd 03, 10:20 PM
Alan

Are you playing dvd using SPDIF out?

I have the same setup as yourself but I use WinDVD as it plays DTS
soundtracks and offers a great picture. I contacted Matrox for a Ravisend
update, they do not offer an upgrade for the version that came with my G450.

You can purchase PowerDVD and WinDVD for very little at many dealers Oem
versions for $7.00 Cdn. Mine came with a SPDIF card (Maya 7.1 gold). I
also believe both companies offer free trials.

Hope this helps,

Alan

Old August 22nd 03, 10:28 PM
Dragan Cvetkovic

"Alan" writes:

Are you playing dvd using SPDIF out?

What is SPDIF out?

You can purchase PowerDVD and WinDVD for very little at many dealers Oem
versions for $7.00 Cdn. Mine came with a SPDIF card (Maya 7.1 gold). I
also believe both companies offer free trials.

I have tried PowerDVD (before SP4, that is), but have had problems with the
sound (I have SB 128PCI sound card there) so I was back to Ravisent.

Bye, Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

Old August 25th 03, 01:15 AM
Dragan Cvetkovic

"Alan" writes:

If you are watching DVD with your computer, I would suggest changing from
the Soundblaster 128. You have a two options.

1. Upgrade your motherboard to one that has 5.1 or more channel sound -
preferrably with SPDIF out.

It's a 2 CPU motherboard, so I wouldn't like to change the motherboard just
because of the sound.

2. Upgrade your soundcard to one that is designed for HomeTheatre, I use the
Maya gold 7.1 which has provision for adjusting latency configuration. ($99
US delivered)

That sounds more like it. Will have to look around to see what's available
and what works with UNIX as well (this machine is 3-boot machine: Win2K,
Linux and Solaris).

You will find that the playback quality of a PC playing DVD is a is
considerably better than a standalone DVD player. Matrox G450 and G400 are
excellent video cards for the Home Theatre PC.

Hope this helps.

Alan

It does help. I learned something new. Thanks Alan.

Bye, Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

Old August 25th 03, 02:33 AM
God

"Alan" writes:

If you are watching DVD with your computer, I would suggest changing

from
the Soundblaster 128. You have a two options.

1. Upgrade your motherboard to one that has 5.1 or more channel sound -
preferrably with SPDIF out.

It's a 2 CPU motherboard, so I wouldn't like to change the motherboard

just
because of the sound.

*DON'T GET A SOUNDBLASTER*

They don't work properly in SMP.

I've had both a Live! and an Audigy in a BP6 (dual Celly), P2BS-D and a
P-pro dual machine.

The official anwser I got from creative for my BP6 was to either remove on
processor or boot with the /onecpu switch in my boot.ini.

2. Upgrade your soundcard to one that is designed for HomeTheatre, I use

the
Maya gold 7.1 which has provision for adjusting latency configuration.

($99
US delivered)

That sounds more like it. Will have to look around to see what's available
and what works with UNIX as well (this machine is 3-boot machine: Win2K,
Linux and Solaris).

Read my previous reply. I don't know for slowlaris, but in Winblows it
doesn't work properly with SMP (I wouldn't know either for Linux, as that
machine is now a dile server)

Old August 25th 03, 01:38 PM
Alan

Your welcome.

For more information and a great deal of detail on Home Theatre PC, visit
http://www.avsforum.com It is free and it operates under closely monitored
guidelines.

Alan