Why are desktop PC sold with DVD writer and Dvd reader drives ?

Old May 3rd 06, 05:27 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default Why are desktop PC sold with DVD writer and Dvd reader drives ?

Why are desktop PC sold with DVD writer and Dvd reader drives ?

A DVD writer is also able to read DVD discs, so why two drives ?

Old May 3rd 06, 07:25 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

David D. wrote

Why are desktop PC sold with DVD writer and Dvd reader drives ?

Few are.

A DVD writer is also able to read DVD discs, so why two drives ?

Presumably someone is getting rid of DVD readers that
are pretty useless now with DVD writers so cheap now.

Old May 3rd 06, 09:47 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

David D. wrote:

Why are desktop PC sold with DVD writer and Dvd reader drives ?

A DVD writer is also able to read DVD discs, so why two drives ?

Mainly to allow copying from one to the other. At one time saving wear and
tear on the writer was considered desirable due to their high cost, but
with prices today that's not really an issue anymore.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old May 4th 06, 05:38 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Previously David D. wrote:

Why are desktop PC sold with DVD writer and Dvd reader drives ?

A DVD writer is also able to read DVD discs, so why two drives ?

Sounds like a misconfiguration to me. Maybe supported by
a bogus marketing argument. Or mabe somebody bought too
many readers and is getting rid of them this way.

Arno
Old May 4th 06, 05:51 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

"Arno Wagner" wrote in message ...
Previously David D. wrote:

Why are desktop PC sold with DVD writer and Dvd reader drives ?

A DVD writer is also able to read DVD discs, so why two drives ?

Sounds like a misconfiguration to me. Maybe supported by
a bogus marketing argument. Or mabe somebody bought too
many readers and is getting rid of them this way.

Linux Trolls just don't get modern computing.
Never ripped, (shrunk), and burned a DVD?

Old May 5th 06, 02:58 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

On Wed, 03 May 2006 18:27:15 +0200, David D. wrote:

Why are desktop PC sold with DVD writer and Dvd reader drives ?

A DVD writer is also able to read DVD discs, so why two drives ?

I use both on my main PC. The reader is much better than the writer
at reading marginal or damaged disks (like aging burned disks or
scratched disks), and is faster as well, so I use it for ripping CDs
and DVDs.

That said, it would be easy enough to get by with just a burner, if it
was good at reading marginal disks, and the rest of the PCs around the
home all have single drives.

max

Old May 5th 06, 01:49 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Mr Bilderberg wrote:

Linux Trolls just don't get modern computing.
Never ripped, (shrunk), and burned a DVD?

No. Why would I want to do that? If I want to watch a DVD I either
buy or rent it. Imagine that.

Old May 6th 06, 12:36 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

On Thu, 4 May 2006 09:51:20 -0700, "Mr Bilderberg"
wrote:

Linux Trolls just don't get modern computing.
Never ripped, (shrunk), and burned a DVD?

Still can do that with just one burner and no extra drive of any kind.
With decent DVD burners under $100 (under $50 for cheap models), the
issue of wear is meaningless anyway.

Pop in the original disc, rip to HD, shrink it, burn to blank.
Ripping and shrinking on the fly from DVD to DVD burner is very slow
and can be tedious if there's a coaster and no final ISO image on the
hard drive.
Spam block in place, no emil reply is expected at all.
Old May 6th 06, 01:57 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

wrote:

Linux Trolls just don't get modern computing.
Never ripped, (shrunk), and burned a DVD?

Still can do that with just one burner and no extra drive of any kind.
With decent DVD burners under $100 (under $50 for cheap models), the
issue of wear is meaningless anyway.

Pop in the original disc, rip to HD, shrink it, burn to blank.
Ripping and shrinking on the fly from DVD to DVD burner is very slow
and can be tedious if there's a coaster and no final ISO image on the
hard drive.
--

I don't know of any that shrink on the fly.

DVD shrink creates an ISO and burns it. The advantage of ROM plus burner
is you don't have to swap the disc an hour or two after you started.

Old May 6th 06, 11:41 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

wrote:

Linux Trolls just don't get modern computing.
Never ripped, (shrunk), and burned a DVD?

Still can do that with just one burner and no extra drive of any kind.
With decent DVD burners under $100 (under $50 for cheap models), the
issue of wear is meaningless anyway.

Pop in the original disc, rip to HD, shrink it, burn to blank.
Ripping and shrinking on the fly from DVD to DVD burner is very slow
and can be tedious if there's a coaster and no final ISO image on the
hard drive.

Well, that is about what I expect. Though I don't think that this
operation is "modern computing" except for a very small group
of people.

Arno