G550 and Doom3???

Old August 13th 04, 03:57 PM
Arthur Hagen

J. Clarke wrote:
Arthur Hagen wrote:

True, but on the other hand, they support a lot of things that a
gaming card
doesn't support. Just the inability to watch TV on my 17" monitor
while working on the 19" is enough that the 9600XT goes out again,
only to be used as a spare.

?????? Why are you unable to watch TV on your 17" monitor while
working on the 19"? That mode of operation works very nicely on all
current ATI boards. In display settings, look at "overlay".

Overlay is only supported in "clone" mode. Not feasible with different
monitor sizes and resolution.

Regards,
--
*Art

Old August 13th 04, 08:55 PM
J. Clarke

Arthur Hagen wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:
Arthur Hagen wrote:

True, but on the other hand, they support a lot of things that a
gaming card
doesn't support. Just the inability to watch TV on my 17" monitor
while working on the 19" is enough that the 9600XT goes out again,
only to be used as a spare.

?????? Why are you unable to watch TV on your 17" monitor while
working on the 19"? That mode of operation works very nicely on all
current ATI boards. In display settings, look at "overlay".

Overlay is only supported in "clone" mode. Not feasible with different
monitor sizes and resolution.

Works fine for me.

Regards,

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old August 13th 04, 10:30 PM
Arthur Hagen

J. Clarke wrote:
Arthur Hagen wrote:

Overlay is only supported in "clone" mode. Not feasible with
different monitor sizes and resolution.

Works fine for me.

Care to give me a rundown on how you achieve this?

I open an app that uses overlay (PCTV Vision, Windows Media Player,
Intervideo WinDVD, doesn't matter), and I only get one window, on my main
monitor.
I can't even drag the app over to the other monitor, cause apps using
overlay seems to be limited by the driver to stay on one monitor. Thus it
is worse than not having overlay at all!

Catalyst drivers version 4.7

The "Clone Mode Options" are greyed out, with a notice stating:

These overlay settings are only available in dual-controller
Clone mode, and not single-display or extended desktop
configurations.

Regards,
--
*Art

Old August 13th 04, 11:36 PM
J. Clarke

Arthur Hagen wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:
Arthur Hagen wrote:

Overlay is only supported in "clone" mode. Not feasible with
different monitor sizes and resolution.

Works fine for me.

Care to give me a rundown on how you achieve this?

I open an app that uses overlay (PCTV Vision, Windows Media Player,
Intervideo WinDVD, doesn't matter), and I only get one window, on my main
monitor.
I can't even drag the app over to the other monitor, cause apps using
overlay seems to be limited by the driver to stay on one monitor. Thus it
is worse than not having overlay at all!

Catalyst drivers version 4.7

The "Clone Mode Options" are greyed out, with a notice stating:

These overlay settings are only available in dual-controller
Clone mode, and not single-display or extended desktop
configurations.

It's simple--you enable clone mode and then turn on theater mode. The fact
that the monitors have different resolutions doesn't matter in that mode.
If you want an extended desktop, when you're done watching TV go back to
extended desktop.

It could be more convenient, I admit.

Incidentally, the reason you can't drag to the second monitor is that video
overlay other than theater mode is supported only on the primary monitor.
If you want video on the second monitor and an extended desktop then set
the second monitor as primary and use Hydravision to control which apps
open where.

Regards,