(Ubee) Cable modem acting strange all of a sudden. (Reset fixed it).

Old March 3rd 16, 01:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,nl.comp.hardware,nl.comp.netwerken,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Default (Ubee) Cable modem acting strange all of a sudden. (Reset fixed it).

Today I noticed something strange (couple of minutes ago), 3 march 2016 at
14:50.

I was about to start computering/internetting.

Googling (and facebooking and linked-in something I rarely do).

I noticed the connection was very slow. Websites would load very slow or not
at all.

Strange thing is first it was working ok, then suddenly it seemed to have
stopped working.

Finally I perform a tracert.

I noticed the first hop almost timed out or timed out on second try.

First hop means my cable modem possibly.

I found this odd and decided to tracert the PC itself it return within 5
milliseconds, so it's not the PC software and not the tcp/ip stack being
corrupted by bit flips in memory or so.

Finally I decided that if it's the first and/or second hops and so forth it
must be the cable modem, so I decided to reset the cable modem.

And sure enough once the cable modem was resetted, the tracerts appear
normal again.

So something must have caused the ubee cable modem to flip out. Possibly
something from linked-in or facebook.

Or it could be by chance that something bug occured in the cable modem, or a
very rare bit flip.

I have been very statically charged the last few days cause of some
clothing... and did touch some PC parts which caused sparks.

Perhaps this is a residue of those sparks and caused a bit flip somewhere
down the chain of connected electronics.

Another explanation could be something weird was sent from facebook that
upsetted the cable modem.

For now this is a very rare occurance.

I decide to log it in case it happens again or I want to look back at it !

Oh yeah and ofcourse one last possibility/possibilities is:

1. Hacks, though would be quite a coincidence.
or
2. Some kind of cable modem virus going around.

I did see some document about researchers using special software something
called fyradyne or something, which automatically scans open source linux
based routers for vunerabilities and found quite a few.

As far as I can tell Ubee was not part of the list of vunerable electronics.

I am not sure if Ubee software (assuming it's present) is based on open
source linux ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old March 3rd 16, 02:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Thu, 3 Mar 2016 14:58:16 +0100, "Skybuck Flying"
Gave us:

Today I noticed something strange (couple of minutes ago), 3 march 2016 at
14:50.

I was about to start computering/internetting.

Googling (and facebooking and linked-in something I rarely do).

I noticed the connection was very slow. Websites would load very slow or not
at all.

Strange thing is first it was working ok, then suddenly it seemed to have
stopped working.

Finally I perform a tracert.

I noticed the first hop almost timed out or timed out on second try.

You're such an idiot.

First hop means my cable modem possibly.

You're such an idiot.

I found this odd and decided to tracert the PC itself it return within 5
milliseconds, so it's not the PC software and not the tcp/ip stack being
corrupted by bit flips in memory or so.

You're ****ing brain is intelligence flipped.
You're such an idiot.

Finally I decided that if it's the first and/or second hops and so forth it
must be the cable modem, so I decided to reset the cable modem.

You're such an idiot.

And sure enough once the cable modem was resetted, the tracerts appear
normal again.

You're so stupid that you likely did not check the F fitting to see if
it was tight and likely left it loose or made it loose yourself. That
includes all of the F fittings in the chain all the way out to you
exterior connection points.

So something must have caused the ubee cable modem to flip out.

PEBKAC

Possibly
something from linked-in or facebook.

You're a brainless wonder.

Or it could be by chance that something bug occured in the cable modem, or a
very rare bit flip.

The thing is that it is extremely rare that you get ANYTHING right.

I have been very statically charged the last few days cause of some
clothing... and did touch some PC parts which caused sparks.

You are such an idiot..
You are an extreme idiot, in fact.

Perhaps this is a residue of those sparks and caused a bit flip somewhere
down the chain of connected electronics.

Residue? I think that YOU suffered from infant mortality and your mom
forgot to flush you.

Another explanation could be something weird was sent from facebook that
upsetted the cable modem.

You are such an idiot..

For now this is a very rare occurance.

Not with the stupid **** you do with your gear it isn't.

I decide to log it in case it happens again or I want to look back at it !

Someone hit you in the head with a log when you were a baby.

Oh yeah and ofcourse one last possibility/possibilities is:

1. Hacks, though would be quite a coincidence.
or
2. Some kind of cable modem virus going around.

You are such an idiot..

I did see some document about researchers using special software something
called fyradyne or something, which automatically scans open source linux
based routers for vunerabilities and found quite a few.

Someone used fryabrain software on you.

As far as I can tell Ubee was not part of the list of vunerable electronics.

I am not sure if Ubee software (assuming it's present) is based on open
source linux ?

No, dumb****. If that were true, they would have to provide the
source and people just as stupid as you would be out there hacking cable
modems everywhere.

AGAIN...

You are such an idiot.
Old March 3rd 16, 04:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,nl.comp.hardware,nl.comp.netwerken,sci.electronics.design
John Larkin[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Our cable modem hangs once in a while. A power cycle fixes it.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics