help getting drive to show up

Old April 9th 04, 09:12 PM
fear

Default help getting drive to show up

I have a windows XP machine, and the main hard drive was not booting
at all. It has a second drive, drive G that stored some files. I took
out the main C hard drive, replaced it with a spare and re-installed
windows XP. But now windows can't find the G drive; it's not listed in
the folders list or in My Computer or the Hardward list, nothing...
I know it's still in there, I saw it. But how does one get Windows XP
to actually find the drive and access it? Is this not possible for
some reason? Is there anything I can do at all? what I wanted to do
was get the files off the G drive, then swicth that with the original
C drive to get the files off of that, or see if there is any way from
there I can get that drive/OS to start working again (the subject of
another post I'm sure - deleting massing amounts of spyware that
woulnd't not delete, as well as trying to turn off the XP logon screen
since there's only one user and no password - this caused it to stop
booting, even in safe mode).

Help!?? anyone?
Old April 10th 04, 07:58 PM
Greg

Try right clicking on "my computer"
select "manage"
select "disk management"
Hopefully your drive shows up there. You can then intitialize the
drive. If it is not recognized you check the actual physical settigs.
Make sure your jumpers are set properly. Hopefully that helps.

(Aaron) wrote in message . com...
(fear) wrote in message om...
[...]

Try using a start up disk to boot and access your harddrives. Maybe
then just use DOS commands to move files to C: drive, and then you
will have them. Or on disk, if they're small. I don't know how to
create Start-Up Disk in XP, just search in the help file.

Hope that helps,
Aaron

Old April 13th 04, 07:56 AM
Robert

I had this sort of problem when installing a DVD burner into my
system. When i installed it i booted up the computer and the display
showed a blinking cursor at the top left and didn't boot up. But I
finally got it to work here's how.
When you take out the drive you're replacing, take a look at the back
of the drive where the cables are. There should be two rows of three
pins each. Hold the drive upright and note where the jumper is. The
jumper is that little block that is covering two of the pins.
Wherever the jumper is make sure it is at the same position as the
replacement drive. Now install the drive as you did before and boot
up the computer and it should work.

Explanation: The position you put the jumper in determines whether
that drive is a master or slave. Master drive is usually the first
drive that is installed in the system. So usually when you install a
second drive of a type like media drives(CD, DVD readers), you usually
set the jumper to slave. Same with hard drives. Floppy drives seem a
bit different because they use a different cable which is twisted. If
you need any more help or my solution didn't help please email me at
.
Old April 14th 04, 02:41 PM
gumshoe99

Well, one thing you can do to help narrow down the problem, if the
other suggestions here didn't work, is to put each hard drive on a
seperate ribbon cable. You could leave your boot drive on the cable
it is already on, making sure it is on the end connector. Then put
your data drive on the CD-Rom cable, doesn't matter which connector.
Disconnect all CD-Roms. Then boot up. When the device information
shows up on the black screen, before Windows begins its boot process,
you should be able to see both drives. There are four possible drives
in the device list, and two should show. Primary master, primary
slave, secondary master, secondary slave. Let us know what shows up.
If both show up, then Windows should recognize them. Sometimes you
have to do a Scan for Hardware Changes (or whatever they call it these
days) in the device manager. In my opinion, Windows has gotten too
complicated.
If one doesn't show up, then you have a hardware problem. The jumper
settings on the drives will have to be changed. Locate the jumper
settings for your drive on the drive itself or on the internet (on
some other computer of course) and make sure the boot drive is set as
Master (stand alone) or cable select. The other drive should be set
to cable select for now, just to make life easier.

Good luck.