Taiyo Yuden DL DVD

Old February 6th 11, 05:05 AM posted to alt.video.dvd.authoring,alt.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvdr,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,rec.video.dvd.tech
Tom Del Rosso[_3_]

Default Taiyo Yuden DL DVD

Doesn't Taiyo Yuden make DL DVD's? I can't find DL with their name on it.

zero, and remove the last word.

Old February 6th 11, 05:31 AM posted to alt.video.dvd.authoring,alt.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvdr,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,rec.video.dvd.tech
Tom Del Rosso[_3_]

Tom Del Rosso wrote:
Doesn't Taiyo Yuden make DL DVD's? I can't find DL with their name
on it.

Nevermind, I see they're using the JVC name now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiyo_Yuden

zero, and remove the last word.

Old February 6th 11, 02:30 PM posted to alt.video.dvd.authoring,alt.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvdr,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,rec.video.dvd.tech
RickMerrill

Tom Del Rosso wrote:
Tom Del Rosso wrote:
Doesn't Taiyo Yuden make DL DVD's? I can't find DL with their name
on it.

Nevermind, I see they're using the JVC name now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiyo_Yuden

Thanks for the link!

DVDs remain a HUGE PROBLEM with write-them-yourself items.
Also, do it yourself DVDs have a shelf life limited to 3-5 years!

"In October 2008 Taiyo Yuden partnered with JVC to form JVC Advanced Media as a
marketing plan to distribute Taiyo Yuden media globally under the JVC brand name.[7]
DVD media manufactured by Taiyo Yuden has the following media codes:
media code hub stamper code
TAIYOYUDEN: 2× DVD-R GBxxxxxx
TYG01: 4× DVD-R GDxxxxxx
TYG02: 8× DVD-R GGxxxxxx
TYG03: 16× DVD-R GHxxxxxx
TYG11: 8× DVD-R DL BGxxxxxx*
YUDEN000 T01: 4× DVD+R TCxxxxxx or TSxxxxxx
YUDEN000 T02: 8× DVD+R TGxxxxxx
YUDEN000 T03: 16× DVD+R THxxxxxx
* Considered incompatible with burners using outdated firmware"

WHAT IS a DVD-R DL ??????

Old February 6th 11, 03:34 PM posted to alt.video.dvd.authoring,alt.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvdr,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,rec.video.dvd.tech
Tom Del Rosso[_3_]

RickMerrill wrote:

WHAT IS a DVD-R DL ??????

Double Layer.

zero, and remove the last word.

Old February 6th 11, 07:15 PM posted to alt.video.dvd.authoring,alt.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvdr,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,rec.video.dvd.tech
Ant[_3_]

On 2/6/2011 7:34 AM PT, Tom Del Rosso typed:

WHAT IS a DVD-R DL ??????

Double Layer.

Yep, double the size in regular DVD-R. Also, not all drives can read
them.
--
"Everything tastes better at a picnic... the ants, the sand,
everything." --unknown
Old February 6th 11, 10:00 PM posted to alt.video.dvd.authoring,alt.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvdr,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,rec.video.dvd.tech
RickMerrill

Ant wrote:
On 2/6/2011 7:34 AM PT, Tom Del Rosso typed:

WHAT IS a DVD-R DL ??????

Double Layer.

Yep, double the size in regular DVD-R. Also, not all drives can read
them.

Ah, I didn't recognize the label: I have a DL story: the first 5 chapters
of a DVD played fine, but #6 barfed. Owner sent it back and received a
replacement. It had the same problem! Tried to play on another player
and it was AOK. Original player was as you have already guessed single layer,
and the second player was DL - able.

It turns out that certain burn software (I'm not naming names) for DL calculates
how much space it will need and burns chapters on single layer, then it switches to
double layer! I presume the intent of the algorithm is to keep the DL part as much
on the longer portion (outer edge) of the disk.

Old February 9th 11, 01:17 AM posted to alt.video.dvd.authoring,alt.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvdr,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,rec.video.dvd.tech
Ant

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage RickMerrill wrote:
Ant wrote:
On 2/6/2011 7:34 AM PT, Tom Del Rosso typed:

WHAT IS a DVD-R DL ??????

Double Layer.

Yep, double the size in regular DVD-R. Also, not all drives can read
them.

Ah, I didn't recognize the label: I have a DL story: the first 5 chapters
of a DVD played fine, but #6 barfed. Owner sent it back and received a
replacement. It had the same problem! Tried to play on another player
and it was AOK. Original player was as you have already guessed single layer,
and the second player was DL - able.

It turns out that certain burn software (I'm not naming names) for DL calculates
how much space it will need and burns chapters on single layer, then it switches to
double layer! I presume the intent of the algorithm is to keep the DL part as much
on the longer portion (outer edge) of the disk.

Interesting. Yeah, that sounds about right. DLs aren't popular from what
I have seen or heard. I was going to get DL discs, but heard
compatiblity problems so I said forget it. I already had enough with
DVD with their + and - and RWs. Ugh!
--
Quote of the Week: "For while the giants have just been talking about an
information superhighway, the ants have actually been building one: the
Old March 27th 11, 02:11 AM posted to alt.video.dvd.authoring,alt.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvdr,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,rec.video.dvd.tech
Tony[_12_]

On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 09:30:01 -0500, RickMerrill wrote:

Tom Del Rosso wrote:
Tom Del Rosso wrote:
Doesn't Taiyo Yuden make DL DVD's? I can't find DL with their name
on it.

Nevermind, I see they're using the JVC name now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiyo_Yuden

Thanks for the link!

DVDs remain a HUGE PROBLEM with write-them-yourself items.
Also, do it yourself DVDs have a shelf life limited to 3-5 years!

Not true at all. I have plenty of old 1x DVD-Rs from 2003 that are still working fine after 8 years.
Why are u saying otherwise?

Old March 27th 11, 02:16 AM posted to alt.video.dvd.authoring,alt.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvdr,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,rec.video.dvd.tech
Gene E. Bloch[_3_]

Tom Del Rosso wrote:
Tom Del Rosso wrote:
Doesn't Taiyo Yuden make DL DVD's? I can't find DL with their name
on it.

Nevermind, I see they're using the JVC name now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiyo_Yuden

Thanks for the link!

DVDs remain a HUGE PROBLEM with write-them-yourself items.
Also, do it yourself DVDs have a shelf life limited to 3-5 years!

Not true at all. I have plenty of old 1x DVD-Rs from 2003 that are still working fine after 8 years.
Why are u saying otherwise?

What he says is true for some or even many writeable DVDs, but it's not
a universal truth.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old March 27th 11, 03:59 AM posted to alt.video.dvd.authoring,alt.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvdr,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,rec.video.dvd.tech
Rod Speed

wrote:

Tom Del Rosso wrote:
Tom Del Rosso wrote:
Doesn't Taiyo Yuden make DL DVD's? I can't find DL with their
name on it.

Nevermind, I see they're using the JVC name now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiyo_Yuden

Thanks for the link!

DVDs remain a HUGE PROBLEM with write-them-yourself items.
Also, do it yourself DVDs have a shelf life limited to 3-5 years!

Not true at all. I have plenty of old 1x DVD-Rs from 2003 that are
still working fine after 8 years. Why are u saying otherwise?

What he says is true for some or even many writeable DVDs, but it's
not a universal truth.

Its not true of many. None of mine have lasted only that long.

Taiyo Yuden sebastian_dangerfield Cdr 6 June 18th 06 07:09 AM
Buying Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim DVD+R Bruce Cdr 5 May 8th 05 01:32 AM
Any Taiyo Yuden? blah Cdr 6 February 11th 05 07:55 PM
CD-Rs made by Taiyo Yuden XYZ XYZee Cdr 9 April 6th 04 02:56 AM
Problem with Taiyo Yuden cd-r's - help! Jay Cdr 1 April 2nd 04 03:28 PM