Multibus Failover, Linux and HBA

Old November 22nd 04, 12:39 PM
Niko!

Default Multibus Failover, Linux and HBA

Hallo...
is there an HBA capable of doing automatic failover in Linux over a multibus
failover configuration (multipath) in order to avoid use of
securepath,veritas devicemapper software?

thank you

Old November 22nd 04, 02:50 PM
Michael Ettengruber

"Niko!" wrote in message
Hallo...
is there an HBA capable of doing automatic failover in Linux over a
multibus
failover configuration (multipath) in order to avoid use of
securepath,veritas devicemapper software?

No, because it´s not the HBA who does the fail-over but an
application/driver above. AFAIK there is no MPIO-Feature from a Linux
distribution like the Windows MPIO-feature. Tru64 and OVMS have the feature
embedded in the OS.
HTH

Etti
DoD #2503

Old November 23rd 04, 06:57 AM
David A.Lethe

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 14:50:12 +0100, "Michael Ettengruber"
wrote:

"Niko!" wrote in message
Hallo...
is there an HBA capable of doing automatic failover in Linux over a
multibus
failover configuration (multipath) in order to avoid use of
securepath,veritas devicemapper software?

No, because it´s not the HBA who does the fail-over but an
application/driver above. AFAIK there is no MPIO-Feature from a Linux
distribution like the Windows MPIO-feature. Tru64 and OVMS have the feature
embedded in the OS.
HTH

Etti
DoD #2503

Qlogic has MPIO drivers and software that you can download that works
with their FC HBAs only. There is no load balancing capability, but
it most definately provides path failover. I believe Emulex also
now has such drivers.

YOu can also configure the LINUX md device driver to do MPIO, but I've
seen info from people saying it really doesn't work unless you run 2.6
kernel.

David
Old November 23rd 04, 10:49 AM
Niko!

Qlogic has MPIO drivers and software that you can download that works
with their FC HBAs only. There is no load balancing capability, but
it most definately provides path failover. I believe Emulex also
now has such drivers.

I'm writing them just now!

YOu can also configure the LINUX md device driver to do MPIO, but I've
seen info from people saying it really doesn't work unless you run 2.6
kernel.

Umh... are you sure you are not speaking about "dm" (device mapper) instead
of md ?

David

thanks...

Niko

Old December 16th 04, 01:35 AM
Mhilburn

We utilize SecurePath software from HP. This software provide
automated failover for the HBA.

--
Mhilburn