Will low level formatting rescue a clunking hard disk?

Old February 20th 05, 11:59 PM
OM

Default Will low level formatting rescue a clunking hard disk?

Will low level formatting rescue a clunking hard disk?

In replies to previous posts I've been told that when clunking comes,
this normally means your hard drive's gone, time to give up and buy a
new one!

Well... having wasted several days of my life trying to fix my PC...
and finally reaslising the hard disks were causing the problems... I've
ordered a new one (Seagate - with 5 year warranty, no more damn
Maxtors!).

I've got three hard drives.
I can still access them and read and write files.
(The only thing I can't do for some bizaare reason is install and run
XP - ALL of them just clunk and freeze or reeboot. Whereas other hard
drives work fine with the system!)

I'm just planning to put the hard drives in external boxes and use them
as extra storage space.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

OM

Old February 21st 05, 12:24 AM

On 20 Feb 2005 15:59:48 -0800, "OM" wrote:

[...]

Did you try the Maxtor utilities to see if they are OK?

Old February 21st 05, 12:59 AM
Christo

"OM" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I had a feeling my old school maxtor 80gb ATA drive was packing in a few
months back

someone here told me of a util called PowerMax its a maxtor util like JS
says

try the utils they reveal all

Old February 21st 05, 01:01 AM
philo

"OM" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I do a lot of experimenting and *no* lo level formatting will not fix a
clunking
drive...it's time to replace it.

FWIW: I've lo-level formatted a number of old drives with a lot of bad
sectors...and though lo-level formatting will often "fix" the drives...
fairly often they just go bad again within a few weeks...

I've only had a few drives that lo-level formatting really made the drive
useful again.

Old February 21st 05, 01:43 AM
kony

On 20 Feb 2005 15:59:48 -0800, "OM"
wrote:

Will low level formatting rescue a clunking hard disk?

In replies to previous posts I've been told that when clunking comes,
this normally means your hard drive's gone, time to give up and buy a
new one!

yes

Well... having wasted several days of my life trying to fix my PC...
and finally reaslising the hard disks were causing the problems... I've
ordered a new one (Seagate - with 5 year warranty, no more damn
Maxtors!).

no brand is immune to failure, make backups from now on.

I've got three hard drives.
I can still access them and read and write files.
(The only thing I can't do for some bizaare reason is install and run
XP - ALL of them just clunk and freeze or reeboot. Whereas other hard
drives work fine with the system!)

That's odd, run the Maxtor diagnostics.

Old February 21st 05, 02:22 AM
OM

thanks for all the replies.
erm... i have downloaded the maxstor util...
and it didn't find anything...
a clean bill of health given.
(everything else on my pc: memory, hard disk etc work fine without the
faulty hard drives.)

Old February 21st 05, 08:42 AM
WebWalker

On 20 Feb 2005 15:59:48 -0800, "OM" wrote:

Will low level formatting rescue a clunking hard disk?

No, it wouldn't fix a failing HD.
Low level formatting will just do zero-fill to your HD and it wouldn't
fix a physical damage HD.
Download a diagnosis program from the HD maker site.

--
WebWalker
Old February 21st 05, 07:24 PM

OM wrote:
Will low level formatting rescue a clunking hard disk?

I'm just planning to put the hard drives in external
boxes and use them as extra storage space.

Clunking is often caused by the driver chip(s) for the head positioner
magnet failing, and the only true solution is replacement of the
chip(s). Most Maxtors use 3 tiny chips for this that run very hot if
not ventilated well, so be careful about installing drives into
external boxes, and provide some air movement over these chips, either
through gravity convection (mount drive vertically) or with a fan.