Old Laptop & broadband compatability?

Old September 22nd 05, 05:50 PM
BillL

Default Old Laptop & broadband compatability?

Hi all, I have a friend with a Acer 505 series laptop which has the
following core specs: -

CPU: Mobile Intel Celeron-A, 466 MHz (7 x 67)

RAM: 128 MB

Chipset: Intel Banister 82440MX

Win98SE

I've checked the minimum specs out on British Telecoms site for ADSL and the
laptop meets or exceeds the minimum specs. However, I was just wondering
with such an old OS (which MS no longer supports) and hardware. if there are
other things I need to worry about (e.g. only USB 1.1 support, ADSL modem
compatability etc.). If this were the case would it be sensible to try and
install WinME on the machine?

My friend only wants the laptop to be able to run Word and IE/OE so it
doesn't matter that its a slow machine.

TIA

BillL

Old September 22nd 05, 06:08 PM
GT

"BillL" wrote in message
.uk...
Hi all, I have a friend with a Acer 505 series laptop which has the
following core specs: -

CPU: Mobile Intel Celeron-A, 466 MHz (7 x 67)

RAM: 128 MB

Chipset: Intel Banister 82440MX

Win98SE

I've checked the minimum specs out on British Telecoms site for ADSL and
the laptop meets or exceeds the minimum specs. However, I was just
wondering with such an old OS (which MS no longer supports) and hardware.
if there are other things I need to worry about (e.g. only USB 1.1
support, ADSL modem compatability etc.). If this were the case would it be
sensible to try and install WinME on the machine?

Win98 should be fine. Don't go near WinME - its buggy and alot worse than
Win98. If the PC has USB, then a standard (free with most suppliers) USB
broadband modem should be just fine - you need to make sure that the PC can
power the USB device, but again that is standard for internal USB
connectors. It will say either in the Device Manager or in the manual.

Don't forsee you having anything other than the normal teething problems.

Old September 22nd 05, 06:08 PM
Steve

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 16:50:54 +0000, BillL wrote:

CPU: Mobile Intel Celeron-A, 466 MHz (7 x 67)

RAM: 128 MB

Chipset: Intel Banister 82440MX

Win98SE

I've checked the minimum specs out on British Telecoms site for ADSL and the
laptop meets or exceeds the minimum specs. However, I was just wondering
with such an old OS (which MS no longer supports) and hardware. if there are
other things I need to worry about (e.g. only USB 1.1 support, ADSL modem
compatability etc.). If this were the case would it be sensible to try and
install WinME on the machine?

I was using a 333Mhz machine, 128 Meg RAM, I was running Win98 on. I
access DSL through a D-Link router. That old 333 worked just fine. I
bought a used Dell Precision 410 dual 750Mhz or I'd still be using it. I
also have a 266MHz that worked just fine.

My everyday, and only, laptop is a 550Mhz running Win98, 64 Meg RAM.
Does just great on DSL. When I try to install Win98se I get tons of
errors so I stick with Win98.

I wouldn't waste my time 'upgrading' to ME.

$.02
Steve
Old September 22nd 05, 06:38 PM
BillL

"Steve" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thanks for the replies, very reassuring. Now off to try out this Serious Sam
II demo ...

Old September 22nd 05, 09:03 PM
Alceryes

Windows 98 and Windows Me 'DO NOT' have the most optimal settings for
broadband access. Refer to this website to correct the issue...

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
--

"I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
- Alceryes

.uk...

Old September 22nd 05, 11:47 PM
philo

BillL wrote:
Hi all, I have a friend with a Acer 505 series laptop which has the
following core specs: -

CPU: Mobile Intel Celeron-A, 466 MHz (7 x 67)

RAM: 128 MB

Chipset: Intel Banister 82440MX

Win98SE

I've checked the minimum specs out on British Telecoms site for ADSL and the
laptop meets or exceeds the minimum specs. However, I was just wondering
with such an old OS (which MS no longer supports) and hardware. if there are
other things I need to worry about (e.g. only USB 1.1 support, ADSL modem
compatability etc.). If this were the case would it be sensible to try and
install WinME on the machine?

I have a similar machine and it works great on my dsl line...
i'm using it now

do not even think of using winME however!
Old September 23rd 05, 07:24 PM
BillL

"philo" wrote in message
BillL wrote:
Hi all, I have a friend with a Acer 505 series laptop which has the
following core specs: -

CPU: Mobile Intel Celeron-A, 466 MHz (7 x 67)

RAM: 128 MB

Chipset: Intel Banister 82440MX

Win98SE

I've checked the minimum specs out on British Telecoms site for ADSL and
the laptop meets or exceeds the minimum specs. However, I was just
wondering with such an old OS (which MS no longer supports) and hardware.
if there are other things I need to worry about (e.g. only USB 1.1
support, ADSL modem compatability etc.). If this were the case would it
be sensible to try and install WinME on the machine?

I have a similar machine and it works great on my dsl line...
i'm using it now

do not even think of using winME however!

On a related issue with win98SE and always on BB which Anti-virus & Firewall
SW would people reccomend (I know there's lots out there) ? I use Micro
PC-cillin for AV & FW duties on my desktop - any opinions?

TIA

BillL

A S-Video connection fried both my laptop and TV! Help needed! [email protected] General 2 March 2nd 05 06:31 PM
Gaming Laptop Quaoar Homebuilt PC's 0 July 20th 04 03:06 PM
HD boots from desktop but "Invalid System Disk" error on laptop? Anonymous Jack General Hardware 1 November 24th 03 01:43 PM
laptop xedos Homebuilt PC's 1 July 12th 03 09:38 PM
laptop xedos Homebuilt PC's 0 July 12th 03 05:11 PM