Seagate 320GB Sata Problem

Old February 29th 08, 04:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
jjaco_ph

Default Seagate 320GB Sata Problem

Need your help:
I had a seagate 320GBsata drive which failed in less than a year. My
hardware setup: P4 2.6ghz on ASUS P5GL-MX, Nvidia 6600 LE, Leadtech TV
card and a DV card. Symptoms include: bios not detecting the drive
intermittently. Itried using the seagate tools but it failed the test.
I got a replacement from the dealer and the 320gb has no problem. Then
after almost another year(but short of 4 months) the drive is again
showing similar peoblem as my previous drive. Now, I have upgraded to
E4500 and an EMAXX 945GC-1333, 7300GT 128bit-256mb ddr3. By the way, my
primary boot device is an 80gb IDE drive. The 320gb drive is showing
the symptoms of the first 320 drive I got after a large file had been
copied in it or heavy read/write on this drive. (I'm into video
editing)
What's happenning with the Seagate drive? Is it somekind of a
manufacturing defect since both drive experienced the same problem?

Thanks,
Jo

Old February 29th 08, 02:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Feb 28, 11:54 pm, jjaco_ph
wrote:
[...]

It could be that the drives are a bit shaky and you simply wore both
of them out by using them heavily during video editing. This is not a
very intelligent guess but it is the best one I can come up with at
the moment.

Boris.
Old February 29th 08, 03:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
CBFalconer

jjaco_ph wrote:

I had a seagate 320GB sata drive which failed in less than a
year. My hardware setup: P4 2.6ghz on ASUS P5GL-MX, Nvidia 6600
LE, Leadtech TV card and a DV card. Symptoms include: bios not
detecting the drive intermittently. Itried using the seagate
tools but it failed the test. I got a replacement from the dealer
and the 320gb has no problem. Then after almost another year
(but short of 4 months) the drive is again showing similar
peoblem as my previous drive.

My pure guess is that you are running them too hot.

[page]: http://cbfalconer.home.att.net
Try the download section.

Old February 29th 08, 03:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Alex Mizrahi

jp What's happenning with the Seagate drive? Is it somekind of a
jp manufacturing defect since both drive experienced the same problem?

if you're using them with same PSU and chassis, it might be a problem of
your system:
PSU not giving enough power or drive got too hot w/o proper cooling.

Old March 1st 08, 01:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Gary Sams

I have had a problem of going through a hard drive, of various makes and
sizes, every 12 to 18 months. My local computer wizard blamed it on the
flashing lights on the side of my case. He says he always disconnects them
because he thinks the electrical flickering can cause long term problems.
Sounds a bit unlikely to me, but to be on the safe side I have replaced the
case, the motherboard, and the PSU. They were getting on anyway, and I can't
stand the hassle of another fried hard disc,

Gary

Old March 2nd 08, 04:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

"jjaco_ph" wrote in message

[...]

Did you pack the hard disk right next to other drives? Or did you
make sure there was space on each side of the hard disk to let it
dissipate its heat?

Old March 2nd 08, 04:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

"Gary Sams" wrote in message
I have had a problem of going through a hard drive, of various makes
and sizes, every 12 to 18 months. My local computer wizard blamed it
on the flashing lights on the side of my case. He says he always
disconnects them because he thinks the electrical flickering can
cause long term problems. Sounds a bit unlikely to me, but to be on
the safe side I have replaced the case, the motherboard, and the PSU.
They were getting on anyway, and I can't stand the hassle of another
fried hard disc,

So what is the label on those hard disks? Gremlins? "Oooooh, bright
light, bright light."

Old March 3rd 08, 11:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT

"Gary Sams" wrote in message
I have had a problem of going through a hard drive, of various makes and
sizes, every 12 to 18 months. My local computer wizard blamed it on the
flashing lights on the side of my case. He says he always disconnects them
because he thinks the electrical flickering can cause long term problems.
Sounds a bit unlikely to me, but to be on the safe side I have replaced the
case, the motherboard, and the PSU. They were getting on anyway, and I
can't stand the hassle of another fried hard disc,

I would stop referring to him as a wizard if he thinks flashing lights will
affect a hard drive. He is not a wizard - more a witch doctor! The only
flashing light that would affect a hard disk would be a lightening strike.

I agree with all the other diagnosis here - probably overheating due to: 1.
no movement of air around the drive. 2. drives packed together too close and
heating each other too much. 3. Generally too hot case.

Old March 4th 08, 08:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 11:28:39 -0000, "GT"
wrote:

"Gary Sams" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

No mention was made of the power supply, if it is overlooked
as being potentially important then perhaps similar
oversight caused use of one that isn't very good.

I suppose the OP could just be very unlucky or have a (UPS,
Fedex, etc) delivery man that likes to play soccer with
packages.

Also if the drives keep failing it might be good to at least
implement a RAID1 array so it doesn't cause reoccuring
downtime, though if the PSU is marginal that addt'l load
might make the problem even worse.
Old March 8th 08, 11:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_8_]

Somewhere on teh intarweb "jjaco_ph" typed:
[...]

I can think of four likely reasons for failu

1) Heat.

2) Warmth.

3) Temperature.

4) Thermal.

Those are most likely causes by a factor of 95.732%

Another possible reason is that the drives could have the AAK firmware which
is optimised for boot drives rather than data drives. (Although I can't see
how this would cause failure, more like just slow operation with large
files.)
--
Shaun.