Nero 6 Ultra now won't burn any .vob files to DVD

Old November 25th 06, 12:55 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Kevin

Default Nero 6 Ultra now won't burn any .vob files to DVD

I've never had so much trouble with a piece of software in my life. Now,
after burning several good DVD's (backing up my movie collection for
safekeeping) my copy of Nero 6 Ultra is returning write error messages and
refusing to burn any more DVD's. I've tried four different titles so far
and none will burn.

I'm using Imation DVD-R 16X rated blanks. My copy of Nero is fully updated
and I have the ASPI dll from the Ahead website installed. I've been able to
burn five of my movies with no problems until yesterday. Nero Burning Rom
works fine up to the point where I start the burn. The burn gets about two
minutes along and in all cases, stops with the write error message as
follows from the log text:

4:35:08 PM #28 CDR - 1135 File Writer.cpp, Line 311
Write Error
D: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B

When I configure the burn, I am given no options to change the write speed
from 4X. It is the only option given. I can burn data DVD's just fine.
I'm at a loss as to the cause of this problem. It is extremely frustrating
when software works like this software works. If anyone has any ideas, I
would be most appreciative. I'm checking to see if any of the most recent
Windows Updates could be causing some problems, but I'm not having much luck
there.

Old November 25th 06, 06:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Kevin wrote:

[...]

Try uninstall with CleanTool and then reinstall. If still problem, post
the complete error log sans registration key.
http://ww2.nero.com/nero7/enu/General_CleanTool.html
..

Who Is Mike Richter and
Why Are They Saying All These Horrible Things About Him?

(No Mikey S-lickers have been able to prove ANY of the following is)
( a LIBEL -- despite Mikey claimed to have PROOF of misquotes !! )

(No Pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of these is a LIBEL )
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have PROOF of libels & misquotes!)

Wife Beating Stopped, Mike Richter?
Mike Richter got Big Balls !!!

Mike Richter is a LIAR (wife beating)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (critical bugs)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (major bug)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda limit)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (no secret)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (no secret)(ii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (dae)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd)(ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd)(iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (no enhanced cd)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd/cdr-faq)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/cd-text)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/sao/tao)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/single-session)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/single-session)(iii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(ii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(iv)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/plextor)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iv)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(v)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(8a)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(9a)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iv)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (v)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (viii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ix)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (x)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (xi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (xii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (supplied cd)

Frauds by Mike Richter (1 of 2)
Frauds by Mike Richter (2 of 2)

Apologize for Mike Richter's Lying? (major bug)
Apologize for Mike Richter's Lying? (critical bugs)
Apologize for Mike Richter's Lying? (early/often in beta)

Mike Richter Dishonest?

Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd)(ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd)(iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (winxp/udf)(i)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/single/multi-session)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/single/multi-session)(ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (mixed-mode/single/multi-session)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (700MB/multi-GB)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(Ezcd)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(tao/dao)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(only dao)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(yes/no)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(iv)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(v)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(vi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(vii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(viii)

(To be continued)
Old November 25th 06, 02:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Dan G

You are using media that is not supported by your burner's firmware, which
is why you only have 4x write speed option.

The burn failure is probably due to bad write quality.

Either change your media, or replace the burner with one that supports all
the current media types.

Old November 25th 06, 11:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Kevin

"Dan G" wrote in message
. ..
You are using media that is not supported by your burner's firmware, which
is why you only have 4x write speed option.

Why did it burn five good disks (or any at all) if the Imation blanks are
not supported by the firmware? I've burned data to these same blanks at
both 4X and 16X.

The burn failure is probably due to bad write quality.

Either change your media, or replace the burner with one that supports all
the current media types.

The burner does support all current media types. It burns to both +/- RW
and both +/- R for DVD's from 1X to 16X and burns to dual layer disks. Of
course, it also burns CD's as well.

I've seen blanks from Verbatim suggested. What other brands might I
consider?

Old November 26th 06, 02:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Dan G

"Kevin" wrote in message

"Dan G" wrote in message
. ..
You are using media that is not supported by your burner's firmware,

which
is why you only have 4x write speed option.

Why did it burn five good disks (or any at all) if the Imation blanks are
not supported by the firmware? I've burned data to these same blanks at
both 4X and 16X.

Imation does not make media, they re-sell media from several makers. One
spindle is not the same as the next, and your drive's firmware knows this.
Your LG is an older drive that does not support all 16x media types. With
Imation, it's even possible to get different media types in the same
spindle.

For the best shot at compatability, buy Taiyo Yuden media from www.rima.com.
I'd recommend you get the 8x type for your drive.

Even Verbatim uses media from different makers, although it's more likely to
be consistantly similar.

Also, you do not need ASPI installed, and it can cause conflicts with some
motherboard drivers, remove it using a free program called "KillASPI"

Also avoid burning ANY media at 16x with this burner, it is not much good at
16x and failure rates will be high, especially with cheap media like
Imation.

Old November 26th 06, 02:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Dan G

I did some research on your drive. Apparently this is an OEM drive from LG,
was sold mostly in Dell systems and some HP, ACER, etc. The drive has had a
lot of problems, and the firmware support has been very poor. Your drive may
be dying, or it may be a media incompatability.

I'll repeat what I said previously, either find media that this drive likes,
or replace the drive. You can get a new drive from NewEgg for $40, which is
less than a few spindles of media. Recommended replacements would be
NEC-3550 or LG-H22N. Either of these will provide a high degre of media
compatability and reliable burns. However, your current version of Nero is
an OEM version that is locked to that particular drive, so it won't work
with an NEC burner. IT may or may not work with a newer LG burner.

Old November 27th 06, 02:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Kevin

"Dan G" wrote in message
. ..

"Kevin" wrote in message

"Dan G" wrote in message
. ..
You are using media that is not supported by your burner's firmware,

which
is why you only have 4x write speed option.

Why did it burn five good disks (or any at all) if the Imation blanks are
not supported by the firmware? I've burned data to these same blanks at
both 4X and 16X.

Imation does not make media, they re-sell media from several makers. One
spindle is not the same as the next, and your drive's firmware knows this.
Your LG is an older drive that does not support all 16x media types. With
Imation, it's even possible to get different media types in the same
spindle.

Yes, I am aware that the lable does not necessarily reflect the actual
manufacturer of the media. I use the Nero Info Tools to check media
details.

For the best shot at compatability, buy Taiyo Yuden media from
www.rima.com.
I'd recommend you get the 8x type for your drive.

Even Verbatim uses media from different makers, although it's more likely
be consistantly similar.

Also, you do not need ASPI installed, and it can cause conflicts with some
motherboard drivers, remove it using a free program called "KillASPI"

Nero technical support has advised me to download and install the latest
ASPI.dll from their website. This is what I have done.

Old November 27th 06, 02:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Kevin

"Dan G" wrote in message
. ..
I did some research on your drive. Apparently this is an OEM drive from LG,
was sold mostly in Dell systems and some HP, ACER, etc. The drive has had
lot of problems, and the firmware support has been very poor. Your drive
may
be dying, or it may be a media incompatability.

It's in my Dimension 4700 and is a Dell OEM installation. I've downloaded
and installed the latest firmware off the Dell Support website for it. I'm
trying some Maxell blanks I picked up to see if it likes those any better
than the Imation.

I'll repeat what I said previously, either find media that this drive
likes,
or replace the drive. You can get a new drive from NewEgg for $40, which
is
less than a few spindles of media. Recommended replacements would be
NEC-3550 or LG-H22N. Either of these will provide a high degre of media
compatability and reliable burns. However, your current version of Nero is
an OEM version that is locked to that particular drive, so it won't work
with an NEC burner. IT may or may not work with a newer LG burner.

My copy of Nero is a retail copy. I'm going to try uninstalling it and
using the cleaner off the Nero website then reinstalling the suite. If that
and different media don't show good results, I think I may yank the drive
and find something else.

A friend suggested that I may be pushing the limits of the media with some
of the burns I have been trying. I have several burns of 4.35 GB in size
and while the blanks are labeled as 4.7 GB in capacity, my friend thinks I
should be leaving even more room than the 350 MB cushion I already have been
using. Nero Burning Rom indicates plenty of room for these burns, so I'm
not sure about that idea.

Old November 27th 06, 07:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Dan G

"Kevin" wrote in message
.. .
Nero technical support has advised me to download and install the latest
ASPI.dll from their website. This is what I have done.

Not surprising, but it's still very bad advice. Current versions of Nero
don't use ASPI at all, and older versions use Nero's own ASPI, is that what
you installed? If so, it's fine because it's not "system ASPI", (it goes in
the Ahead folder and not the system folder)..

Far more problems have been created by installing ASPI than have ever been
solved.

Old November 27th 06, 07:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Dan G

"Kevin" wrote in message
.. .
A friend suggested that I may be pushing the limits of the media with some
of the burns I have been trying. I have several burns of 4.35 GB in size
and while the blanks are labeled as 4.7 GB in capacity, my friend thinks I
should be leaving even more room than the 350 MB cushion I already have

been
using. Nero Burning Rom indicates plenty of room for these burns, so I'm
not sure about that idea.

Lowering your burn speed is a very good idea. That drive in particular
should never burn faster than 12x, and 8x is best. Under no circumstances
should you use 16x. Decreasing the size of the disc is just functionally
lowering the burn speed.