Need Motherboard

Old September 22nd 05, 03:25 AM
Mel

Default Need Motherboard

I think I need a new motherboard in an emachine T2812. AMD 2800, 512
Ram. The only disc I have are to reload system. These are the restore
discs that came with machine. Can I swap motherboard and not have to
reload. The HD is good. How do I swap the motherboard. I don't mean
how to physically do that. I can do that. The mobo will come with a
motherboard disc. When do I load it. I guess the copy of XP is set p
for the other mobo. What is the order in which I should proceed?

Any recommendation for a mobo for the amd 2800. It needs to have room
for my son's video card which I believe is AGP or could be PCI. He
also has PCI Video Capture Card and a Sound Card which are PCI. He has
a CD ROM and DVD ROM.

Please help

Old September 22nd 05, 03:50 AM
badgolferman

Mel, 9/21/2005, ,10:25 :32
PM, wrote:

I think I need a new motherboard in an emachine T2812. AMD 2800, 512
Ram. The only disc I have are to reload system. These are the restore
discs that came with machine. Can I swap motherboard and not have to
reload. The HD is good. How do I swap the motherboard. I don't mean
how to physically do that. I can do that. The mobo will come with a
motherboard disc. When do I load it. I guess the copy of XP is set p
for the other mobo. What is the order in which I should proceed?

Any recommendation for a mobo for the amd 2800. It needs to have room
for my son's video card which I believe is AGP or could be PCI. He
also has PCI Video Capture Card and a Sound Card which are PCI. He has
a CD ROM and DVD ROM.

Please help

If you are using WXP or W2K you might get lucky by replacing the
motherboard with one that has the same chipset (brains) of the
motherboard.

--
No matter what happens someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
Old September 22nd 05, 08:47 PM
Alceryes

discs that came with machine. Can I swap motherboard and not have to
reload. The HD is good. How do I swap the motherboard. I don't mean

Many restore CD's examine the motherboard's ESCD to look for name branding
(i.e. before the restore starts it looks for an oem 'emachine' motherboard)
so your restore CD's might not work. 'Badgolfermans' advice is pretty good
and would save you a lot of work if successful.
--

"I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
- Alceryes

Old September 22nd 05, 11:37 PM
DaveW

If you change the motherboard, then you MUST reformat the harddrive and do a
fresh install of the OS. Otherwise you will get nasty Registry errors and
ongoing data corruption. And, yes, you will have to buy a new OS disk.

--
DaveW
__________

Old September 23rd 05, 01:06 AM
kony

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:37:18 -0700, "DaveW"
wrote:

If you change the motherboard, then you MUST

No.

reformat the harddrive

No.

and do a
fresh install of the OS.

No.

Otherwise you will get nasty Registry errors

No.

and
ongoing data corruption.

No,

And, yes, you will have to buy a new OS disk.

I think you're on a roll here, because unless the EULA
specifically mentioned the motherboard as the component the
Windows license is tied to, then this too, would be another;

No.